Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Problems at Goodguys Columbus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capn Al, Jul 13, 2015.

1. You do realize that this was about Columbus a year ago?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. GG has been going down hill for a while depending on where you go. Last time I went was in '03 here. Getting in was not a problem but yes going home was. The way they routed the exit was going to route me past a ton of traffic lights and local businesses. I could see the freeway entrance so I just drove around the barricade and the barricade monitor. Uh everyday. :D

The wife came to see me and they made her pay for spectator parking when there were spaces left to park on the trailer area. Handi-cap parking was in the back 40 not anywhere near the gate and they wouldn't give her a lift because she "didn't look handi-capped"

Anyway if I want to do a show there are plenty of shows that cater to cars that are a little more to my liking.

Gary did a lot to promote hot rodding, even if it is not to my own personal taste, and I did meet some interesting people over the years. They are OK if that is your cup of tea. A lot of people wouldn't get anywhere near a modified car if they were not there. ;)

3. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I get in early about 6:30 am on Fri & Sat. All the best spots (aisles and corners) are taken. I hear the gates opened at 5:00am and there was a long line for the power parkers. No thanks. I normally park in the same area every year. It's familiar and good. This year, I saw a lot of people saving spots with lawn chairs and coolers at 6:30am. I saw some just pull in, move the stuff in their way, and park. There were some who got very agitated about that and actually came close to fists. Really, over a dumb parking place?
    I normally have had enough by 2:30pm and get out. The traffic in Columbus is awful on Friday. Saturday, still busy but not so bad. I drive 80 miles one way on both Friday & Saturday. Why, because I'd rather be driving my hotrod then sitting and looking at it!

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Was this at the Fairgrounds? My wife is from Columbus and my son lives there now. They didn't have the Good Guy's meet when I was living there. I'm wondering what ghetto area?

5. You have to learn to put up with all kinds of people in this world. I have had to learn to try and not come to blows. The class of people that the good guys attracts would demand legal action. These days a well placed fist to the mouth could get you 3-7. The thought of 3 hots and a cot isn't too bad, its the 6'6"
    fiancé named Bubba that bothers me. :eek:

The parking deal has been a problem for a long time. One or two spots isn't too bad its when someone thinks that a block of spaces is appropriate that bothers me the most. if you're a club get organized and arrive together.

Paul B likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

REMINDER - This Thread Was From 2015 - Big show means lots of entrants/spectators - as for general parking/exit route they are not controlled by Good guys - can be lots of reasons for smaller turn out

Sent from my VS985 4G using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I do now!

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"A fool and his money are soon parted". -Goodguys

slammed likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't even bother to go to the one out here in Northern California, unless a customer asks, or is debuting a car I worked on.

$20 to get in, to see late-model crap, with stuff stuck to it with double-sided tape.

Pocket Nick likes this.
  10. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Visited Goodguys in Columbus when on business travel years ago... Was not impressed with parking etc.

If you're in Ohio do yourself a favor and shoot down to Louisville for the Street Rod Nationals first week in August... We always have a good time and it's easy to get around town. The locals are friendly and welcome all the hot rodders...

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I really enjoy GoodGuys Columbus and have for 19 years.. I'm sure glad someone puts these big shows on so I can see 1,000's of hot rods, new parts vendors, swap meet parts, cars for sale and hang out with old car people.. Looking forward to next year already....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ironrodder

ironrodder

Missed it for the first time. Couldn't see paying for an entry when the truck is apart and $20 to spectate. Took Grandson to COSI for his birthday so we were in Columbus.

13. They all belong to a club called "The Posers"