Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Ford 9" Brake Upgrade Questions>>>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im interested if this issue ever got resolved? I have 2 57 ranchero / wagon housings and was wondering if a newer brake set up could be a direct bolt on. But as far as I can figure changing the outer ends to the later larger torino ends and a newer brake / axle combo would be best.

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Currie offers the correct later brake set up for the 57 rear ends. Just tell them that you have 1/2 inch holes and they will do the rest. You don't have to change the ends to get the newer brakes.

3. Pewsplace has it right. I was able to use early 60's T-bird brakes(2 1/2") on mine. Big bearing axles can safely be redrilled to 5 1/2" pattern, I've done it several times. Only issue I've had is trying to fit the deeper backing plates and use a cross spring setup.

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The Ranchero has 2" brake shoes originally. I just put the brake adjusters etc
    from a 60's model to get self adjusters.

5. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

'61-'64 T-Bird (the '63/4 uses a huge finned drum that protrudes past the backing plate more than an inch). The '61/2 has self adjusting brakes. The shoes are 11x2.50 and use a drum that resembles the '57-59. The '61/2 uses the big bearing, like your Ranchero. I bought everything from Rock Auto, including shoes, wheel cyls, springs, adjusters, etc. 90% of it was good ol' USA stuff from Wagner and Raybestos.

I think the axle flanges are large enough diameter to accept a re drill. I know the drums will.

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Use Wagner #283 shoes, drilled for the self adjuster mechanism, use Wagner self adjuster kit F98370/1, and wagner Combikit F87351. That should supply all the parts you need. These parts are listed for a F100 with 11" by 1 3/4" brakes.

You can use the F100 drums too if you make a spacer ring for the hub pilot, as the F100 has a larger hole in the center. I just tack the spacer to the drum in several places, and grind it flat. The original backing plates work fine, there was no change in the backing plate.

7. Old Rod: I was searching this subject and ran across your post. I have recently retired and am building a 32 Ford hi-boy that I've owned since 80'. I am using a 59 Ford rear with 28 spline axels and 40 Ford wheels. You stated that you could go to self adjusting brakes by buying the latter model spring kit. What year would I use. Also how much did you narrow your rear. I'm using 56 F-100 front brakes on 40 spindles. I have a 53 Merc. engine but also have a 65 327, 275 hp sbc. Due to funds I'll use the 327 with a Muncie 4 speed. I have a set of 34 pedals and am trying to decide which master cyl. to use. I had in mind a dual cyl. and use one side for a clutch slave cyl. Any ideas on that. Thanks for your help.

8. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Narrowed long side of rear to center pig, also like tires close to body. Many posts self adj brakes, look up later kits
    with same shoe width and diameter as 59. I used dual cylinder under floor for brakes. Can't help using for slave cyl.
    Early days used mech or cable clutch linkage later automatic trans. Good luck hope I was a little help. Bob