Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a V8 60 in a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jhtrlake, Jul 10, 2016.

1. jhtrlake

jhtrlake
    from Michigan

I'm looking to install a V8 60 in my 31' a Roadster. I'm sure this has been done hundreds of times so looking for advise on packaging, transmission and clutch requirements, etc. I want to make sure I collect all the parts I need before I start. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Look at the displacement of the V8 60 compared to the stock Model A. Displacement is not the whole story but it is a large part. See if you can find one that has been converted and drive it, I think you will decide to hop up a 4 banger or go to the 85 horse V8.

Charlie Stephens

3. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

My second V8-60 is an effort to correct the mistakes I made on the first. The primary consideration for me is getting the gearing right since the little 60 has so little low RPM torque. It gets it's power way up the curve. That means the first gear and rear ratios should add up to nearly but not lower than the factory passenger car ratio. Since the mass of an A varies wildly depending on how much Model A you expect to remain on the car. Clearly lighter is better. Worlds of information on your intended project is lacking here and having any chance at the best engineering considerations as compared to struggling out the driveway as too many ill fated 60 projects suffer. Little wonder that the majority of opinions are toward negative. Anyone can get some torquemonster engine to function without complaint, but the 60 is quite another matter. Good Luck: Fred A

4. Well I am not sure that either flatty can be considered to be a torque monster. :D

You are absolutely correct here, the v8-60 can be a challenge and also quit snappy when properly done in a light vehicle. A close ratio transmission is a plus as it makes it easier to stay in the power band, but you also run into the problem of 1st not being deep enough to launch well. There are always some trade offs.

Here is an interesting article on Stock ford gears v Lincoln Zephyr gears. Actually the article is well written on gear selection in general. I usually try to 'splain, but this makes it easier for me and the reader.LOL

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/lincoln.htm

One thing that I would not suggest for the V8-60 swap is the use of the model a tranny.One thing that I would use for encouragement is that the V8-60 is a good depression era swap, they were actually quite popular in some circles for quite some time.

5. I wanted a v8 60 for my build, but ended up going with a 59 ab.
    Regardless of what engine you use, you will need a new radiator, need to weld on motor mounts/ trans mounts, replace the pedals via fabricating a new mount like what I did or using a f1 crossmember and welding that in, figure out the steering, and figure out the exhaust.

I have never seen a running 60, but I am just 21 years old. I think they are super cool, but the only things you save with the engine in opposition to a full size flathead is possibly some cosmetic clearancing/ body work, and boxing the frame (you also save weight of course).
    A banger is a lot easier!!! (A lot more direct motor costs)

That being said, I have heard the 60s are super expensive to rebuild. Figure out what you want; can't wait to hear the decision!

6. i'd like to hear from someone who actually drove a model A with a V8 60. how does it compare to a stock 4 banger? i believe the stock 4 banger is 200 cubic inches and the V8 60 is 136

there was a very nice `29 roadster pickup with a V8 60 in the swap meet at Iola drawing some attention. i never thought to ask that question

7. I drove a T with a V8-60 once it was fun to drive. Never an A. The real difference is the way that the torque comes on. They just feel different than a banger. I don't see anything wrong with either.

8. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

My first 60 was a '26 T coupe with Model A running gear, mostly. The trans was a Model 73 with the Commercial Car gearset. That means a 14/29 gear. The rear was Model A with 3.78s, equaling a 13.3 overall first gear. I was fairly pleased with the combination. Down side was the aerodynamics of the T pushed too much wind and the road speed really felt any breeze. Now with an open wheel Model A roadster, my scheme is for a numerically similar overall first gear with an overdrive or close ratio T5. Lack of a TT adapter slowing me down on the use of my T5 4WD. The toy trans for the 60 could be the right scale and useable ratios. Just don't have one. Who knows? Could end up with a banger sooner. Right now my A pickup is taking all my energy. Good Luck: Fred A