Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Expanding on Joey's underrated thread,what else is underrated?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Early square 'vairs have never been popular. I think that they had a following like about anything does but never with the rod and custom crowd.

Same with A body MOPARS. Studebaker larks were pretty much in the same boat.

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Anything is fair game in this day. HRP

3. jlckmj

jlckmj

I think the shoe box Chevy's and Fords from 49 to 54 or so.

They were ignored by the street rod folks looking for 1948 or earlier,
    they were also overlooked by the guys going for the 55-56-57 Chevy's and Fords with the more powerful V8's.

They seem to be hot right now, I'm seeing all kinds of them popping up and getting resurrected.

Jim

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. In my neck of the woods the 52-54 Mercury's were overlooked for the more popular '49-51 Models. HRP

Automotive Stud and dana barlow like this.
  5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Tri- five Chevy 4 doors?
    Couldn't give them away 15 years ago, now the markets up to around 8-10 grand for something solid.
    ( at least here in the Nawtheast Rust Corridor.)

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Studebaker's V-8,knowing more then most only a few did play with these,I always liked them. "Tastes have changed" Why is knowing more or in many case less ! now.
    The Studebaker V8 is very strong built engine,the crankshafts are roll hard steel,5 main full balanced was designed for high compression{ 12 to 1+} that would of been great with the fuels 120 oct.+ that were being made at the same time the motor was design in /WW2,, After the war however the gas makers fell off the high oct. band wagon,cuz it was much cheeper to make crap fuel. That move left Studebaker with a kickass V8 with less of HP it was design for, its size was small for good MPG with high oct.,but no fuel to run it,being a small Co., they had to detune there V8 to run that crap. There was no Co. $ for another redsign an tool for bigger motor. There was a faw twincam head under funded set ups for racing done on top of very near stock Studebaker V8s,the lower end was happy around 8000rpm+

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. LBCD

LBCD

I purchased my 41 11 years ago and at the time of purchase an old timer told me i could put the 46-48 front clip on the car as the 41 clip was undesirable. I know the front looks like a smiling face...and I know the kids in my neighborhood all love it. Yesterday I watched a little guy around 5 years of age get off his porch and walk down to the side walk and give me a thumbs up...classic!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Lil32, lothiandon1940, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

All of the new cars look the same to me. The Mustang, Charger, Camaro, Challenger, etc. Cookie cutter molds. Sure, there is a slight difference in the bodies but they still look the same to me.

If they are going to bring these cars back, at least make them look like what they used to look like. Anyone can put in a big motor in a new style car and call it a muscle car but we're not being fooled.

I can see them redoing the Anglia and it comes out looking like a VW/Camaro mix.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    unfinished and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

'51 and '52 Ford Pickups always seemed to be the odd ones out, especially when I built my '51 20 years ago. Everyone wanted a '53 - '56 F-100 (especially '56s). Even the '48-50' F-1's seemed more popular and had better aftermarket support. Today I see alot more high quality builds centered around '51 and '52 Pickups. Maybe Weesner and Jimmy are to blame for some of that.

[​IMG]

10. I remember when the old jail bar Ford trucks were deemed undesirable,I even poo poo them,today if I found a good solid one with a nice flatty I think I would be tempted. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Agreed. I would almost jump through a small hoop for the right COE or Heavy Duty Jail Bar. Speaking of which, wasn't it about 20 years ago no one would even waste a 9mm round on a COE?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    lothiandon1940 and weps like this.
  12. Yeah. HRP

13. In high school I had a friend with a 62 Dodge Dart,he took the 6 cylinder out and shoe horned a 440 in it's place,a lot of guys underrated it's potential. :DHRP

14. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

How about Squarebirds 58-60.....

charleyw likes this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'll bite.;)
    Post war Willys cars. I could have bought one in 1989 for 50 bucks, I was not interested.
    Larks
    Metropolitans
    Post War Chevy Areocoupes
    41 Buicks
    F1s (Honestly I think the Fred G Sanford image really hurt these trucks. Growing up in the 70s-80s whenever we got behind a real POS that backed up traffic, someone would start humming the Sanford and Son theme.)
    International
    Diamond Ts A 31 was for sale here cheap....no big interest
    55 and up GMCs
    54 up Oldsmobiles
    1960 Fords
    58 up T Birds
    58 Chevy
    Falcons
    I still hate a Corvair
    It may be regional but the Shoebox Ford was never on this list. As a matter of fact it was an icon. 32 Ford, 40 Ford, 57 Cheverolet and the 50 Ford were the icons.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lots of 66 up stuff is under rated (understandably here) especially non muscle car stuff, a lot of the land yachts of the 70s and 80s spark my interests more these days.

Greenblade likes this.
  17. 41-46 Chevy Art Deco Pickups....They're just now getting the aftermarket support! I've had mine for since 1977...TRENDSETTER??? Naaahhh!

18. indyjps

indyjps

49 to 54 chevy, I agree getting much more attention than say 15-20 years ago, I think really good builds and availability have driven that.

40-48 anything non ford was traditionally more restoration or street rod based builds, Im seeing more traditional builds here, think there's room to grow.

1960-64 GM's mid and small size, actually all makes. These were transition years and had some weird drivetrains. I think availability and low prices these will gain popularity, builders are getting more creative on swapping out drivetrain that were once a stumbling block. Hey, if you gotta cut out the entire floor for rust, might as well use the drivetrain you want.

4 doors are much more accepted and being built more than in the past, mostly I think due to availability.

A lot of Rebuilding street rods and r#t r#ds into better cars is going on, remove the tweed/ billet, or skulls/ chains and there's a car under there.

Trucks are getting built better than in the past, higher level of finish and non popular trucks are being pulled in as candidates.

Overall, I think we'll see the past undesirable become more mainstream, the low cost cars due to low popularity will be snagged by ambitious hot rodders and turned cool by a quality build, a couple others will see it and replicate and start driving a "trend" to make them more mainstream. Question is, who's got the balls to do the first all out build on a non popular car. As much as I don't like trends, a lotta people are generally averse to going out on a limb and need to see if before they can jump in.

I like it, it's an open approach, builders are getting creative and throwing all kinds of combinations of things together. Late model clips, rear, suspension, bags, brake swaps, engines from any make. While not all this fits the HAMB guidelines it makes for interesting builds we can all appreciate or learn a few tricks from. It's true hotrodding, use what's available and build a cool ride.

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I remember when most would walk by a 37 Ford for being 'ugly'.
    How many 35 Fords got either 34 or 36 grills?

20. I remember back in the early 70's when the resto rod style was King of the Hill,the 1937 Ford all jacked up with tire hanging out in the breeze I thought they were ugly then a fellow club member decided to build one,we gave him a hard time but he proved us wrong when he showed up with a low look and the tires tucked up under the fenders and my ida changed that very day. HRP

El Mirage Garage and hallrods like this.
  21. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I had a 62' Rambler like this in the late 70's...paid $200 for it, and I admit, laughed at a lot driving it at my Naval Station, but it ran great....I still like them...kind of quirky, but so easy to work on! I think Ramblers were very underrated to be sure. I was sent to Alaska, and parked the car at my grandfather's house in Oregon....while away a mere 2 weeks, he sold it ...said he "was embarrassed to have it in the yard"....and he sold it for $25 less than I paid for it!!!o_O:D 1963RamblerAmerican_01_700.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Greenblade and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Caution!! OT reply to an OT reply
    5,6 and 700 HP motors in a production car for a little more than a decked out pickup? Hell, I thought we all would be forced into an electric Prius by now. Thank the heavens for cheap gas and enjoy.

rod1, lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

1960 Plymouth Valiant .....just look at all that design!....with fins on both ends!:D:D:D 3395911159_36d0203d19_o.jpg

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

One of the ugliest cars ever made...........Kinda cool isnt it:cool:......:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^yup...my mom drove a 60' Valiant....I would hide on the floorboards in the back seat when she took me to school in 66-67'...I didn't even know why at the time!....can spot them a mile away:D^^^

26. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

20160423_172927.jpg ugly? Yes! Overlooked and underrated? Definitely, but I love mine.

27. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Kind of an underrated model of Model A Ford....1930 Cabriolet Rural Mail Delivery! They were indeed made for heavy snow in rural routes of Montana, and only a very few are still known to exist. They sported 24'' inch tractor tires for just that "little bit" more traction I'm assuming! Not sure why they did not catch on better than they did....LOL:rolleyes::confused::D v7rbsekbiqno9baiwjn7.jpg ford-model-a-mail-truck-2.jpg dodge-delivery-1930-13.jpg

28. I cannot find the words to describe how cool this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

This has to be the original "donk."

lothiandon1940 likes this.