Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36-taildragger.....Made in Sweden

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Got a little bit more done to the front end today. Driver side fender must have been smashed or bend some way. When I mocked up the hood side I noticed the surface where it will lay against on the fender were out of line. Too flat and bend inwards. Tried to reshape it but it was too stiff .Make a new was a lot easier so here we go.

The crooked one.

[​IMG]

The new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. j hansen

j hansen

Perfect,as always.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Great way to solve that problem! Looks terrific!

Sent from my LG-H810 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi Kenneth....really like what you are doing with your 36. Here's a pic of aluminium rear fender I'm using on my car. I bought the pair of rear fenders on eBay uk. The middle pic is my car which started life as a uk 1937 ford v8 model 62 four door sedan.....I think the front fender is very similar to your fender in third pic where you welded up the seam. Bob in Scotland

chryslerfan55, Stogy and cgc1958 like this.
  5. Have done some more work on the fender, For some reason it was really thin in some areas and I thought it needed some new patches . Don´t whant rocks from the tires make dents from the backside in that thin metall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Wow, that is some nice metal work!

7. Yowza; nicely done!
    We are attempting similar patches on a car at the museum, where I volunteer. Are you using Tig?
    Could you post a closeup of a section of them, showing your "weld lines" on front and back sides?

8. hasty

hasty

Amazing skills - beautiful work

9. Thanks guys.Much appriciated.
    Rokit: I tig weld all sheet metall and here´s some close ups for you.
    Outside
    [​IMG]

Backside
    [​IMG]

36 ROKIT, Stogy and Squablow like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really nice work. What size disk do you use to knock down the TIG weld? Bob

11. Thanks Bob. This is the machines I´m using. 5" flap disc on the angle grinder. 2" pneumatic and last a 5" oscilating. All are 80 grit paper

[​IMG]

Dannerr likes this.
  12. Time for update. Got some help from Palle Johansen with the making of a curved glass for the sunken licens plate in rear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got driverside headlight pod trimmed to fit the fender .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scored these on a kustom meet last weekend. A pair of 112´s

[​IMG]

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

You were at the Customs & Kustoms show too?
    I saw few pairs of those Appletons at there for sale.Fellow finn who was in our "carpool" bought a pair of them.And nice work again!

14. Yes I was. It was a friend of mine ( Lars from Denmark ) who sold them. What car did you ride in?

chryslerfan55 and Dannerr like this.
  15. Beautiful!
    Really ticking all the boxes.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Detail work like that curved license plate glass is so nice to see, so is that fender work. Bob

18. Palle is a good man, very helpfull! :)
    Lars Kjær? Thought he would use them on his own '36... Good to see them come to good use! :D

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I heard he sold the '36..

20. :( That was such a great custom-in-the-making... Not many of those in DK.

21. Ok. So you were with Janne in his boot where he was selling his stuff. Then we have met without knowing it when I was talking to Janne.
    You´re right, Lars have sold the 36 and unfortunatly the new owner will change it in to a steet rod instead

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,there was four of us.I was the most santa claus looking guy of that crew.
    Lars showed few before and after pics of his 36 and it sure looked like better when it was in his possession.
    Well,you sure can buy cars with money,but cant buy a good taste with anything..

23. telekenfun

telekenfun

That glass is incredible. The spots look to be mint. Are they a left/right pair? With your taste and skills you deserve to get such a score.
    How come all the good old American stuff has ended up in what my Swedish grandma called the "Old country". It's obvious you take better care of what you value!
    I anxiously await all your postings,thanks.
    Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  24. Thanks KB. Yes they are a left and right pair but not really mint. There´s some small dings in the pods and some minor pitting . Could be used as is for a driver but for show they need some work.

25. redoxide

redoxide

Hi Ken, great work, brilliant detail.. .I get easy confused, was it you who I met in the pub at Pendine ?

26. Yes it was. Small world....hehe. It was nice talking to you . Have you got that Merc inside the garage yet?

27. redoxide

redoxide

:) good to speak with you :) Hope to see you there next year .

The Merc is still sat outside in the elements, got to say though, the damage has already been done.. it cant get any rustier LOL

I took the body off the chassis and had the chassis blasted, Its now assembled with the 50 merc flatty, 39 box and 40 rear.. front end is a droped I beam from Nostalgia Sids. reverse eys mono and tube shox. I mounted a front fender to the chassis to get some idea of where the 6x16s sat in the arch... looks sweet ... Im catching up now and gaining on the Merc body, Hoping to get it in the garage within the next few weeks..

Any more progress with your projects.. ?

28. I´ve been asked a few times about making fenderskirts for 35-36 fenders and thought I should give it a try. The ones I have for the car is as usuly to low and barely covers the wheel opening. I copied the shape of them but made the new ones an inch higher. Also copied the locking mechanism to make them look like old ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. hasty

hasty

Looks fantastic

30. Another step closer. Passenger side front fender is modified and a smooth panel tacked in instead of the headlight stand and horn grill. Mocked up the grill and hood to be sure that everything is lined up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]