Register now to get rid of these ads!

the Horne post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, May 19, 2010.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Titus had two at the beginning of this thread, now he has four..
    I'd venture to say he might be the culprit for at least one of them.

2. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seriously doubt the 25x4 number, as a small business man I'm sure jot cast them as he needed them, with olds being one of the more popular engines it makes sense he made more than the others. I'd like to figure out a way to number them somehow to keep track over the long run.

3. titus

titus

I bought #1 olds off the hamb

the #2 came of ebay, cant remember if it was earlier this year or the year before but i got on a buy it now on ebay so there was no bidding.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

If I had seen it I probably would have too. :)

5. Interesting. So there are two other Old's intakes out there that haven't been accounted for yet.

And when I say I missed out by a couple of bucks, I do mean a couple... less than $10 both times :(

6. titus

titus

Well, im now the owner of this thing,

downsized_0121151443.jpg

i had talked a few years back to Tony (Chopped Tudor) about the intake to ever see if hed consider selling it. he said hed let me know. well i got a message from him a couple weeks ago and we were able to work a deal out on it so no i own it.

I would think to has to be another one out there but who knows.

Now i need to figure out what i want to build around this thing.

jeff

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you got it made......the full set

kidcampbell71 and wingnutz like this.
  8. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that thing is killer!

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Crazy man...

10. You've got enough for a few new projects!

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

schoolsout2015 702.JPG
    schoolsout2015 698.JPG
    Here is my Horne for a Hemi that Titus mentioned above. I remember reading somewhere that Jot said he only made five or so hemi intakes the rest were blower manifolds. I had a hard time believing he made so few...

I have a couple Cragar cadillac manifolds-

october 2015 673.JPG

october 2015 671.JPG
    Take note of the Cragar logo. Its not normal... this was one of the first intakes after Jot sold the patterns to Cragar- you can actually see in the casting the loop of the H from Horne just to the lower left corner of the cragar logo- its much more apparent in person but you can see where they shaved off the Horne logo and added the Cragar. circa 1955-

october 2015 672.JPG
    This is a more refined version with a modern logo.

all of the pattern seams match the Horne and they have the spot for the blow off valve for the blower version on the bottom.
    IMG_0142.JPG

The round circle is where the blow off valve would go on the bottom of the intake.

The later version of this cragar is thinner and does not have the blow off circle on the bottom.

@titus did you add the Horne intake that @Nixer picked up last year to the list?

My hemi intake came from a guy who died in Vietnam. His dad had kept all of his stuff, he had a hot rod with a hemi... and the family sold it off after the dad died. I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy it. I couldn't afford the hemi that it was on- but the intake will do. Its going on a 354 hemi mated to a zephyr trans.

This is a cool thread!

Tuck

kidcampbell71 and Louie like this.
  12. titus

titus

so i can probably add the 1 to the olds that @Nixer got, it could be that someone on here sold it but hard to say, i should put names next the to the totals so we can track em

olds 12
    cadi 6
    hemi 5
    y-block 1

I had 2 olds hornes and traded one to my buddy Ryan aka @guyontheHAMB cause hes an olds freak and i didnt need two

heres a pic i took of all 4 horne intakes and the pedal, my cadi horne will be going on the motor in my chopped and channeled 32 fiver. i have a 32 tudor i will be building someday that will probably get the olds unit, i have a motor for the hemi and y-block units but havnt figured out what im putting them in yet but dont worry they will be in cars soon.

downsized_0121152110(1).jpg

rod1, kidcampbell71, Paul and 3 others like this.
  13. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450927810.048751.jpg

Here are my two jewels. I never thought I would be in position to own one so I can't believe I now have one Horne and one Cragar for my olds engines.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Wow. I never knew Jot made manifolds for the Y Block. You can add one to the Cad list. When I was building Grant Pendergraft`s Kookie Clone, he came up with one for it. It`s on there, but you won`t see the car out driving. There was a Street Rodder feature on the car about 10 years ago now....

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

You can put me down for one Olds version. Well, maybe half ? Mine is only partially machined, the carb pads and thermostat area still need machining.

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Here's a picture of the unfinished Olds Horne.......

IMG_0413.JPG

rod1, kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  17. Wow @bchctybob. That has to be one early piece.

18. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its been a while but I wonder who got this one? I think it had a crack welded up on one side,

Attached Files:

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@Nixer owns that one and its on the list.

20. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@bobbleed uncovered another olds Horne intake- its been altered but we should add it to the list.

22. Raunchy

Raunchy

23. There is a Horne for Olds 303/324 that was on eBay a few weeks ago. Recognizable because it has the water crossover cut off. It didn't sell.
    There is also another Horne for Olds for sale on eBay right now.
    There is a Horne for Hemi on eBay right now as well.

Not sure if any one from the compiled list of current owners is currently selling...

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I believe the Horne with the water crossover cut off was actually a Cragar,
    you could tell by the extra material above the intake ports,
    this would also explain why there was no Horne logo on top.

25. Good to know! @Martin_F had suggested it could be a Cragar as well, but I didn't know what to look for to differentiate. Thanks for the knowledge!

26. My Brother has an Olds Horne

27. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3500$ for the hemi and 2500 for the olds obo on egay wow!

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you can take me off the list,
    sold mine to someone in Eastern Oregon. ;)
    I am running the Cragar version on my 324 though

kidcampbell71, Tuck and Moriarity like this.
  29. Well, I guess I better let you fellas know that one has left your country and is now in Australia, I always knew what a Horne manifold was. I couldn't say I'd ever researched them, I certainly knew they where rare but not this rare.
    I bought a complete Horne 4x2 last weekend at the hotrod reunion, I saw it a mile away. The guy had already bought it off someone else at the swap and put his $300 mark up on it. I couldn't low ball him as much as I tried. He told me it was olds and looking at the ports I was sure too. I discussed the water crossover but we came to the agreement that it must have had a seperate water cross over etc. so anyway. It was $1200 it came with 4 48's complete and good, with 4 complete old chrome cal custom air cleaners, this intake couldn't have been used in fucking 40 years with the old fuel hose and fittings used, I thought for $1200 I would be the coolest guy in Australia and when was I ever going to be able to buy a Horne manifold with carbs and everything so I did it.
    Got back to Australia yesterday. Sat it on a spare 324 I have, no good looked closer and went ahhh fuck I think it's a caddy one, googled, pulled out my machined 331 caddy head. Yep caddy intake so I think I got a decent deal and I'm absolutely wrapped that it's caddy. So count me in the list unless this particular intake was owned by someone already on here. My friend even picked up the old eelco 4 port fuel block that the original guy was selling cause it has the same crazy old fuel fittings and crusty fuel hose. I'll attach some pics.

Attached Files:

30. This is kinda great to look at, and kinda stupid, cause looking at it now after researching for a few minutes it's obviously a caddy one, but at the time i was stoked to have an olds one. Either way now I'm pretty happy.

Attached Files: