Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

If they were built by a high school kid or first year apprentice back in 1950 they would likely look just like that wouldn't they? I think they look just fine.

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Me too Matt. It's just this right side bone that I wish was a touch straighter. I was itching to post a pic of them and it was late. I could access this side since my garage is a disaster.
    I am likely a bit paranoid that I will get dogged these days by guys most likely not building something this style. Thus I am quick to explain myself at great length and ramble.

3. Shit man I love the look they have.......That's the way we did things back in the 50's and I know because I lived it.

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Haters gonna hate. And the rest of the tards will ask why you don't glue a rubber mouse to the hood.

The rest of us get it.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh man... They're post to look like they were built somewhere between Thursday August 15 1946 and Saturday July 3rd 1948. Now what do I do with? Throw'm in the scrap pile I guess?lol

I clearly am joking around here. If anyone wants to know what the hell I'm talking about... I was thinking a year after VJ Day a settled in X serviceman back home has gotten bit by the California sensation that's sweeping the nation. Now he has a few bucks, he misses that excitement he lived through from a tour or two, maybe he flew a spitfire or such, and the pressure of his buds Elmer and Clem has become more than he can bare.
    Then I came up with him making a big push to finish before this great nations birthday party cause he's just so damn patriotic back then. After watching his other dear pals falling for the last time by his side so that others could be safe and happy for the rest of their times, you might try a little harder too.
    Again Hubba Hubba is being built as a hypothetical tribute to my Grandfather. He missed the War as he would have only been 16 during 1945. He lost his oldest brother over there(as in the song) Gramps was third oldest. He only just stopped playing golf every Thursday with his remaining big brother this year. Ever since I started building this car his eyesight has really turned for the worst. I often am afraid I jinxed him or something from wanting so badly to see him drive this thing at least around the neighborhood.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468875153.767911.jpg
    Started to clean garage to put frame down. This was one of the obstructions underneath. I got sidetracked and attempted to clean it up so I could have a look see inside. Cross fingers everyone please.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Wyatt, love your build. I've seen you and @paintslinger805 question whether anyone is following - trust me, we are. Most of us have little to offer as you guys (throw @dumprat in here for good measure) have the vision and momentum already covered. If I was a gold chain wearing parts horder I'd send parts to you guys but that's not my situation. :( All that's left is to watch the show with all the followers. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing the ride!

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Things are movin slow but I'm trying
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468965006.485167.jpg
    The axle is sitting about correct for assembled but the sprung weight portions are still 1 3/4" too high. I have most of the spring pack together cause I'm planning on having the mock-up block and trans in this time around
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468965326.407471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468965338.381283.jpg
    These pics are kinda redundant.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468965368.142579.jpg

Stogy, volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I have know idea what redundant means but I like them and it's nice too see progress, so I'm guessing that's what it means!
    I feel so lazy, because I work so much, take care of my kids and do absolutely no progress on my own, maybe I should get my fingers out and start on my stuff. Maybe just half an hour after work tonight.

Keep at it, Lad!

tb33anda3rd and Runnin shine like this.
  10. I can't wait to see her on the ground with those tires you have. I'm digging it Wyatt keep hustling on it.

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I feel so cheap sometimes but trying to build two 32 fords with no job isn't for the faint of heart. Yes this route eats up a lot of time. Today I finished salvaging what was left of my 34 spring mount U- bolts.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469045705.173186.jpg
    Some cut down grade 8 fine threads from the hardware store V'd down to get full penetration.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469045780.184872.jpg
    Makeshift jig and the welder up pretty high.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469045825.141470.jpg
    Many little fill welds all over and moving back and forth from each shank attempting to keep'm straight.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469045934.576942.jpg
    A little VHT rollcage gloss black bam!
    I'm really starting to listen to you guys. Not everything needs to be restored back to a showroom luster. Funny cause I've been after a homegrown backyard driveway garage built hot rod this whole time. I forget that sometimes when showing this work to you all.
    Better remember to drill holes for cotter pins.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Anyone out there ever cut off the stock spring shackle hangers from the axle ends then move them in.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469046472.416199.jpg
    These late banjos are wide. I knew when I chose to run a 36+ front spring out back that it's too narrow. I was going to widen the shackle plates. Now seeing how much I'd have to extend them I think they would look gaudy.
    So now I'm peering across the garage at my trusty 4 1/2" grinder and a stack of cutoff wheels. I don't know yet what this means for my intended shock mounting.
    Please don't suggest that I use the ugly weld on T Bucket kit'esc brackets from speedway which is out of the question. I hope by now you all see how I like Henry parts best even when altered. For me it's style over function thing.
    In unrelated news...
    View attachment 3277220

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Maybe this is a stupid comment but is there anyway to heat and bend them to come in closer?

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I could send you a pic of a real gross homebuilt job out of my 34 chassis? To use late 40's tubes on a 34 with the stock spring. Pretty fugly.

15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

image.jpeg Bam! Traditional scabbiness!

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

17. I say go for it!!!! I liked your save of the spring bolts. They turned out great. I done the same on mine on the 3 window.

jerseyboy and Runnin shine like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Dennis, anything good enough for your 3w is good enough for me.
    I know it's a small thing to post. I don't put everything I do up here. When I do something I think that may be helpful to others or I find neat it goes here. I try not to put up stuff we all know or when I'm just grabbing a plastic package of something I bought new, no big interest in that.

19. Wyatt you are definitely thinking like the ol timers about use what you got. I would of just called up early ford store and bought a set of original u bolts for 15 bucks. But I'm lazy when it comes to stuff like that... They look like you didn't touch them so good job. I think you car is more 40s than most out there because you use what you got or what you can find. Keep hustling

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya looks like they welded it with rusty coat hangers. But this junk was on the road and running. Red plug wires and all!

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Holy moly! They fit too, sure is a nice change.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469071158.161313.jpg
    Compared to both my leaf spring debacles that are turning out to be a lesson in "measure twice" or thrice in my case.
    I think tomorrow I'm moving the shackle hangers over on the axle. I just want to make absolutely sure I put them in the right spot. I haven't figured out exactly the the spring width. I know I want to tension it in the shackles. I don't know if that would be with the whole stack together or say I put the lowest spring in with no preload and as I add leaves that would pull it enough or more than enough. My pack was listed as 39.5". The widest spring is 40" at the center by itself. The rest of the stack looks like it's much tighter arch would pull the whole assembly when together tight than 39.5?
    Oh well, cut twice measure once. Or is that backasswards?

jerseyboy likes this.
  22. Lol dosnt matter how many times you cut it as long as you can weld.:D:D

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  23. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Runnin Shine. You will be post number 2 for me! That picture of the grill and the axle and headlights was to much to bear, and I had to join. Looks great! I hope to see you and the car here locally soon. Have a good day!

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Welcome aboard! Now go start a thread on something, maybe a new build?
    When you say locally do you mean my locally? Or do you mean you'll chip in for gas when I drive all the way over so we can try to snap an axle shaft in this thing?

25. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Nope, I'm in your back yard, across the river actually. I hope to see this one day. Been following you for a while. Still trying to figure out how this stuff works, but I'm in Lafayette. I'll PM you if I can figure out how to do it.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@CURSED GEARS likes the axle and grill pic. Since I haven't made much progress, I get to come home and see this after running around.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469142767.152249.jpg
    It's almost like I have a 32 Ford in the garage.
    This pic is sort of depressing because it reminds me that the Mrs. is angry as hell about how I've rust stained the bottom of the door.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469143019.038434.jpg
    Oh wow! The pesky shackle mounts must of had some cracks and fell off the axle today, how convenient of them.
    I'll give more extensive details about their coming out of surgery after they get cleared to leave the intensive care unit.
    Oh and George shot me these pics of the almost finished tins. He is officially the Man in my book.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469143345.211409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469143445.054713.jpg

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'm sure a mr clean magic eraser would make her hate you less lol

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. Try mixing Mr clean with some simple green and cleaning the door with that.
    Love the 32 front shot with the door just opened a little.........Makes a guy wonder...does it not.

Tim and Runnin shine like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469203954.089137.jpg
    Although I'm not near the first person to have louvers, these are my first. I think they're just plain bitchin!
    If any one is needing a louver guy let me know. I can maybe help facilitate your contact with Fordgasser1 . George has been great to me in the short time I've only known him from the HAMB.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.