Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't get the Wett there appetite, but now I have a slight pants-issue, they fit so funny in the front.

enloe likes this.
  2. And not just one, A CASE!

3. Better that they fit funny up front than suddenly in the back!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

There has been nothing--that I know of--that I would call "definitive" in the way of information or history of Wayne 12-port heads and related parts. Frank Oddo did a "Wayne 12-Port Head Story" in the Nov. '76 Street Rodder, and there have been similar--though rare--pieces in Inliners International's 12-Port News, but none that were much more than superficial, or even wholly accurate. One problem stems from updates/variations in parts during their short production life. Another big one is the split between Wayne Horning and Harry Warner, with Wayne making "Horning" heads and Warner making "Wayne" heads. This of course was followed by California Bill Fisher's acquiring the Horning GMC head (with 2-piece valve cover), and naming it the Fisher head. Plus there was a Howard GMC 12-port, and others. Someone like Keith Young might be able to put together a good lineage/history of early Wayne 12-ports. But the original principals are gone, other memories are old, and written records seem to be non-existent. In my case I figure you use what you've got, keep it as original as possible (or practical), and make it work as best you can.
    Pat G.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

"Original as possible (or practical)" I fight that fight all the time.

Electric fan and overflow.

Gary

IMG_0045.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    1947knuck likes this.
  6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It is to have your interest in something stimulated - my bad its "whet your appetite"

7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes I get that, I was trying to be funny.
    And I DO like your stuff.

Since I don't have that kind of spending money, I try not wetting my appetite for stuff I can't afford, but I enjoy photos.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well, it's been a month since I have had anything to post, haven't felt too well for the last 3 weeks. After finalizing the engine location, the next thing was to layout the lightning holes and the support plates for the front engine mount. I also welded vertical plate gussets in the area of the rear torsion bar anchors, and bell housing mounts, so as to plug weld them to the boxing plate, making those areas as rigid as possible. IMG_6667.JPG IMG_6668.JPG IMG_6671.JPG IMG_6677.JPG IMG_6679.JPG IMG_6681.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Tearing the frame apart was a necessary decision, as it was the only way that I could weld and straighten the tapered front section of the frame rails. I skip-welded them on the inside, beveled and fully welded the outside. Then came the straightening of the front section in a press, as it curled to the inside. Next came the welding of the boxing plates, that put a bow in the rails in the boxed area. I am fortunate to have a Brother with a 70 ton - 10' press brake, we used some wood blocks and carefully straightened both rails. I then ground and finished the rails, before reassembly. Now I can proceed with the installation of the rear & center crossmembers, and install the engine mounts, along with the re-attachment of the torsion bar mounts. The steering box was shipped back to Schroeder for final assembly, when it returns I can make the mount at the dash and build the firewall. Good things to come ! IMG_6688.JPG IMG_6690.JPG IMG_6692.JPG IMG_6693.JPG IMG_6695.JPG IMG_6696.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  10. Babyearl

Babyearl

Sorry to hear you were under the weather,, 3 weeks is a long time when one feels out of sorts. Hope all is well now,, judging from the pictures you are back up to speed.
    Sure looks as tho you are healed. Progress is evident,, and so is the quality of your work.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I built the transmission crossmember today, starting by machining a pair of aluminum spacers and some capped sleeves. The lower hoop is 1" X 1.20 wall tube, bent to a 4" center line radius. It was handy to have the rear mount and "clam shells" on the table, for fitment. After installing the mount assy on the back of the transmission, I sheared a 1" strip of thin aluminum to make a template to match the angles and fit around the sleeves, it makes it simple to get it right the first time. With the triangle flanges on inside and outside, it should support the area well, and provide a place to weld a threaded bosses for the rear radius rod attaching points on the outboard side. With this complete, I will fab and install the mid-mounts at the bellhousing, and on to the front straddle mount. IMG_6697.JPG IMG_6699.JPG IMG_6700.JPG IMG_6702.JPG IMG_6704.JPG IMG_6705.JPG IMG_6706.JPG IMG_6707.JPG IMG_6708.JPG IMG_6709.JPG

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

So am I. Love to see this, The Iacanno digger and roadster together at LARS 2017, as I will be there.

CW's40TPU likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am still alive, and have been working on our project. Right after my last post, my computer crapped out, and I was unable to keep you up on the progress. I cut out and welded the gussets in the rear radius rods, and bolted them to the rails. I also sawed out some 3/8" aluminum plates for the mid-mounts. More to follow. IMG_6710.JPG IMG_6711.JPG IMG_6714.JPG IMG_6715.JPG IMG_6718.JPG IMG_6719.JPG

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The rear "curved" crossmember was next on the list. Making a mock-up sample from exhaust tube to determine the amount of rise and fit, always works best for me. I built the real one out of 1- 3/4- .120 wall tube. I would like to have had one bent up out of one piece, but that is getting more difficult every day, so I went this route. IMG_6720.JPG IMG_6722.JPG IMG_6724.JPG IMG_6725.JPG IMG_6726.JPG IMG_6727.JPG

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The drive-line torque tube came next. I have a "shorty" torque tube that has a groove that is turned at 22" from the front bell. With it bolted to the transmission, and inline with the lower shaft in the rear end, I measure from the face of the rear end to the front of the groove, add 22", and that is the total length required to fit. I went out behind the shop and picked a candidate, cut it down to size, along with machining the rear flange, and tack-welded it together. It will get sandblasted soon. IMG_6728.JPG IMG_6729.JPG IMG_6732.JPG IMG_6734.JPG IMG_6735.JPG IMG_6736.JPG

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mid-mount frame brackets, gussets will be next. IMG_6737.JPG IMG_6738.JPG IMG_6740.JPG IMG_6741.JPG

18. Pat & Marty,
    Way to go on this very cool project. I just hopped back on to the HAMB today after a year or so hiatus. Had I known this last month I would have talked to you some more at the LA Roadster Show when I gave you a copy of Hot Rodding International with a pic of your roadster among the coverage I did on the year prior LA Roadster Show.
    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks,
    Greg Stokes

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I made some progress in the last couple of weeks, despite taking a few days to attend "Speedweek". It was time to install the rear mountings on the front radius rods, along with finalizing the caster on the front axle. I modified my fixture for drilling the 1/4" pilot holes at the proper angle, and followed with a hole saw. As far as caster, I wanted to end up close to 7 degrees. Accounting for the forward rake the chassis would have when setting on the ground, and with the differential in front to rear tire sizes, I opted for 8 degrees and tack welded the the front axle brackets. IMG_6761.JPG IMG_6742.JPG IMG_6743.JPG IMG_6745.JPG IMG_6746.JPG

1947knuck, brad2v, Dean Lowe and 4 others like this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The front engine mount on the original was a straddle type. For a template to get the correct profile, I bent some aluminum to figure the bend centers. Using some 1 1/2" X 3/8" flatbar, I used some simple tooling that I had for my 17 ton press. IMG_6747.JPG IMG_6748.JPG IMG_6749.JPG IMG_6750.JPG IMG_6751.JPG

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The mounts for the Roto-Flo shocks on the front were the next task. As of now, Pat has only 1 pair of the Model A-2 shocks that the original car had on all 4 corners. He does have a pair of brand new (smaller) A-1's. We decided to make the front mounts fit the A-2's and fab some adapter plates to mount the smaller ones, until such time as we locate another pair of the A-2 shocks. Our old buddy Squeak Bell, helped us out with the last pair. The arms will come later. IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6753.JPG IMG_6754.JPG IMG_6755.JPG IMG_6758.JPG

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The master cylinder on the original was an early Ford, I had an old one that I used for mounting, using some 3/16" and 10 ga plate. The brake pedal will be built, after the belly pan. IMG_6763.JPG IMG_6765.JPG IMG_6764.JPG

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One last look at the chassis without the wheels and tires, before I remove it from the chassis fixture. IMG_6766.JPG IMG_6767.JPG IMG_6768.JPG IMG_6769.JPG IMG_6771.JPG

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

And now for the part I enjoy the most, setting it on the floor ! Now I can set the body on and build the firewall, simulate some weight and weigh all four corners, so the torsion bars can be ordered. IMG_6772.JPG IMG_6773.JPG IMG_6774.JPG IMG_6775.JPG IMG_6776.JPG IMG_6777.JPG IMG_6778.JPG

25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice turret punch, Marty. Man you have some nice equipment.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Marty.

I usually check out the HAMB just before I go to bed.

Maybe that's not such a good idea. I will probably just lie there thinking of this build, dreaming of the "what-iff's" and "maybe's".

This tribute car has the makings of an icon for all racecar/hot rod guys.

Simply amazing.

Can't wait to see it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Marty, What I envy most about your operation is how you are able to keep your shop floor so clean! Dust Bunnies and metal grinding dust are prevalent on mine.
    Nice work on the car too.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Crazy cool chassis, Marty. Gary

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

[​IMG]

I would say that is pretty close to perfect!

1947knuck and brad2v like this.