Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Coker Tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmpcpro, Jul 9, 2016.

1. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Hey guys I just spent a couple grand over at Coker tires for wheels and tires and when I got them mounted I noticed one of the tires had really poor wrapping from the factory that must have got wet and plastered little pieces of cardboard caked all over the white walls.. I started to wipe them with one of their wipes I bought from them and a piece of the whitewall came off with the cardboard!!!!!! I'm shocked! I tried calling them but they're closed on the weekends but now I'm worried about how well the others may hold up, or if it's just a freak thing.. I hope they will send me a new one.. Now I have to pay to have another one mounted too.. Has anyone else seen anything like this happen? I really hope I don't get a run around on this.. As far as I'm concerned once I show them pictures they should send me another and if they want their old one back they should pay to ship it back.. Does that sound fair? Thanks!

2. Show us a picture. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. slack

slack

Relax. They are good folks. They will do you right.

Flynn's_57 and 1951Biff like this.
  4. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Thanks. Now I've found there are a bunch of dents or creases in the whitewall after cleaning more of it. I'm wondering if this tire is even safe to run with them or if it's just cosmetic. The whitewall also looks like it's cracking in places, which makes me think this one was on their shelves for a long time.. But biggest concern is if those dimples are cosmetic or structural.. However I am thinking I will probably have to hold off on installing all the new wheels and tires until they handle it.

Attached Files:

5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you need a closer pic of your tire as it does not look bad in your pic, just a few low spots in the white next to the rim

6. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Check the date code on each tire. It's a 4 digit number up by the rim and it should end with 15 or 16 (for 2015 or 2016). The first 2 digits are for the week it was made-week 46 would be in November, etc. so 4615 would be November 2015. If it ends with 10 or 11 that will tell you that it's been sitting in their warehouse for awhile. Check them out and let us know....

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

FYI you can buy Cokers thru Summit Racing too. Mine come mounted and balanced with free shipping and the Customer service for things like this is way easier. The price is comparable too.

8. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Well with a closer pic of it on the other side there is a hole in the whitewall and very light cracking in many spots but I was mostly worried about those spots by the wheel. Those I just discovered and I was wondering if they are weak spots in the sidewall.

9. There seems to be some slight dimples,pimples or tit's on the other hand are common on whitewalls,even back in the day. HRP

[​IMG]

10. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

I went through Coker directly because they are thirty minutes away so I could pick up locally

11. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Thanks HRP, are those safe to run with?

12. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

There is the hole in the whitewall. I didn't take a pic yet of all cracking

Attached Files:

13. Well,not really,Coker tire is in Tennessee so I suspect you got them from a dealer and they could possibly have been laying around a while,I've had several sets of Coker tires and after you clean them what you think is cracking will most likely wash off.

It's where they applied the blueing and wrapped the plastic around the tire while it's still wet. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Merlin and C. John Stutzer like this.
  14. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

They have a wherehouse in City of Industry too now. The biggest worry is the hole and the dimples.. Do you think this tire is safe with those dents? Thanks

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

OP has a total of 7 posts on the HAMB, all of which are on this thread. No other posts or threads. Interesting.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

$2,000? I'd be sick. I hope they take care of you.

slowmotion likes this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe just a lurker. He's been here a couple years.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, very disappointing - but, since you are close need to call them Monday and haul them back and inspect new replacement(s) and have them do the mounting.

19. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Yeah I figured the same thing.. Going to have to make the trip back over there Monday.. Was kind of hoping you guys would say it's no big deal and not dangerous and I could have an excuse to mount them and maybe just have Coker give me a big discount but I guess I'm just going to have to hold off and make the trip over there. One things for certain, I noticed they had mounting tools there when I picked them up so I will have them mount it.. Cost me $20 to mount it at my local shop.

20. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Yeah I am pretty sad they didn't catch it.. I noticed it myself but just assumed they knew best and figured it would just be paper and come off.. Didn't notice the dimples.. Should have said something when I noticed one tire wrapped differently than the other three.. I'm guessing it's an old one but I'll look at the stamp when I get back home and let you guys know. I bought wheels too but these tires were $280 ea

21. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

I usually just read and have no need to post.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Makes sense to me. I hope it all goes well for you.

23. cmpcpro

cmpcpro

Thanks, me too! I'll keep you guys posted on Monday. Going to head out there first thing.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

How many threads about Cokers poor quality before folks stop buying their junk?

25. Bader2

Bader2

Ive got three sets of firestones,one whitewall,two blacks,all have been good,no out of round or hard to balance.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Cokers I have are OK for roundness, etc. The rubber does seem quite hard however, as spinning them on weathered concrete only "cleans" the concrete, sorta wiping off the crud and discoloration back to looking like new concrete.
    They are getting old also, but show no signs of dry rot or cracking, but I'm still sorta concerned, even though they are bias ply.
    On edit: Just called the friend who originally started the build that I finished,and also who bought the tires originally @ Coker, and between us we figger the tire are 14-15 years old.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  27. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Did you check the date code on the tires? Were they all made in the last year or two?

28. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Coker Tires have been discussed on this site several times before. I for one will never by Cokers again, take it from there.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  29. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

To the OP, brace your self and be prepared for more biased (in Coker's favor) responses. I'd be surprised if this thread doesn't get closed. Some people here can't handle the ugly truth. Good luck, hope they take care of you.

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have bought several sets of tires from Coker, some were pristine and some looked "flawed" but I've never had a failure of any kind. They even made good on a tire that was damaged by what was really an error on the installers part. Bums me out that they've gotten so expensive, there aren't many alternatives if you want the right look.