Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad you go that sorted, I'm excited to see it sitting on all four!

I'm curious to see your gusset in finished form I was thinking of ways to go about it myself

Runnin shine likes this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I sure like those mounts!

Runnin shine likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I don't remember if it was you... But before someone was concerned they might be cast. I doubt it, the were really hard to cut through. Just like the shackle mounts or my trusty ol'F1 front axle.
    These will look clean if not factory'esc in use. Not real neat or anything but acceptable.
    As for the gusset, I hope it helps.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was thinking of a small triangle mounted horizontally on the inside half bracing it to the axle tube

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes it was me with the mounts. forged steel from the looks. neat stuff!

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Tim do you mean the shock mounts? I didn't think about gusseting them, probably be overkill for these shock mounts. I suppose if you like I can make some though tomorrow, good excuse to drill some more holes back there. I mean to lighten the car and all, lol

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No I meant the spring hangers. Since they pinch towards the middle.

It probably doesn't structurally matter I think I just see things leaning and want to put something under them if that makes any since at all lol

8. rmcroadster

rmcroadster

I couldn't remember how it was being set up and have to admit to being too lazy to reread.
    Good to see that it works without needing modification.
    Personally I would strengthen the shock mount plates but I tend to overkill.
    Matthew

Runnin shine likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah ok, I'll make one to go in the inside corner pocket. Probably just a one hole. And I'll do ones for the shock mounts too. Better safe than sorry. Plus it's a simple way of sneaking in little hints that you built this as apposed to just bolted it on.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  10. You know you never have enough holes in everything....but I am still watching anyway....Looks great so keep it going. I like what you have done with the rearend.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Things just petered out tonight, sorry boys.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469504858.005328.jpg
    Not much done. But got the gussets drilled and started on one of six to be installed.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469504931.558415.jpg
    I have to grind down that top short section. I left the extra meat for welding.
    I got a little distracted staring at my new vast louver collection that came back today from Fordgasser1 . In that package came a little surprise I'll share with you all soon.
    Got the proper body felt and one new spring bolt plus nut after miss placing one of the two. I hope I don't forget to put the felt piece that goes on top of springs either since they seem to keep moving all over the garage.
    I also was double checking the shock mounting position and length before I put those new fangled mounts on.

falcongeorge, Jeff34 and Tim like this.
  12. Glad it all worked out. Looks really good!

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks!
    How's that PU coming along?

14. The house is coming along great. The pickup on the other hand... not so much. My garage is almost completely organized with space to actually work now, just need to wire up the motor for the drill press and build a welding table. Then I need to replace the deck on the back of the house (it's rotted out) and finish siding the shed.
    Once those four chores are done, I'm actually going to lay hands on the hotrod and get going on it. It's been patiently waiting for almost 3 years now, and without anything old to drive now, I'm getting antsy to get it on the road.

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Runnin, I hope you can make TROG WEST in Oct. in Pismo Beach. I will be hanging with Cyclone and paintslinger, and hopefully you will make the third REINCARNATOR, with or without your ride, three true rescuers of valuable tin. Gary

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I know all of you are "Patiently Waiting" by the edge of your seat. I as much as you want to see the rear end mods finished. But I haven't worked on it today or last night for that matter. Maybe I'll get back on them gussets this evening though.
    Any how this morning my wife tells me happy anniversary! I say what the hell are you talking about that was last month you fool. She says... no to your real wife Hubba Hubba, oh, I say. A little bit later we were out with the kids at a budget type store, not a dollar store but a similar cheapo vibe. I've been looking at the smaller rugs that I would often buy for under my drum kits to use in a hot rod as apposed to the well over a buck purpose built stuff. Well today from all the way across the flooring section I see something that I finally think is workable. $18 5x8 dark greenish and hints of blue grey with dark silver in the weave.
    I am really stoked about how it goes with the upholstery fabric even though it different. It matches the cars paint the best but the silver and green blend seems to mimic the steering wheel.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469656791.096806.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469656803.842729.jpg
    Trust me it is even closer looking in real life.
    My plan is to take the ol' stitch ripper tool and remove the edge trim band while watching tv some night. Then I'll cut the carpet to the floor's shape. After that I'll sew the edge back on.
    One of the reasons I went this route was to have something I feel is almost disposable. At 18 bucks I should of got a spare. My wife had a hard enough time with me buying negligee for the"other" woman in my life. So one carpet will have to do on our anniversary

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That is awesome. And a wife who lets you play silly games with cars is worth tons too.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. You have to love this build.....It is so dam cool the direction you take with every thing on it.....Keep it going my friend. and Happy Anniversary

Runnin shine likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Here's a look at the inside gusset for @Tim
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469676007.846881.jpg
    It has two soft bends in it to follow the S curve of the shackle mount. Nothing fancy just cold vise and crescent wrench. (Oh yes thanks to all this work I'll have to strip and paint the axle)
    The shock mount gusset I'm still kicking around. I'd feel better about installing the mounts if I had shock in hand. I'm broke as hell right now so I'm a little stuck.
    Speaking of shocks, I can not for the life of me decide on the fronts. I think I'll get So Cals cause I want to flared cover. Trouble is I've wanted black to match my black hood hard ware and dull down the front end a little, seems more 40s to me. But I just can't get the chrome ones out of my head. Seems like a nice cap on all this chrome to bring it to a close. Course I'm not ruling out a chrome front spring in this ol'gals future.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Tim likes this.
  20. Hey Wyatt I might have a set of front tube shock mounts the kind that the bottom mount bolts on the bottom of the perch pin then the top mount welds to the frame rail. For old style tube shocks. I may have took them to pomona and sold them but for some reason I'm thinking i didn't take them. I will look for them sat. I will finely have a weekend to get back in the roadster so will look for them and if you think you will use them I will throw them in the box I got for you with the other parts you need. I'm not even sure you might already have front set up, iv been painting cars everyday for 20 years so I can't hardly remember shoot.

21. Oh and the chrome fan nots going to work I think it's early chevy. Look at the bolt pattern. image.jpg

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks you HHMO! But I have already "air quote" engineered my front tube shock mounts long ago. I went with these simple chrome plated guys.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469708539.051368.jpg
    I'm getting the model A style shackles chrome plated with some other stuff. On one hand I think these may look street roddy but on the other I think they're a no brainier. I thought of something like this long before I knew anyone made them and I think this design could've been thought up at any time during the addition of airplane shocks through history.
    Im glad you brought this up cause these were still in a bag. I have been letting all my new chrome stuff get tossed around the garage during the build to get, inadvertently roughed up, to not look so new next to all my cool old chrome.
    As for that bitchin fan... I personally would never let a bolt pattern stifle my cars rise to greatness

23. Street roddy? Heck no! It's traditional. The February of 1949 issue of Hot Rod Magazine had a very similar suggestion for mounting the lower shock mounts. Check out the third illustration...
    04-1.jpg

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I think this simple little part and solution is hilarious. You can't have enough louvers man!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469760488.151149.jpg
    When George had my tins for the louvers I remembered I do not have a clutch inspection cover. I got this idea in a flash(maybe I seen it somewhere, reminds me of some electrical box doohickey) an in the eleventh hour he punched two more for me in a piece of scrap. I roughed out a pattern on cardboard and traced it on the bigger square 2 louvered steel. I just put a light coat of primer and one turned the hold down screws to have a giggle
    Most of the time this build is like a John Cash song for me "I got it one piece at a time"

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes I'm into little tidbits. Remember I'm trying to create the all too cliche "time machine". Well what 40s car would be complete without a cigar/cigarette lighter? I tried to get something used that matched my interiors other knobs.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469807092.894208.jpg
    It's not perfect but will do. Santay in nice shape. A little lighter red than my reddish brown stuff.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Just cleaning up the rear end and welding today. I'm waiting for my shocks before I put those mounts on.
    I've been needing some sort of anvil for who knows how long. I've been joking about being happy with a railroad track at this point. This weekend my father-in-law gave me this cause he recently acquired from a friend a huge old one out of a Inland Steel shop.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470078232.417332.jpg
    I'll keep dreaming about getting his new one from him(my gramps worked his whole life at Inland as did many family and friends) but until that day this will do I suppose.
    I can't wait to make my first part using this. It's so traditional, yes? Tink, tink, tink.

slv63, Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Heck yes that anvil is traditional! Years ago I got a chunk from a RR track that was layed in 1918 that I carved into an avnil. It took a ton of torching with my little hot wrench to cut it to shape. I use it when I really need to hammer on something. Works great.

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man I wanted to put the lower shock mounts on tonight but I'm tired of re-doing stuff when I'm wrong.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470108632.788525.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470108644.979291.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470108657.549396.jpg

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man those things aren't gonna go anywhere!