Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D I do believe that is called an anti rattle spring.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Yes, but how is it used on this particular application.

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DThe narrow side goes in the puck.It keeps the brake pad from ratteling.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. New guy here, here are a couple of before and during photos of the 63.5 hardtop I picked up last fall. It's a bit of a basket case I'm afraid. It was originally a Rangoon red/red interior car with bucket seats and console and three on the tree. So far I've put new floors and inner rockers in it ( did the rockers twice but that is a story buy itself). I've mini-tubbed it and am now working on the rear sub frame section.
    One thing I've done that I haven't seen talked about is to put some 1X2X.120 wall tube inside my rocker cavity. It is welded to the back side of the inner rocker sheet all the way down and then the front torque boxes tied in like normal. My rear frame rails are 1.5X3 tube and tied in directly the rocker tubes. I guess my question is do you think I'll still need to put in a more traditional set of subframe connectors in addition to the tubes I put in my rockers? I'll be running a 347 with a toploader four speed and 3.73:1 geared 8.8 rear.

Hopefully, by the end of this project, I will learn to weld worth a crap, cause so far I suck at it!! I'll get a lot of practice though, lol.
    00r0r_cQnZoT1OQX8_600x450.jpg 100_3336.JPG 100_3786.JPG 100_3789.JPG 00707_2yA3gr5mx1i_600x450.jpg 100_3860.JPG

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  5. By the way, I still have the 3 speed, the 7.25" rear and the 170 cu six if anybody close is needing those parts!

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

IMG_1150.JPG I put 4" x 3" x 0.120" steel the full length of my rocker channels in my '63 convertible (the convertible has a bigger inner rocker and the 4x3 slip-fit nicely). Spot welded on the tops and inside channels, fully welded on the bottoms and around the torque boxes. No need for added subframe connectors after that.

My junk is stuff likes this.
  7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Good idea shared with me by a fellow '63 convertible owner. Pay it forward.

9. can anyone tell me what is the difference between a 62 Ranchero rear bumper and a wagon rear bumper ,I have been told they will not interchange

10. btt

11. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

12. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Nice build right here, keep us posted on the progress.
    -Muncie

13. skipperman

skipperman

Quick question guys ....... will a 64 falcon Power Steering box be a BOLT-IN on a 65 ??? I know the ratios are different--I'm wondering about pitman arm, etc ...... sent my 65 Box to Chockostang for a rebuild and he said it was TOAST so I need a replacement QUICK ........
    Will the 64 box BOLT IN ???? HELP !!!!

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

63 and 64 V8 Falcons had unique boxes with 1 1/8" sector shafts (pitman shaft), compared to six cylinders and later V8s that had 1" shafts. There's really no such thing as a power box, only the pitman arms and the ratios are different.

On the other hand, it may just be worthwhile to have the old box rebuilt.

So, the answer is yes, if you have a six cylinder 64 box and not a V8 box. If you want to get creative, there are some later Mustang boxes with rag joints that you can use to eliminate your "spear of death", but that will take some fabrication to accomplish.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  15. skipperman

skipperman

so .. it would HAVE TO BE a 6 cyl box to fit ??? V8 is NO GOOD ?? The guy is gonna' send me the numbers on the tag ... I'll post here when I get them ... and THANKS brother !!!

loudbang likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the scratch, Borgeson makes integral power steering gearboxes, both sector sizes. A vast improvement over the hanky-janky Ford ram assist power steering.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Again got some time to work on my 63.5 hardtop, this time fabbing the new heavier spring mounts. Lot more to go, but I guess it's a start lol. 100_3922.JPG 100_3923.JPG 100_3917.JPG

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is no difference in the rear bumpers between Wagon and Ranchero, nor any of the passenger car bodies.

hudsonmand likes this.
  19. skipperman

skipperman

OK ... got the box tag numbers ....
    HCC AM1
    5D07B
    Looks to be a 65 MANUAL box with a 39" shaft I THINK ? ..... will it WORK on my POWER STEERING set up ?? (original PS box shows as a 40" shaft ) ...... :eek:

...... thanks boys, Skip

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The manual box has (I think) a 20:1 ratio and the power box has 16:1. I'd say putting a manual box with power steering is going to result in some loosey-goosey steering.

21. thanks for info

need louvers ? likes this.
  22. Steering box tag decoder here:
    http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html

HCC AM1 is a manual box 39" shaft

loudbang likes this.
  23. Got some more work done this weekend. Got the new rear torque boxes welded in and tied them to the rear frame rails. Also fit up the narrowed 8.8 rear on the mono leafs. Almost felt like progress! Still, more welding, grinding, wire wheeling, etc....

Attached Files:

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  24. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Are you going to install a cage? What ya going to run for a power plant? Transmission?

25. I have not planned on a cage, but you never know.
    So far just a roller cam 5.0 with the same treatment as the hotrod $350 junkyard motor, although I would also like to move it up to a 347 in a couple of years assuming I don't break it first. Trans T-10 close ratio four speed, and rear is a Ford 8.8 with 3.73:1 gears and a trac lok. Disc brakes all around with the old four piston Kelsey Hayes style front calipers. I'll probably be real lucky if I get it into the 12's with this recipe, so I don't think I need a cage just yet, although safer is safer if that makes any sense. One thing I do want to do is upgrade to a colapsable steering column as soon as I can. I figure a head on is more likely than a roll over on the street.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Nice build. Our ranchero has close to the same treatment. 5.0l roller C4. Scored a 9" out of a 57 fairlane cheap. Rebuilt it with a trac lock and 3.50 gears. Did the explorer disc brake conversion found here on the Hamb. We to are looking into the 347 world. However we get all kinds of rear tire smoke with the current set up.
    Good luck with your build!!! Have fun!!
    Gammz

loudbang likes this.
  27. Sounds good, I got the 5.0 and 8.8 out of a 2000 Mountaineer and was able to see/hear the engine run before I bought it. It should be ok for a while although I was gonna put a new oil pump, timing chain etc in it just in case. I went with the mini tub on my 63.5 hardtop, with that I should be able to put 295/50-15's out back. What are you running for rear suspension and tire size? As light as these are, your Ranchero ought to really get it on, btw, I like you video's, real cool :) If you have not done the mini tub yet, that might really help with your traction.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I think I have 215/65r15 on 15x7 wheels.
    Yeah a mini tub and spring relocation are in the near future. Still running leaf springs with slapper bars.

loudbang likes this.
  29. That's about the size of tire I had on my old 69 Mustang with a 351W/4spd and it was pretty much the same thing.... smoke em if ya got em.
    Well, I can't really tell ya how well it will work, but I'm going with the split mono leaf springs and home made version of the Caltrac traction bar set up.
    Keep having fun!

Gammz likes this.
  30. skipperman

skipperman

Installed the manual box but something is HITTING HARD on left hand turn GREATLY REDUCING left turn radius ... are the pitman arms the same on the 65 Manual box and the 65 POWER box as far as pitman arm DROP ??? Seems the control valve is hitting on something ?? ( can't put it the air yet until the lift is free) .... any IDEAS ???