Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Back in 1961-62, my friend drove a Ford Econoline window van. He always needed money, so he joined this weird company group that became a rolling advertisement for this funny product. He was proud of the fact that he could still use his van to go surfing and on those long surf trips. But, he was somehow making money while using his Ford Econoline van. How? Everywhere he used to stop to go surfing, he brought out a display of his product. It was toilet paper. He had a van full of toilet paper in rolls. But, he was not just a toilet paper roll salesman, though. He was selling an oil filter system guaranteed to keep your oil clean and free from sediments. It was offered as a money back deal. Now, all these years later, we all laugh at a van full of toilet paper. But, no one we knew ever bought a system from him. In hindsight, he did always have a lot of spending money on those long surf trips to the secret surf spots. Did the toilet paper filter work?

Thanks,
    Jnaki

loudbang likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Just a note... this Ford Econoline van served it purpose on those surf trips to off the beaten path beaches. If there was an emergency, well you know who to go to for that...
    Jnaki

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have a couple of Franz toilet paper filters. I took apart a couple of engines that used them and they were spotless inside. I still use on on my parts washer. Every so often I'll use a rubber hose on the nozzle and run the cleaner thru the filter for an hour. Sure cleans it up nice.

jnaki and loudbang like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Back in 1970... when I was about to get out of the Army (stationed in Germany)... I could have bought a Lotus Europa or Alfa GTA 1600 Coupe (aluminum body, even) for a mere $3800. Couldn't swing that on E-5 pay and impending college costs. Errr. Sure wish I had either of them now, but by far the GTA 1600. But the Europa would do in my garage still, too. They were just SO cool. A Lotus bread truck! Gary
    [​IMG]

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  8. Chopper09

Chopper09
    from Minnesota

9. loudbang

loudbang

Well 1959 must have been one of the years the CIA was running LSD experiments on the unsuspecting public and some of the fumes must have drifted into the GM design studios. they came out with a bunch of not seen before "Stuff"

SIA-FarOut59s_01.jpg

SIA-GMsFarOut59s_2.jpg

SIA-GMsFarOut59s_03.jpg

SIA-FarOut59s_4.jpg

SIA 5.jpg

SIA 6.jpg

As usual the commies stole some of the thinking. A soviet example, 1959 russian Lesabre

SIA  Russian LeSabre 59  7.jpg

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thanks. That looks like an expensive car of Shaniko. That must have belonged to a wool baron.

11. olio mattore

olio mattore

worked for a while as a kid installing them.......I think they were called frantz or something like it.....quite a mess especially compared to the (then) new style spin on sealed like we have today...still, I worked 5 days a week installing and servicing them.....where are they now?????

hudsonmand and C. John Stutzer like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

The Indianapolis Raceway Park sign welcomes racers to the biggest event of 1961

The Indianapolis Raceway Park sign welcomes racers to the biggest event of 1961.jpg

I misplaced the caption for this unusual dragster ...anybody?

see eamail 1.jpg

Consummate hot rodder Tom Prufer is known for his countless hot rod coupes, roadsters, and dragsters. This B/Gas Deuce five-window is one of his earlier efforts

Consummate hot rodder Tom Prufer.jpeg

Dick Brannan over Dyno 65 Indy Nationals

Dick-Brannan-over-Dyno-65-Indy-natsmxflcrop-copy.jpg

SVAs Charlie Gray at Ford Proving Ground with Dick Brannan-and-427-SOHC-Mustang

SVAs-Charlie-Gray-at-Ford-Prov-Ground-w_Dick-Brannan-and-427-SOHC-Mustang.jpg

Another lost caption for this nice dragster anybody?

Speed Shop Confidential, Pete LaBarb.jpg

The Flying Dutchman at Wichita Falls

The Flying dutchman at wichitas Falls.JPG

13. Labold

Labold

This is my father's '37 Buick Century. The girl standing proudly next to it is the original owner. Dad is not nearly as pretty so I left him out of the current photo.
    When we bought the car I asked the man if he knew anything about it like where it came from and he literally pointed diagonally across the street to a house and said "from over there". 02.JPG 08.JPG

14. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

[​IMG]
    ..loudbang, here's the caption to the photo you posted..
    (I'm not smart enough to know how to "Quote feature.)

Mike Sullivan is best known for his Fuel Altered exploits, but he has occasionally strayed in to dragster territory. His first experience with fuel was at the controls of the Highland Speed Shop Jr fueler of Tom Camblin and Bob Price. Camblin and Price had put together a tribute to the principle of minimum weight with their 300 cubic inch De Soto powered dragster. Weighing in at just a tick over 800 lbs without the driver, this car featured only one brake caliper, had headers so thin that they couldn't be bent, a body so thin it sprung flat when removed from the car, and a block filled with manganese powder. While never a consistently successful car, Mike gained valuable driving experience and just as importantly learned the importance of weight and chassis design in affecting the performance of a combination.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    loudbang, Speedys Garage and hendelec like this.
  15. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

[​IMG]
    And here's the other photo description you were looking for.

Mike Snively behind the wheel of Roland Leong’s “Hawaiian.” Snively took the reigns from Don Prudhomme in ’66, winning the Winternationals at Pomona and the U.S. Nationals at Indy, where this shot was taken.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  16. I know it was her pink Cadillac
    Crushed velvet seats
    Riding in the back
    Oozing down the street
    Waving to the girls
    Feeling out of sight
    Spending all my money
    On a Saturday night
    Honey I just wonder what it feels like in the back
    Of your pink Cadillac
    Pink Cadillac

Bruce Springsteen

LOU WELLS, Bubba1955 and loudbang like this.
  17. toml24

toml24

As crazy as this might seem, this photo from above and repeated below sure looks like the El Toro area of Orange County, California in about 1964-66. The tall trees and everything else is just about spot-on. If it is in fact the area, Orange County International Raceway would be on the right up ahead and the USMC El Toro base would be straight ahead.
    [​IMG]

C. John Stutzer and loudbang like this.
  18. jroberts

jroberts

19. jroberts

jroberts

20. jroberts

jroberts

21. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry they are so small they are hard to read but that is the way I found them

Model T 1.JPG

Model T 2.JPG

Model T 3.JPG

model T 4.JPG

Model T 5.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.