Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox Dash Metalflaking + Hidden Radio Laid Off $0 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mr.Dickies, May 10, 2012.

1. Ether (rollfastcustoms on Instagram) had front and rear Kaiser overriders for sale, not sure if they're gone. Not super cheap but nice shape, and Chad is a straight shooter.

That chop came out great, nice work on the windows etc too. Rock and roll brother.

2. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I wouldn't say they weren't a pain but it's time consuming. The fronts are the same as a tudor. I was thinking Tudors were easier because they go up and down. One small measurement and its throwing everything off with them opening. I did have the piece of mind knowing I could mess up twice on the pop outs because I have two sets and then the stationary ones too.

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Getting closer. Clips or weld is the question.

Attached Files:

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Have to fix one place I'm not happy with on the door.

5. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Rear part of door window channel has a slight curve to it and is noticeable with the glass and stainless in.

Attached Files:

6. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

I'd always vote for weld... easy for me to say though. I'm not so good w/ the thin stuff. Maybe give the welding a shot and if it doesn't turn out hide the 'mistake' behind a clip?

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

The welding instructor at my machinist school said he would do it for me if I bring it in to him. But saying that it's asking a lot to have someone weld them all for me. 3 welds per front side window trim piece. 2 welds for back coupe stainless and one on each front windshield piece. Plus on off if i cut center divider or non if i hammer the end to match.

8. I think if you can (or you've got a guy who can) do the thin welding, go for it. Tricky, but worth it if it's done right.

That's on my to-do list, probably this weekend. I've got one that came on the car that was cut and welded and looks like crap, I'm going to attempt to cut another to length and hammer it instead of welding.

9. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have a few centers to pick from I use to have a bad habit of collecting parts. I will try and if it works polish it out. The problem with the stainless in a coupe rear window is it's such a weird tight fit and I worry about cracking the welding because you have to really flex them it get them in. I might have him do one and see if he can. Kustoms by Jimmy told me to buy a bunch and practice till I'm happy then do the real ones.

10. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

The stainless pieces are just sitting on there but are cut to fit. Almost done with my window templates to mail them off to have the glass made. The templates were first made in cardboard then in 1/8" melamine. I must have put in and taken them out 20 times. Between getting the gasket to fit and the pieces to fit. I still have to have front pieces welded. The center piece I cut and hammered over and it is pretty nice i just have to sand and polish the end. I have only been putting a few hours in each day before machinist school but it's just about every day of the week.

Attached Files:

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Getting way closer. Had to modify the front vent stainless a little more but super happy with how it's turning out. Primer next week.

Attached Files:

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Passenger side glass templates done what a stinking pain. It's one step forward two steps back. Gaskets are cut and in place stainless cut and just sitting in place. For guys that have never done a chop the little things are what take the longest. For instance I had the front vents fitting great add the gasket nope rebend put in that fits good make templates for glass nope rebend okay that's better install door glass wow not so good anymore readjust three days later done. Re pop outs are even worse. Now I know why guys never finish their rides or run them without glass. I can say it makes me more nervous to cut the gaskets than the top off the car. Especially now that dennis carpenter doubled his price on most of them. I bought the rears for $50 now they are $100. The non pop outs use to be $25 now $50. Front vents were 1/2 even the little rubber the front vents close to are double. On a positive note I should be ready for primer this week if it's nice.

Attached Files:

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hell yea - the price of the seals is just stupid , isn't it ?? I couldn't imagine paying up , then cutting them .At least I got to just install them full-size , lol !!

Looks great , BTW

14. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Thanks Buddy! Yeah I bought them a long time ago and when I put windows in used them for two years and now I cut them they are still nice and soft but it did make me nervous. I do have to buy a front single groove windshield gasket or find better front stainless double groove. Mine just look like crap and i have a nice set of single groove ones and also a no trim front if i wanted to run it. The plan is to primer it maybe throw a quick paint job on it and in a few years blow it back a part and pay a professional to paint it when I have the money or take another paint class and rent a booth.

15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Moved outside after bodywork finished. Ready for primer now that its not raining everyday.

Attached Files:

lowcoe and TS057 like this.
  16. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

First round of primer. Needs more body work but it's good for the summer. When i can afford to have a real paint job I'll blow it a part fix a few.things and then gloss paint it.

Attached Files:

lowcoe likes this.
  17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Getting artsy

Attached Files:

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  18. Kick ass story! Thanks for taking us on the journey!
    I look forward to seeing what your skills and vision bring to the projects!

Semper Fi!

Jeff

19. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Jeff Semper Fidelis!
    The plan is to cruise it like it is flaws and all work them out till I have the money for a real paint job. I have to get back to work after school is over even though I need another surgery. I love the light color and its kind of making me rethink a dark blue/black metallic I was thinking of with " la nube de negro" as the name of the car.

20. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Sneak peak of the current task. I'm building a merc surround just have the corners left and finish welding it. My still deciding if i will fill the dip or make a piece that fills it that attached to the surround. Grille is a Kaiser Allstate.

Attached Files:

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

One side down one to go. Almost forgot to remove the screw behind the bottom piece before tack welding it together.

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  22. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

I like what you're doing w/ the grille. How are you putting that radius in the surround pieces - not the corners but around the whole perimeter? Do you have a slip roll or ??

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

We have a few slip rollers at my work. A huge 8' one and a 36" one. I put it in move to my line then tighten it down then roll it. I tried different sizes to figure where I wanted it.

Attached Files:

24. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Here's how I attached it for now. I have to decide if I want to keep it or not. I made it to bolt in so if I change my mind I could go back to the stock opening. Yeah Yeah Yeah i know. It would be less work to make if i was just welding it in because then I wouldn't have to worry about the flange fitting properly but I dream of a meteor surround and this is what I can afford to do. Last meteor surround I saw was mint for $700 so I'll take the $32 for 18g 4'x8' sheet and save the $668 for new wide whites. PS support your local shoebox crew

Attached Files:

25. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Getting there.

Attached Files:

26. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Very nice work. I have a 41 and going to drive in prime and wait to paint also

27. I like it!..................

28. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I sold the weld in surround I made after this one to a local guy and bought a louvered hood and don't like it and also not sure if I love the surround as much as I thought I would. So what's your opinion stock or Kustom?

Attached Files:

29. Stock looks fine - but stock.. I kinda like the simplicity of your custom version.. You asked! Anyhoo, I'm enjoying watching your progress and your decisions.

Dave

30. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I like the custom but the stock is iconic for these cars so either is a winner.