Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fan Shrouds, i need some ideas.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Hi team I have been told I need a fan shroud on my T for Cert in NZ.
    Any pics of what you have done would be cool.
    Its only for safety not to aid cooling, that's not an issue.
    Cheers, JW
    [​IMG]

2. Ole don

Ole don

Make a box to fit the rear of the radiator, cut a hole one inch larger than the fan centered for fit, make flanges to mount. If its for safety, make it come back just a bit further than the fan. Help from a sheet metal man would be nice, depending on your skill level.

3. Would they let you run a hood? The '28 Model A had a shroud so maybe you could get some ideas from a vendor catalog.

Charlie Stephens

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure about the shroud deal. But now they want you to run a hood top on a new build!!!
    I know why as we have had it happen numerous times stopped at the lights and a pedestrian will suddenly do a swan dive into the engine to see how hot and sharp it really is .
    Sorry , it really defeats the purpose of building a T bucket by putting a hood on.

hipster and Skankin' Rat Fink like this.

5. george d gabert

george d gabert

Just cut a strip of sheet metal and extend the radiator shell longer. bolt or rivet to shell. Polished Stainless Steel or painted color of body. That would clean up the rough edge of your current shell. GDG

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine has an electric fan shoved in it but you can ignore that part. The shroud was built by Lee at Brassworks. It's made from brass and German silver, brass rivets, ford script stamping is licensed. Just an idea.
    Radiator1.jpg

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

since it is just a safety item, go to summitracing.com or others and search for a cheap universal fan shroud - it is just a chrome 2"-3" wide strip 1/2 circle that installs easily - no use in making it any more complicated than need be.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nothing like top quality at top price - but, it sure looks odd with single fan down so low

9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Here is a stock Model A Shroud , they were on Big Trucks and some cars IMG_0711.JPG Cooling has to start at the TOP of the Radiator as the water returns to the TOP,

Jet96 likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JJ, Lee claimed it would work perfect down there, so far it has only ran in the garage. It makes sense that heat rises so the fan would be most appropriate in the top of the shroud but Lee has built so many radiators and shrouds that I bowed to his expertise and knowledge of his trade. That has never failed me in the past...LOL

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

There was a Thread dedicated to SHROUDS , but apparently the New & Improved HAMB has deleted older Threads ? I tried to find it on my Feed but it's gone. anyways One guy had made the Ring using a Few inches of a new Garbage can and attached it with brackets , Looked good ,but to be efficient the Air should be drawn through the upper .

larryj likes this.
  12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

With just a fan you draw generally thru the area directly backed by the fan.
    With a shroud you draw thru the entire core thats enveloped by the shroud.
    Doesn't matter where the fan is...unless its right up tight against the rad cores.
    THEN it will likely draw just thru that area mostly...but its also not the correct way to mount a fan and shroud assembly anyway.
    You do need a little clearance!
    Made a shroud and electric fan combo for my BBC T. Used to cook up a little in traffic or when stopped.
    Not any more! ;)

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Shroud 3.jpg There was an excellent thread showing how to make one. The HAMB needs an index. Basically get the measurements then lay a cardboard circle the the size of your fan and the correct inches from the base rectangle and drape fabric over and fibreglass then cut the cardboard circle out

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Dave Mc likes this.
  15. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Made mine formed alum. box. angled down 45 deg at the top with a commercial ring bolted on. max engine temp so far 190 deg. IM001153.JPG

16. Here are some I've clicked and saved off the HAMB. None are mine. The first one is actually two resturant serving trays riveted together.
    ShroudSteamerTray.jpg Shroud.jpg shroud rivited 01.jpg shroud formed.jpg palouse11234S.jpg

Jet96, Dave Mc and olscrounger like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here are a couple of aluminum ones I have built using mechanical fans. IMG_1575.JPG P1010035.JPG P1010070.JPG

18. 55willys

55willys

The rule of thumb is to have the fan 2/3rds in and 1/3rd out for optimum cooling. If it is too far in it will recycle the air inside the shroud and cause overheating.

19. Thanks for all the replies, I don't need it to help with cooling, just a minimal legal requirement type. I can now see why electric fans are used more and more, this may be a quick option or last resort but not my first choice.
    Keep em coming guys, cheers. JW

20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Here's mine simple but it works. t fan shroud 001.JPG

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Made out of fiberglass.. 51 New Pics 020.jpg

pat59 likes this.
  22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Since in your case it's only needed to meet safety req's, does it need to be solid or can it be a wire guard just around the outside edge of the blades?

23. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

This is the one I made for my 33 , I made Male & Female Dies using 3/4" Plywood and Squeezed a Sheet of # 303 H 14 Aluminum ,using a Porta-Power , then hammered the edges over the plywood and installed an Electric fan , works great ! 33vicShrd1.jpg 33vicShrd2.jpg 33vicShrd4.jpg 33vicShrd6.jpg

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Since it is only for safety, can you get the federales off your back with a warning label???

[​IMG]

26. car doctor

car doctor

Here is what l made; very simple and does the trick. 2016-07-06 13.01.49.jpg 2016-07-06 13.02.06.jpg

27. Car Doctor, this is in the area of what I am looking for, thanks and thanks for the other replies.
    I think I may need to see my Cert.guy again and see what will constitute a sufficient shroud then take some ideas from here and make it work. JW

28. Okay, its been nearly two years and in that time I have rebuilt the car AND made a fan shroud so I thought I should conclude this thread with a report on what I did.
    I used some 2mm thick aluminium sheet (ex work-free!) and shaped and rolled it. Made three mounts, two strap type at the bottom and attached to the Shell/radiator mounts and the top with a long bolt and crush tube to an adapter from the radiator stay mounts. Some black paint and done deal. JW
    [​IMG]

AndersF likes this.
  29. It is actually illegal to run a car in Ontario without a hood , not that anyone will jump into the motor , but will contain the fluids from splashing onto pedestrians , should you blow a rad hose , transmission or fuel line , contain or slow down a broken fan blade .
    Although not enforced, the law is there !!!
    I am betting your insurance company may enforce it !!!

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26T....even tho you did it for protection it still aids in cooling. It's funny that you need to have part of it outside of the lip but for protection it's all inside.