Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. I know it's most likely overkill, but, run a good quality LARGE fuel filter between the tank and the pump. I run an extra filter between the pump and carb in my...uhmmm...jun...cra...STUFF.

timmy2times likes this.
  2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Wow Bruce, that new rear panel looks great

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  3. image.jpg :) Got these and one more 15" wheel today. Also got an extra LZ coil and condensers for a spare. I just couldent get the intake that I went for. The guy I know that can spin up and tune flatty distributors knows nothing about the LZ converts so he didn't want to touch it.:( This guy has 25 rare flatty intakes and has both a edelbrock regular and a slingshot. Tried to trade my edelbrock 4-2 intake plus cash and he wouldent budge. He just put the hole collect on eBay last month he said and it bid up to 6000 something. But no where his reserve. Just another wall hanger, starting to think flathead speed parts were not made for cars, the stuff must have been made to hang on walls. image.jpg

4. image.jpg The rods showed up on Friday. So as parts go for motor here's what I got going on. ARP Main bearing studs, connecting rod nuts, and head studs. Main and connecting rods bearings are made by king. Cam bearings are dura bond. Because I chose to use ARP main bearing studs the block has to be aline bored. The torque is higher with arp studs so at their torque over fords it distorts the bearing surface. I have not figured out what I'm going to do as far as heads and intake. The regular intake that is in the hamb classifieds has been worked over alittle to much for my liking. It has two vacuum ports drilled out into two runners and it looks like someone hit the bolt hole surface with a mill. The machine shop sold me a 4" merc crank core for 180 bucks plus the machine work to size the bearings. So merc 4" crank, ford nos 8ba rods, Ross pistons with metric rings,1.5-1.5-3.0. Potvin cam 3/8s adjustable Johnstons 1.6 stainless valves with one piece guides. Lincoln zephyr springs. Lightened flywheel, and the block is bored to 3-3/8. Ported and relived 286 cubic inches with a 40 side shift trans with Lincoln 25 teeth gears back to a 40 rear end with 3.78 gears. Should be all hotrod there... I can't wait working hard on her. The rods are warped up in cosmolean that stuff is sticky icky yuck.

5. image.jpg Will work for auburn dash.

timmy2times, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  6. image.jpg image.jpg Is it rare for a original roadster to still have pretty nice original door sills.?:D

timmy2times, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  7. image.jpg I'm messing around with the transmission shift forks and steering coloume. The top forks are 40 ford and the bottoms are Lincoln, as you can see the Lincoln's are longer. I'm doing some r&d to see if there's an advantage to the longer Lincoln's or if I'm going in reverse here and it makes it not shift right. We will see

8. It looks to me like the advantage goes to the '40 shifter forks.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  9. image.jpg image.jpg
    Yep ford shift forks it will be, seems the Lincoln forks need a longer throw to seat in the gear. Here's a few pictures

Stogy likes this.
  10. image.jpg I also switched out the new repo shift knob with an old crusty one I had extra. Much better plus its round for better shift grip...:rolleyes:

11. This is looking better by the day.....Sure wish I had some of the parts you are looking for as I would box them up and send them on the way to you. Nice job on the rear pan.

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  12. image.png Is this the intake you're looking for?

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No, this is...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467605004.328724.jpg

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I love the 4 carb setup, but the thickstun edelbrock setup is the right one

15. Yep I'm looking for a regular or original sling shot. I have a edelbrock 4-2 just like the one cactus posted but it's got two many carbs. I'm gonna end up with a super duel with off set generator because I can't get one of the others. It should be ok till I find one down the long hoarder road. The guy that is building and tuning up a original crab flatty distributor for me for the break in of the motor has one of each but not for sale just wall hangers. Of course...

16. Also I offered him my four pot set up plus 600 bucks and he still said no. He is going to relist his intake collection on eBay again soon he said. Oh well

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I migth be wrong here and feel free to correct me, but;

View attachment 3263300
    Thickstun (thickstun/Edelbrock?)

View attachment 3263301
    Edelbrock Slingshot

Or em I just being a pain in someone's arse right now?

Wasn't there a story in the big Edelbrock book about the foundry and Vic senior? He came in and saw them casting similar, but different, intakes too his, took a sledge hammer and went to town. Took all the moulds and his intake with him and went some were else?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Some isn't working for me.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467635125.142822.jpg
    Thickstun (thickstun/Edelbrock)/Edelbrock regular

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467635159.045765.jpg
    Edelbrock slingshot

19. Oh ok sorry I saw that and thought of this thread. Thought I'd better say something quick! As you were!

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

There is a local guy here with a PM7 for sale. Looks nice has a couple carbs and was $700 last time I saw it at a swap. Pm me if you want me to find out his contact info.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. image.jpg image.jpg Going through my boxes of nos stuff and found some nos Lincoln v-12 springs and a new/old fuel pump that features the rockerlink. It's a one piece rocker arm. Should work good with the motor it can handle the 445 horsepower and up to 8000 rpm I should have....:rolleyes:

22. Thanks dumprat, but I'm really looking for edelbrock. I'm trying to keep the recreation as close to grandpas car. For now I'm just going to use a super duel with an off set generator, and two stromberg 48s. I can't wait or stress out anymore over intakes I see hanging on people's walls and they won't sale them for a part of hotrod history like this. At this point I just have to use what I got and what I can get now. Grandpa is 86 today it's his birthday. July 4th 1930. So as you can see I just got to finish it here in a month or so plus have it ready for the trog. He already got his hotel room and tickets for trog so failure is not an option. Get-R-Gone!!!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 and Finn Jensen like this.
  23. image.jpg Have ever kissed a rabbit between the ears?????

timmy2times likes this.
  24. image.jpg image.jpg Also I guess I need to switch out the side shift trans throw out clutch shaft for an earlier one to use my nos 32 clutch arm.

25. Anybody got a 39 and under clutch release shaft that's good and not worn out at the bushing areas????? I could really use one. Thanks y'ally'all

26. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

As soon as you stop looking and stressing over parts, they'll start falling from the sky.

27. I have kissed a rabbit between the ears as I raised rabbits as a kid back in the days.....So I know just what you are talking about. I just wanted to wish your Grand Dad a very, very HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
    I am sure he is so proud of what you are doing with this build.
    We are all pulling for you and him to make the TROG. Sure wish I could be there to see this in person.

volvobrynk and greaser like this.
  28. volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  29. Oh shoot hold the happy birth days i just got done talking to my aunt and she said his birthday is July 9th. I guess I always thought it was on the forth since that's when go down to hang out and wish him a happy birthday. Damn I feel dumb.:confused:

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467685781.618589.jpg
    For sale by Flat Power but...