Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963 "BelAired" Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1pickup, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are you sure the six is a 230? As I recall, Chevy went to 250 cubes for '66 up models.

Ray

theclaw1 likes this.
  2. 1pickup

1pickup

I didn't run the numbers. Maybe I should. Just taking the P.O.'s word for it.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not an issue for me...just pointing out you may have a bit more powerful engine than first thought........just suggesting you may have gotten a 'bonus'......however slight it might be. If it is a 230, no loss.

Ray

4. 1pickup

1pickup

Casting # 3921968 I find that's a '64-'76 230 or 250. Mot much help, as that seems pretty obvious. Tried to see the number stamped on the pad, & it looks like it starts with FO8 then maybe 1? Couldn't find a FO code. Anybody know how to ID these things?

5. 1pickup

1pickup

Scratched the paint off the pad by the distributor & found F0823PW. After an exhaustive web search, it looks like it's a 250 w/ powerglide (which was attached when I got it) from a '69 truck. So, I just gained 20 cubic inches, without any machine shop bill. Thanks to Hnstray.

kiwijeff, Brom and Hnstray like this.
  6. 1pickup

1pickup

Engine completed & running. You can see the way I had to run the exhaust because of the front exit. My first attempt at building a complete exhaust. I used some old but good pipe, some new bends, & a bunch of welding wire. Not real pretty, but it works. I wanted something not-so-common for air cleaners, but couldn't find anything I liked, & decided not to spend the time to make something, so I bought the cheapest ones I could find.
    Here she is with the front back on & "layed out" as the kids say.
    I would have ran the stock 14X5 wheels if I had more than 2, & the dog dish caps, if I had more than 2 mis-matched ones. Looked around the stash & found a set of 15X7 rally wheels w/ decent tires. How do you make them HAMB friendly? Snap some Caddy caps on 'em. Check out the crazy exhaust tips in front of the left rear wheel. N.O.S. from the 60's I think.

kiwijeff and enloe like this.
  7. 1pickup

1pickup

After starting it up, I found out why the right front floor was rusted out. The heater core was filling it up with antifreeze. Here's a tip for you: When you have the front clip off, & the glove box liner is out, you can access the heater core much easier. Don't re-install everything first, like I did. Why I didn't do it then, I can't say. Took it apart & found this mess:
    That pile on the floor is about half of the crap that was in there. Clean, wirebrush, paint, new core ($30 @ rockauto), some scraped knuckles & some swearing & this is back in where it belongs:

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hey, That looks pretty good, You dont waist any time do ya? I think you nailed the look with the caddy caps, Ive got a set just like em I think, Mine are 54/55 caps. The six is lookin good too.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This wagon is way cool. Folk berate 4 dr wagons but they are super practical and a bunch of passengers can enjoy the fun. I love the exterior look , used and budget. keep it up.

10. 1pickup

1pickup

Thanks a lot Kiwi 4d & low budget. I'm pretty sure my caps are '65 Cad. The raised center part has ribs around it. Trying to keep this thing on a budget. So, I have pretty much decided to leave the exterior as is. The only issue with that, is one of the P.O.s did some "bodywork" on the right front fender.
    I didn't know, or had forgot, that there are different length power glides. The trans was 2" longer than the original, so I had to get the front drive shaft shortened. I also had a pile of driveshafts, & found a telescoping one in there. So I had Madison Driveshaft put a section of that one in my old rear one to avoid pushing on the center bearing when it is lowered. I'd recommend Madison Driveshaft to the local HAMBers.
    Mechanically, all I have left is to figure out the PCV, run a vacuum line to the trans, & hook up a kick down linkage. Next up, back to the interior.

11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nice work lpickup looking good I'm sure your buddy would approve! Joe

12. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Very cool to see this on the HAMB!

I wish I could work on three cars at once so I could get the interior is my '63!
    I gave up on finding decent side trim so I made new out of stainless.
    Wish I would have left it like it was and just fixed the mechanics.

at David\'s III.JPG

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If you look em up I think you will find that yours are 54/55 caddy unless Im looking at yours wrong. This one is like mine,they have the ribs around em.
    [​IMG]

14. 1pickup

1pickup

low budget: I think you're right. The '65s look almost the same, but the face is flatter. They don't have the indentation. OK, so far I have learned my 230 is a 250 & my '65 Cad wheel covers are '54s. The value of this thing is climbing, thanks to fellow HAMBers!
    oldsjoe: If my late friend would have built this, it probably would have had a big block, red paint, & Cragars. But, I'd like to think you are right. He knew my tastes.

oldsjoe and low budget like this.
  15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

The car is in GOOD HANDS for sure! Joe

16. 1pickup

1pickup

Thanks again oldsjoe. Here is the headliner I started with:
    The rear was torn out by someone thinking that was a good idea. NOT ME. Had to make some patterns, & do a little guess work.
    Some of the tack strips for the windlace was garbage, so some leftover OSB & a couple minutes with a jig saw, gets you this:

oldsjoe likes this.
  17. Bugguts

Bugguts

I'm enjoying the build so far, keep going!

18. 1pickup

1pickup

Thanks Bugguts. I made some windlace. Actually bought the correct filler this time. I had used rope in the past. It worked, but if the door closes on it, it doesn't give like the foam, & your material covering it will rip. I had to use an electric sewing machine for this, as my old treadle powered one didn't have a "single foot".
    Here's the "good" rear panel that goes over the wheelwell:
    And, the cover off the "not so good" rear panel that goes over the spare:
    Just go to your wife's favorite fabric store & buy a seam ripper:
    Tear it apart to make patterns.

oldsjoe likes this.
  19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I'm by far no seamstress but I like what I'm seeing! My next project will probably have me attempting some of this type work. Joe

20. 1pickup

1pickup

I'm no seamstress either. I have a 1890s(?) treadle (human powered) sewing machine that belonged to my great Grandmother. I have dabbled in upholstery before. But, I'd never (not anymore, anyway) do it for someone else. If I screw it up & it's mine, no problem. If it was for a customer, it would have to be redone. Just gonna show you what YOU can do at home, cheap. If it looks acceptable from 20 feet away, it's good enough for me on this build.

21. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I hear ya. It's good to follow along and take some notes for future reference! Thanks by the way for the tips! Joe

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like it.
    Keep us in the loop ...

23. 1pickup

1pickup

I realize I'm skipping around a little. Anyway, cleaned up (wirebrushed) the metal panels & spayed some paint to slow the rust. Why silver (& black)? 'Cause that's what I had laying around. Nobody will see it, so it doesn't matter.
    I like "Weldwood" spray adhesive found at Home Depot for these things. Seems to hold better than the 3M 77 I used before. Get some cotton batting from the fabric store & glue it on.
    This left rear panel has no sewing, so stretch, glue & clamp. Simple. Sorry about the fuzzy pic.
    Yes, I cut some speaker holes that don't look "traditional." At least they are black covers & not too noticeable.

24. 1pickup

1pickup

The other side has some sewing to do. Post #48 shows me ripping the french seam on the cover. I never tried to do a french seam before, but this build will be good practice. Rear view of my first attempt:
    And, front:
    A little crooked, but I did learn something. When using a treadle sewing machine, sitting in an office chair doesn't work. I was moving all over the place. Next time, no wheels under me while sewing. Also, make sure you know where your material is at all times, or you may sew things together that you didn't intend to:
    More seam ripping was needed after that screw up!

oldsjoe and enloe like this.
  25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

As they say practice makes perfect. That seam looks good to me. Joe

enloe likes this.
  26. shown50

shown50

Liking the way this is turning out. It is budget minded and done with what is laying around like a lot of us have to do. I'll be following this!

27. 1pickup

1pickup

Thanks Hdonlybob & shown50. This is a shot of the right rear wheelwell cover. It shows my not so straight french seam sewing, & the windlace tacked in around the doors:
    The headliner tack strips were all pretty bad. This is the rear one that I made from 2 layers of door board glued together. Originally, they were stapled in. I don't have a staple gun that will go through metal, so I drilled & pop riveted it on:

oldsjoe likes this.
  28. 1pickup

1pickup

Some people (see post #2) are out at '63 wagon, 'cause it ain't a Model A. Others, probably thought the straight 6 or the air ride ruined this project. My best guess is that more will tap out after they see what I'm doing overhead. As you saw, the headliner was ripped up pretty bad. Used what was left to make patterns, & tucked paper under the bows to make patterns for the parts that were completely gone (see post #46).
    A shot of the rear of one of the headliner seams, with the muslin that I used for the bow pocket. I don't know the technical terms for any of this stuff.
    And what the seen seam should look like:
    Here's the windlace in above the doors & the alligator strip, toothed thighy that holds the headliner in:
    This, is a headliner tucking tool I made 30+ years ago from a plastic cycle fender. Stiff, but flexible.
    And, here it is in action. Rounded on the top, helps with the rocking motion that I use to make the magic happen:
    The completed job. Looks tight. Trim back on. Time to do carpet.

oldsjoe likes this.
  29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Elvis would approve! To the Jungle Room! Joe