Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Evapo rust in rear differential?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fafaniruzik, Jul 3, 2016.

1. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

Had anyone ever put evaporust in their rear end ? Will it cause damage? I picked up a rear end with light surface rust. Works great but want to prevent future problems. Was planning on filling it with evapo rust and letting it soak overnight? Was wondering if it would do more harm than good

2. Ole don

Ole don

I would just flush it with a solvent. When crud gets loosened, it must be flushed really well to get it out of the bearings. After you are convinced its all clean, put some 90-140 in it and turn things upside down and end for end to coat what you just cleaned. When you are ready to use it, the same 90/140 should work. If its noisy, add a whole banana, peel and all, but cut off the hard tips. The addition of the banana and its oil can work wonders in a noisy rear end.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ole don, being a Minnesota guy myself, I have to ask : Did you work on Lake street in the fifties and sixties?:D

To the OP : The Evaporust won't hurt if properly flushed out afterward and might even do some good. I think Ole don probably has the right procedure. I'm not so sure about the banana, though. (Insert appropriate monkey joke here.)

4. Well the banana sounds better than the old hamburger trick.You won't have a pack of dogs following you down the street:D.
    Edit,I'd be concerned about not getting everything flushed out without disassembly of the rear.

5. Banana peel? Are you serious???!!! :confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The banana thing isn't as weird as it sounds. I got 2 years out of a Teton dam flood victim '51 Chev pickup axle with a mixture of 1 banana, a can of STP, & half a box of corn flakes. Stirred it all together in the cover, stuck it in the freezer until it solidified, Permatexed the old gasket, & plopped it on.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Yeah!? That ain't nothing. I put a cup of sawdust, a bag of rubber bands and some sperm whale oil in one one time. Didn't get out of the drive way!!! :p:D

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

8. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

These are probably the best answers I've ever heard. If the evaporust fails me. Maybe I'll just have a really cool meat grinder.

Montana1 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I though everyone knew about banana peels to fix noisy rear ends. Huh.

31Vicky with a hemi and Montana1 like this.
  10. southerncad

southerncad

Another fix for a noisy rear end, is to just turn the radio up louder;)

Max Gearhead and Montana1 like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Hence the term "to peal out!"

Montana1 and hidez57 like this.
  12. i don't think the Evaporust will hurt anything. i soaked the whole pumpkin/chunk/whatever you call it of the 8" ford rear in my `30 coupe in it to de-rust it the outside. it came out fine. a new pinion seal and i was good to go

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You would be wasting your money though evapo rust contaminates pretty ez then it doesn't work and I would also take longer to do a job than overnight probably

Best luck I have had with the stuff is clean the grease off and wire wheel/brush as much rust off you can then let it do the finish cleaning

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While this may be so in some cases. I would generally disagree with it.

Also, there are other products that come concentrated (Rust 911 is one). These are cheaper and seem to work just as well. There were a couple of threads illustrating this on the Ford Barn.