Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Babushka "T"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edwardlloyd, Dec 10, 2015.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ed.Great build sir.Sweet sounding engine too.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

clever chassis work and a nice build.

3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Getting closer to a finished car now. Yesterday the mechanical fuel pump failed but I got many of the little problems resolved. I swapped out the 1 1/8" front brake cylinders with 1" cylinders and that almost doubled the front braking power, but it still isn't enough so I'm going to try fitting a master cylinder with a larger bore.
    New additions are the gas tank cover and the windshield wiper mount.
    DSCN0742.JPG DSCN0743.JPG DSCN0744.JPG DSCN0745.JPG DSCN0746.JPG DSCN0747.JPG DSCN0748.JPG DSCN0749.JPG

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

DSCN0750.JPG DSCN0751.JPG DSCN0752.JPG DSCN0753.JPG DSCN0754.JPG DSCN0755.JPG DSCN0756.JPG DSCN0757.JPG
    License plate light is from a '49 Chevy. The parking brake is from an early 50s Morris Oxford. The taillights are reproduction '37 Ford. The rubber floor covering is Model-T Ford. The gas pedal is '32 Ford.

Jeff34, Scott Mannion, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

DSCN0758.JPG DSCN0759.JPG DSCN0761.JPG DSCN0763.JPG
    I replaced those cheesy self locking chromed nuts which come with the '32 shackle kits with castle nuts and cotter pins.
    Also pictured here is the modified '40-'48 column gear change which now operates the automatic transmission.
    That lower water hose took some finding too! It is very tight down there and I needed a double bend in the lower hose. I struck lucky and found a 1938 Chevy truck lower hose which fitted after cutting down a bit.

DSCN0764.JPG DSCN0765.JPG

6. greaser

greaser

Great job Edward! I always enjoy reading your posts, and seeing what your up to. That Nailhead will be a real torque monster in that little roadster!
    What are you using for front turn signal lights?

7. Mart

Mart

Nice work, Edward, but (with respect) your statement on wheel cylinder sizes don't make sense. Bigger wheel cylinders should increase braking power relative to the pedal effort applied. Likewise a bigger master cylinder bore will decrease braking performance relative to applied pedal effort. The exception to this is if the original pedal is travelling too far and you're too far down the pedal when the brakes come on. In this case the smaller wheel cylinders and bigger master cylinder can make the brakes better because it brings the braking back into the "sweet spot" of the pedal. This is what happened with my roadster - it works better with a 1-1/16" cylinder than the 1" cylinder I had before.

Mart.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Scott Mannion likes this.
  8. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Well that's what's happening Mart. Pedal pressure is no problem. Its servo assisted too. Brakes come on fine and the rears lock up but I run out of travel before the fronts are firm enough. The Smart master cylinder has a 19.05mm bore. I'm going to try one from an Espace 3 with 23.8mm bore.

9. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

On Saturday we had a party to celebrate it's completion, even though it's not quite finished. However the final upholstery will be done later after it's registered.
    The hub caps are fitted and the seat bottom and side panels have been upholstered in black leather rescued from an old sofa. DSCN0845.JPG DSCN0846.JPG DSCN0847.JPG DSCN0848.JPG DSCN0849.JPG

10. Looking great and I'll bet this is a REALLY fun car to drive - enjoy!

11. So what you're saying is that you need more volume, not pressure? As you'll end up with less wheel cylinder pressure with the same pedal pressure - when going to a larger master cylinder. Let us know what the final 'solution' ends up being.

12. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Car looks great. Congratd on getting it finished

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I found a 33% larger bore master cylinder which fitted the Smart servo and reservoir as if it had been designed to fit! It's a 26.8mm cylinder from a non-ABS Renault Espace III. With 1" cylinders up front it works perfectly. Apart from the bore size, everything else was the same. A combination of luck and three hours trawling eBay for new master cylinders.

indestructableforce likes this.
  14. Mart

Mart

Well, you ended up with more or less the stock ford master cylinder size, so it should be good. Car looks great by the way.

Mart.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Man the car looks great , now enjoy all the hard work !

16. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice, enjoy.

17. Gotta ask a question: The steering wheel sure looks like it it really back close to the drive . . . have you noticed that as an issue and would you have preferred to have it further away? (closer to the dash). Just wondering . . .

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The driver is very tall (6'6") and needs the space behind the wheel for his knees. The car was built to fit one person. All components, brake pedal, gas pedal, steering wheel and shifter were mocked up first and built around the driver. However I'm quite fat and a little under 6' and still have plenty of space behind the wheel. The wheel is quite high up. When driving you look through the wheel not over it. It's not a cut down, '40 wheel, it's a full size one. This makes for quite an exciting pre-war race car feeling when sitting in it. However there's still plenty of room between your body and the wheel to cross your hand to the other side. The seat back will only be thinly upholstered. It's actually surprisingly comfortable just the bare metal seat back.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  19. Thanks - was just wondering. I kind of forgot about the very limited leg-room in a car/body style like this . . . so you have to have someplace to put them! This is a very common challenge in any early body style like this - especially when it is channeled (though your car doesn't look to be). The people back in the day MUST have been a lot smaller! Hell - every vintage race/dry-lakes picture you see . . . bunch of skinny damn kids! LOL!

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Here's 6'6" Alex sitting in his Rod. As you can see, plenty of space but the wheel couldn't have been any closer to the dash.
    DSCN0863.JPG

21. I can see that now - no "foot well" for his legs . . they gotta go someplace!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I made some cycle fenders for the T. Fronts were made out of a 1933-34 spare wheel ring which fits on the 1934 wheels. Using a left spindle from a RHD car came in handy here as I was able to use the two redundant holes in the steering arms as one of the mounting points for the front fenders.
    Rears were made from a pair of new front fenders from a tractor. The fenders are bolt on and easily removed.
    DSCN1070.JPG DSCN1074.JPG DSCN1075.JPG DSCN1077.JPG DSCN1079.JPG DSCN1080.JPG DSCN1081.JPG DSCN1083.JPG

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice fenders!!!! Gary

24. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Nice job on the fenders!

25. Great job on the fenders. They're fully functional, but hardly noticeable.

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It's funny you say not noticeable, it pops in to my eye as the first thing, maybe because I have wet dreams about some going era perfect on the fenders on a new build, I almost messed up my pants in pure ecstasy!
    That is awesome Edward loyd!

Any more info on the supplier of said rear fenders, because they would be perfect to make my car live up to the Danish fender law!

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed, the T is outsatndingly nice! And thanks for posting the link! I just bought a set for my 34.

29. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I guess I can listen to it run a few more times. Sounds awesome looks great