Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flathead Dave, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This is what I'm doing so far;
    27 Coupe on a 28-29 frame w/ rear coil overs.
    51 8BA w/C4 trans/Lokar shifter
    9" Rear End

Motor runs fine. 1969 Trans was rebuilt. Rear end is out of a 1978 Cougar(so I was told).
    Frame was built here, in Ontario, CA. by Classic Street Rod MFG.

I bought the motor from a guy for $500. It had a cracked head and that pesky crack in the block from the water hole to the bolt hole. Nothing to worry about. It's completely stock and I converted it to 12v.

I have been collecting parts for the Coupe for almost five years. I pretty much have them all. I need to make the wood frames for the windows and I might just buy the top roof wood. I manufactured the trunk floor because the original replacement piece is very flimsy and really doesn't fit properly for hot rodding. I had to make a few small pieces that were missing. I got lucky and only had to replace the sub frame cross members. The sub frame rails are in very good condition.

There was minimal rust in the fender welds and doors. The top was chopped off so I welded it back on. The guy chopped it to make a high boy out of it and I was lucky that he kept the top.

I found the tires at the Pomona Swap Meet. The aluminum wheels are from a 1992 Ford Explorer and they were pretty nasty when I got them from the junk yard. A lot of road rash and it took a lot of sanding and elbow grease got them looking almost new. I did pretty good work on them.

I got the Lokar shifter at the Long Beach Swap Meet pretty cheap. Only $140.

Gave the guy $25 for the trans and it did work but I decided to have it rebuilt anyway.

The black and white photos are when I first picked the coupe up in Kansas. That is my brother next to the Coupe. And a picture at night at the motel parking lot. The frame is a 1982 Mazda P.U. that the guy butchered and the motor in the pic is a Dauntless 225 that I sold and is the same one in my avitar. Some of the parts that I am selling on the H.A.M.B. are from this Coupe. (bumper, light, light stands and headers.

I am going to pull the body back off this weekend so that I can drill for the mounting holes and do the bottom of the fire wall.

So far so good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Look to be a good reasonable build Hot Rod T !!
    Have not seen to many with stock Top ,

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looking good! Dont see a lot of tall Ts.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Any new pictures or progress?

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I did pull the body back off in March and did drill out the mounting holes in the frame and body. All holes matched up perfectly and the body is ready to be bolted into place. And now.....

Nothing new. I haven't been able to work on it for a while. I am trying to finish the front floor board but I can't bend my body right now due to a recent injury. It's pretty tight underneath the dash for a 6' man.

At the moment of my stand still, I need to weld the toe plate into place and then cut a door/hole for the master cylinder access. And then I can mount my fuse box and accelerator. Once I get the accelerator in, I can make it scream up and down my street until the police show up and I play all innocent and tell them that the car was begging to go up and down the street and how it wouldn't listen to me about not being tagged, yet....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016