Register now to get rid of these ads!

28 Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 51box, Jan 16, 2016.

1. 51box

51box
    from MA

Chopped the rear horns off, nice ending now. We flipped the frame over last night and should get the rest welded this weekend. image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  2. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

You really do quality work, Super clean will be watching and learning!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. hasty

hasty

Yes, nice work - will be following

ManChu likes this.
  4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Loving this build

5. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks guys, well we got the roadster frame buttoned up and back to bill's shop for bits & pieces. image.jpeg

So I'm back on the coupe, got the pass side drip rail really close. I held it up temporary with some self tappers. I will be using a 2 part body panel adhesive to secure these. image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. 51box

51box
    from MA

Bought this little gem Sunday, won't run it on this car but a drag car is in my thoughts again. More along the early ford bodied car instead of the FED I had before. image.jpeg Also found a match to my other 16x5, they are getting blasted now so hope to have the right size rollers on soon.

7. 51box

51box
    from MA

Finally got the wheels painted and tires on, 7.50's fill it up nice. My welder burnt to PC board up so I haven't been able to do any fab work in a few weeks already. Hope to get it going again soon.

8. 51box

51box
    from MA

9. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Very nice. Like your roof solution. Carry on, I'm subscribed.

10. 51box

51box
    from MA

Ok so I took the belt line piece from the leatherback, separated it to remove the nails and start getting it fitted up. I feel like this really just made the top swap look more original. Very happy to say the least. It's just mocked up in these pics but you get the idea. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  11. Looks good from here! :)

12. adam401

adam401

That coupes coming out great Joe awesome work!

13. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks guys, Adam how's the 5W coming along?

So I've been avoiding having to fix this rear window opening. After I had sectioned the roof and rear window smaller, I let off my jack inside the car and it had a ugly sag in the center. So after lots of slicing and welding and hammering it finally looks right to me.
    image.jpeg

Next up was doing some more butchering, hammering and making more filler pieces etc, both side windows are ready for some bondola.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Also got the drivers gutter reshaped and temp screwed on. image.jpeg

After that I was sick of looking at the body/frame gap, so did some cutting on the lower cowl.
    image.jpeg

3/8" pie cut image.jpeg
    Still need to make the bottom of the foot part of the cowl but it's a good start. image.jpeg

kidcampbell71, brEad, gonzo and 3 others like this.
  14. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

That trim across the back looks great. Nice work!

15. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks man,
    Well after getting the radiator in that I'll actually be using I had a lot more fan clearance then I thought. So I cut the second grove off the lower pully, put the fan as close to the water pump as I could. Cut engine/Trans free and slid it all forward. Much less firewall recess needed now. This is what I had before image.jpeg and now with the lower pulley cut back and fan tucked in tighter image.jpeg firewall clearance image.jpeg

16. 51box

51box
    from MA

And with the 3" chopped radiator and lowered the shell down to match. Height seems right to me image.jpeg

17. 51box

51box
    from MA

So here's what I'm thinking for the toe board and firewall. I basically just drilled the rivets out of the toe board channel at the top & pie cut the lower to bend it back. image.jpeg So now I can run a flat wood toe board with out having a big Trans tunnel cause foot space was going to be tight . image.jpeg So I'm thinking of just building a new lower firewall one piece with the steps at the bottom for the toe board channel.

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  18. 51box

51box
    from MA

So I bought a low budget bead roller and beefed it up, added a couple valve wheels to it etc. image.jpeg Actually works really good now, it was like a wet noodle before.

So I started making up the firewall piece, all bends where done the hard way. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

And then got to try out the new bead roller, it kind of sucks to operate by yourself but it came out ok. image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. 51box

51box
    from MA

And the interference image.jpeg image.jpeg that is with the body pulled back about 1.5 inches, marked out where the recess needed to be. image.jpeg Body back in location, time to figure out recess. Ended up using a 5" 90* stack off a Pete. Sliced it the long way image.jpeg then hammered a flange into it over the edge of the table. Trimming to fit etc image.jpeg now I can pull the mag if need be without moving body or engine,was a good day

20. 51box

51box
    from MA

My buddy bill stopped by and helped me get the seat figured out.Narrowed up a seat frame and reshaped the top a little bit to look earlier. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Folds down too which will come in handy I'm sure. Need to get the pedals and steering box in before I mount it.

Also stated making up some templates for the floor. image.jpeg I'm thinking about doing the tunnel out of aluminum, we'll see

21. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

kidcampbell71, wheeldog57 and brEad like this.
  22. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Nice job on the firewall mods. I read your thread and I'm itching to start on my A. Soon I hope.

23. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks man, it's a good learning experience for sure doing one of these from scratch.

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Just caught up on this --- Cool project, nice work, it's coming together nicely!

25. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks guys, I'll be thrilled once I'm past this sheet metal work.
    Scored a nice take of parts last night, I went for the steering wheel but he was turning that 47 into a street rod so I grabbed what he had left for original parts. image.jpeg The wheel is nice only a couple hair lines on it, im thinking Wimbledon white image.jpeg

26. 51box

51box
    from MA

I know, who cares about the horn.... but I'm amazed at how well it came back! image.jpeg image.jpeg

27. Really enjoying this thread. Nice parts score.:)

28. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

That horn ring & button looks great!

29. Oh, WOW! What an amazing transformation.

30. 51box

51box
    from MA

Grew some eyes! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Also got the steering location figured out, still need to weld a new flange on the box. image.jpeg 2" hole saw removed the flange perfect image.jpeg Can't wait to have this view on the road!