Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Giving her hell Gary

Hind of tuff right now as it was 109 temp yesterday , and kinda takes the wind out this old dudes sails

2. DODGE !!!! That thing is sweet!

3. That truck ROCKS!
    I hope it runs as good as it looks.

4. CGkidd

CGkidd

Not yet but it will soon. Has a 440 with torqueflight. Major electrical issued to fix. I know is was used at a local roundy round track. And a couple tow companies in the early 70's.

Sent from my C811 4G using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. [​IMG]

Jealous! :)

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Happy 4 of July Gasser dudes

7. 240th anniversary of our BREXIT:p

Capt Chap, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes was a pretty good day...Went to fireworks over at a friends house, big stuff..Exciting for a bit when he had a good chance of burning his house down..

9. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

You got it!

10. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Didn't weld them. Have to remove or add weight to switch classes. Just like spindle mounts and other mods. Change to Altered.

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Where did all the gasser guys go ?

DND

12. squirrel

squirrel

burned out from a long weekend at the Meltdown drags? :)

13. workin house projects but should be building ladder bars soon

14. Kustomism

Kustomism

Had some brush work done on my inter ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469600385.112807.jpg

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  15. NICE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. Same here - Built in the 60's, National record Holder - Never high in the front. Even here under launch it is not very high
    Anglia023.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Larry T & HotRod you two are my kind of guys that go along with me in that a period perfect gasser sets level , end of story !!

These jacked up to the moon gassers of today are way wrong, plus being totally un-safe at speed with all that air getting under the car and you just wonder what they are thinking

DND

loudbang and hotroddon like this.
  18. Stance July 16.jpg

Mine isnt level, still a touch high in the rear........

loudbang likes this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have said the above in the past...Pretty sure there was a rule [at least when I looked at them] for height and it stated that bottom of frame could not be higher than center of rear axle..BUT the front could still be way up; maybe limit there by crankshaft to ground dimension if there was one for gassers..I'm rather fond of my height [just about stock], in the next life it would be 4" lower..

Attached Files:

Baron likes this.
  20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The first time I pulled into San Fernando - Irwindale and the beach they looked at my single hoop roll bar - seat belts and said go have some fun

Never looked at any engine height or frame off the ground things etc, just run it as those things really did not matter back in 63'

DND

Baron, loudbang and greasemonkey54 like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Count me in too!

Baron likes this.
  22. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I think that the strip guys would cut you a little slack if your car was pretty clean, knowing that if you put that kind of work into making it look good that it would be safe too

And that is how mine was as I had seen a few full size cars go on their lids , and for sure did not want that happening to me

DND

loudbang likes this.
  23. I don't recall that rule Seb, but here are a few quotes from various NHRA rule books :
    A maximum engine height of 24” from the ground to the crankshaft centerline was established.
    Bodies and/or frames may not be raised to gain weight-transfer to rear wheels.

loudbang likes this.
  24. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Most gas class cars at the time actualy sat a little lower in the front at rest. 100 lbs. of battery ballast and what ever was crammed into the pipe bumper. With front shocks that weren't any good. Made the front come up real quick. So it just an optical delusion.

25. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

So the nose in the air thing is myth. Also forgot about the VW tires.

26. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Manic

I'am a bit confused on your two threads, forget about small front tires- the nose in the air is a myth - front shocks were junk - and it all is a optical ' Delusion' what the heck is that

Can you explain your words for us readers

Thanks DND

P.S.

Oh by the way I had new 90-10 Monroe shocks on the front and 700 lbs of weight in my car to make class with a nice chromed stock rear bumper to keep the Gasser spirit of street driven car

loudbang likes this.
  27. Correct me if I'm wrong manic....but I think what he's trying to say, DND, is that....

Soft front shocks coupled with old 60's heavy battery mounted in the trunk and a heavy weighted tube rear bumper would snap the front up and squat the rear to load the rear under hard acceleration to try and aid traction.....would maybe give the impression that the cars were built nose high ( if looking at a picture of such a car at the moment of launch years later with no knowledge of how the car sat at rest)

Or summut like that

Jay

28. Larry T

Larry T

If you've hung around the HAMB for more than a week, you've probably figured out that someone will pull out pictures from somewhere from "back in the day" to prove a point, whether it was common place or not.

I won't say that there were no nose up cars racing in the 50s/60s. I will say not nearly all the cars racing in the gas class were nose up. Not nearly all the cars in the Gasser classes had straight axles either. It seems like these two modifications define Gassers now days a LOT more than they did in the 60s.

A lot of what made racing interesting back then was the diversity of cars and ideas at the track. Everyone was looking for an edge to go a little faster. Looking cool was a by product, not the main idea.

Baron, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  29. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

If you lived here in so-cal like I did you wanted to have your racer a neat looking piece and a go-fast too

Since this is where it all started there have always been race cars that were both, so there were a bunch of gassers that were standing tall too

That it what I wanted to have and built it that way = a story in Dec 65' Hot Rod and Record at Irwindale

DND

Baron, mad mechanic and loudbang like this.