Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Salty- I love that.

I always tell my wife that me working on my car is "my therapy"...it is the only time I escape all of the annoyances of the world and feel a sense of accomplishment. Even though at times I want to smash the car to bits, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2. thats why you dont see hot rods parked at a phsyciatrists office.

3. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

You sure it's not just because we don't have any time or money to go.

30dodgeboy, 55belairx2 and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Not a dumb question at all. We fully believe we had it seated all the way. We did not try to draw the transmission to the block with the bell housing bolts. It malted to the block fine.
    Upon further reading on speedways site the flex plate we bought will not work with a 12" converter. Some kind of unique offset. And it's a noticeable one when you compare the two laying them flat side by side.
    Not able to get the converter back off has me worried. It's spins free and also has the play it needs to bolt up.
    We are goings to use the old flex plate to mock up and see how that goes.
    Standby...........

loudbang likes this.
  5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Ugh , i'm at the mercy of when my driveshaft will be here . Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday at best or will spend Wednesday night putting the old stuff back in and hope for the best and load up on the trailer. Plan to leave after lunch and get there 4-5 on Thursday.

loudbang, Zettle Bros. and Gammz like this.
  6. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Oh all here goes.
    After fighting that converter all morning I placed a call to the guy who built the transmission. He says yeah I should slide right off. It won't. Load that bad rabbit up and get it down here. After we u load it he pulls on it and no dice. He says we may have a problem. Shit.... Out come the pry bars. A couple of good ol fashion muscle she pops free. Zaps off the bell and starts looking.
    Believe it or not not a thing is broken or even messed up! So I tell him the flex plate story and sure enough makes sense to him.
    No he looks into the convertor and says "what the heck?" That thrust washer is not centered. The tab is sticking out. We look at a stock converter and sure as hell you have to really feel for that washer. So we try to pry the stall converter washer over. No luck.
    So it was not made right. That's why it was a bitch to get on. And when we put the incorrect flexplate on that jammed it all up good.
    So for now he has the transmission and the new stall. I went and exchanged it with out any problems. The parts counter guy even said "yeah that's not right".
    The new flexplate will arrive tomorrow and she will have my transmission put back together by lunch time. With any luck at all we can have it all bolted up in the evening.

Of course my luck is so bad I could fall in a bath tub full of titties and come out sucking my thumb.....

Here are some pics of the different offset for the flexplates.
    View attachment 3265237 View attachment 3265238 View attachment 3265239 View attachment 3265240
    The new one will not work with a oem 12" or any 12" converter. Has to be 10" or smaller. Some FYI for y'all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  7. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

It would still be worth a try to go ahead and fall in

loudbang likes this.
  8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Agreed.Looooooooves me some teats!lol

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It would make for a soft landing.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Okay guys and gals the last weekend to get ready before the weekend of weekends.
    Plan to head north sometime Thursday morning.

If someone needs something I may have to bring along let me know.
    Look at the dates on your seat belts if you have a roll bar and check your helmet.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  11. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Got the transmission back. Fought tooth and nail to get it in. New flex plate on.
    Putting driveshaft in and now the fucking transmission won't come out of park!!! What the fuck is going on! ??

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Pull the pan can't be that bad.

Gammz likes this.
  13. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Tomorrows plans. Perhaps the parking prawl or linkage is jack up.

14. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Dave & I spent Wednesday cleaning up all the loose ends on the Crosley. It is ready to go.

I won't be able to attend with my Ford 6 dragster but I don't know how to let the Meltdown crew know so someone on the waiting list can take my place.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did the converter rattle(play between the flex plate) before you bolted it up

16. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Glad to see I'm not the only one thrashing. Took about 8 hours to mount a seat belt today. I know, how can it take 8 hours to mount a seat belt! Some days are a struggle. Looking forward to seeing you all.....keep working.

loudbang and 55belairx2 like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jeff seen my post hear.

18. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

I think just about everyone is thrashin' gotta love the week before the meltdown ! Lol

19. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Yes.
    News is son got home from work and dropped the pan. It appears that the internal linkage that pulls the prawl off park gear has come off. Some how. The linkage rod won't move when moving the gear selector. Going to get the valve body off in the morning and see if we can get her fixed.

loudbang likes this.
  20. if it was easy everyone would be building cars. stay strong you still have seven days. last week i was out in the shop after work. i heard all this noise outside. i opened the door to see what was going on. it was the birds the sun was coming up. i must have been very focused.

62Furious, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well folks I fired the dragster tonight and it was a success only a few adjustments need to be made tomorrow night test and tune at the world famous mokan dragway meltdown here we come we fired it in the garage on stands and with my daughter in the pilot seat while we were running it and tuning a bit I had her run it through the gears and boy she was smiling Next thing she will be wanting to run this thing lol anyhow here is a pic with it all together tomorrow I will get some pics and maybe even some video if all works out ok [​IMG]

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is great news Jackson!!!!:)

23. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Awesome
    mighty mouse.jpg
    Looks like a good race for A.J. .:rolleyes:

Love this old post from Art. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    beebee78 and 30dodgeboy like this.
  24. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Looks great Randy, hope all you guys have a great time at this years Meltdown, wish I coulda made it. Next year definitely :)

30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  25. Saxxon

Saxxon

We seriously have to talk about letting me sit in that thing. I have always wanted a FED but I'll settle for some seat time without drama... assuming the cage fits my wide ass...

powrshftr likes this.
  26. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for the kind words guys I have so many people that has helped me get this thing done and can't thank them enough Saxon you my friend have a first class ticket to set in the seat it's pretty roomy lol does that blower drive look familiar lol

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I didn't look that complete when I sat in it and the engine looked different.

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20151016_212237.jpg This was the last time I seen it

Tickety Boo, powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  29. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Racers-

In one week you will embark on the greatest vintage drag meet in the world, toward which we striven these many months and years. The eyes of the world are upon you. The memories and dreams of thousands who remember these better days of drag racing are with you.

But this is the year 2016! The Meltdown Drags will be the best it has ever been. Your brothers and sisters from 42 states and Canada will join you to celebrate vintage drag racing, relive the past, share ou...r passion and educate the future.

YOU are the men and women who are single handedly keeping vintage drag racing alive...we provide the venue for you to display your passion, ingenuity, hard work and love!

God speed to those coming near and far. Exactly 7 days from today engines will be fired up and the first cars will be making passes down historic Byron Dragway!

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will try not to let you down Jeff.

powrshftr likes this.