Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project Low Buck 32 Ford Rides Again!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Jul 29, 2016.

1. I almost said Low (er) Buck 32 since I keep throwing money at this thing. Still, it is a budget build and it didn't completely break the bank. So, I guess it works.

Some may remember I bought this chassis as a pile of parts a few years ago and paid the speed shop here in town to build it. I quickly got overwhelmed with it and other things and tried to cut some corners just to get done, which of course never works. Anyway, it's back on the road and burning gas.

It's not anything you real Hot Rod guys are in to but for a poser like myself it's about the best I can do.

But, hey... we're having fun.

HPIM2473.JPG HPIM2478.JPG HPIM2481.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    brEad, wedjim, Hotrodmyk and 15 others like this.
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Good looking car! I bet it's a blast. Look forward to seeing it.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  3. Cool.
    Al.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  4. Somehow I managed to get the whole body in the bed of a LWB truck, believe it or not, and off to be blasted.

Nice paint is not in the cards right now so I just did some light blocking and sprayed it in my own custom mix of Rustoleum red primer with a little flat brown mixed in.

HPIM9694.JPG HPIM0114.JPG HPIM0910.JPG HPIM0912.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

5. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Fordor Ron likes this.
  6. A few interior pics. Front seat is a 3rd row bench from a Ford Expedition I bought off of Craigslist for $5o bucks. I had to cut about 4" out of it and tack it back together to make it fit. Rear seat is plywood that I had the trim guy build to match. A full interior is not in the budget so the seats are all the upholstery we have at the moment. Fabric is outdoor Sunbrella fabric with vinyl backs & sides.

The crossmember in the chassis interfered with a floor shifter so I went with a column shift to keep things easy. I think it works being that the car is basically a wagon anyway.

Column mount and dash bezel are billit cheepo units I bought off ebay. I had them powder coated black so they wouldn't look so Street Rodder-ish.

Rubber mat is from Tractor Supply cut to fit.

HPIM2487.JPG HPIM2488.JPG HPIM2489.JPG HPIM2491.JPG HPIM2492.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Looking..

Fordor Ron likes this.
  8. The chassis came with the coil overs and disc brake kit so I just ran them. I had the whole chassis and running gear powder coated in 80% gloss black to give it all a more old school vibe.

There's something about blacking things out makes them appear more vintage looking even when the parts are new. A few chrome pieces keeps it from being to dark though.

Rear end is an 8" Ford out of an old Maverick that a buddy rebuilt for me. It's painted in Rustoleum satin black.

Taillights are a leftover set of generic stainless re-pops I had on my 66 C10 truck.

HPIM2475.JPG HPIM2476.JPG HPIM2480.JPG HPIM2483.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. Shit I think you done great.

Donald A. Smith and Fordor Ron like this.
  10. I rebuilt all the old latches and window mechanisms with new springs and everything but I don't trust the rear latches to keep the rear suicide doors from flying open on the highway. So, some brass chicken coop latches give a little extra insurance until I can figure out something else.

Top is a Juliano's kit with a 1/4" plywood underlayment.

HPIM2490.JPG HPIM2486.JPG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    brEad, T-roaster, jalopykid and 2 others like this.
  11. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I'd drive that. Nice job. The paint looks great if it'll stay like that. Hopefully dirt and a few washes won't ruin it.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  12. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Motor is a rebuilt 283 with re-pop Corvette valve covers and a single Carter 600 carb. Bought a new Taiwan HEI distributor off of eBay and a black cap for cheap and paired them up with a set of Corvette plug wires. The HEI makes plenty of spark and is cheap & reliable but they're pretty big in size. The plain black cap helps it blend in more.

Air cleaner is one of those re-pop mushroom deals that I had powder coated to mimic an oil bath air cleaner. Bought a $10 fuel pressure gauge just cause it was the right color and it made the motor look a little more Hot Rod.

I actually have a nice Edelbrock dual quad intake and carbs I thought about running on this car. But, with the hood and sides hiding most of the motor I'll probably just save it for another project.

13. I added some enamel harder to it so I think it will be fine. The only time it's in the sun is when I'm driving it.

Thanks for the compliments.

14. I've always wanted a 32 fordoor for running people around, kinda as a family rod.
    This is exactly what id build, if I had the cash, and the time.
    Very cool, that's a great Hot Rod.

Edit: mine would have a 3 inch chop.

15. verde742

verde742

I REALLY like it and your ATTITUDE about it..;).
    :D super plaything.....

:) wish I had it.....

Fordor Ron and clunker like this.
  16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I like the hell outta the whole thing! I'd be hugely proud to own it and drive it and if some "real hotrod" guy had a problem with it he could kiss my butt.

Personally, I think what you've done is EXACTLY what real hotrodding is about. Not everyone has just the most aesthetically correct part and the pocket book to do what "others" think is just right. Now let's see some shots of this thing on the road, at a drive in, etc!

clem, Fordor Ron and kiwijeff like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Very sano Ron.
    Where did you get that black rubber floor material?

18. If you get a hot rod put together and are driving it and having fun,
    I consider that a win!

Fordor Ron likes this.
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Very very cool!

Fordor Ron likes this.
  20. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  21. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Ron, I think you done great.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  22. Awesome. Looks great. Love it. There may be some that will think it's all wrong, but not me.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  23. Ron,that is a nice looking mordor and I happy to see you have it up and running.

I would be proud to drive the sedan anywhere! HRP

Fordor Ron likes this.
  24. i like it

Fordor Ron likes this.
  25. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Nice car. Some really great details: seats, engine components, top insert! Congrats!!

Fordor Ron likes this.
  26. Tractor Supply. Not sure if you have them in Oregon or not but they're basically a farm & ranch supply store here in the south. I'm sure you have something similar where you live.

The material is used in animal stalls or workshops as flooring that's easy to clean up.

Thanks for the compliments buddy...

need louvers ? likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

That sure is a nicely finished work in progress, with a lot of attention to detail. Bob

28. Hutch built

Hutch built

Fordor Ron likes this.
  29. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A few more shots.

The wood kit for the roof is new but I stained it and then sanded it back down to match the original wood in the rest of the car.

Some extra fabric makes a neat headliner.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it man