Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this set of wide fives worth?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fire Fox, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I'm going to go back and measure them, they appear to be in great condition, they have different caps on them but that's not a issue to me. She's asking $65/ea but I know she'll take less, just checking because I've never bought a set. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467485350.916456.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467485366.164352.jpg

2. Moondog13

Moondog13

Is it a complete set or just a pair?

3. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

It's a complete set of four

4. CME1

CME1

I have seen the wheels in this condition for $25 to $50 dollars ea. Most did not have hub caps. But that's not a bad buy.

5. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I figured there was a big price range on them depending on size and condition. Thanks!

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was building a project with them, I put out the word that I was looking.

They started showing up, unannounced on the doorstep of my shop.

As has been said, it will depend on condition. Avoid any with heavy pitting. They are not rare enough to justify repairing.

Fire Fox likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, if any of them are 18" in diameter, pay the asking price. Keep the stupid smile off of you face until you get home.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Haven't ever had to pay for them. Nobody ran them until a few years ago.

Fire Fox likes this.
  9. The one in top picture is a '38 Standard and pickup cap. The other cap shown is a '39 Deluxe.

Fire Fox likes this.
  10. what 302GMC said.....more around than those that wants.....

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

There's three for $75 on my local Craigsluts...

Fire Fox likes this.
  12. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

yeah, and I can't find any up here . they were all thrown away. does anybody make a wheel like these ( artillery type) with a more modern center so that they would bolt on to a 9" ford, but with the hub cap on look like a stock 36-38 wheel ?

13. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I bought a damn near perfect set this past spring at the big swap meet in Charlotte, NC for $100.

Fire Fox likes this.
  14. It's like anything, If they look good and you need them, NOW you just pay the price you need to pay. I would think $40 each would be a average price at a swap meet. That would be with no caps or trim rings, you are getting the caps and rings so $50 each would be ok. Even with the caps mismatched you still get them, use them on the wall or for trading later. Just a thought.....I had a hard time getting rid of one for $5 this spring and it was in good shape! I just did not need it and guess no one else did either.

15. doliak

doliak

I've got a ton of caps and bunches of wheels I've never given more than $15 for any single wheel or cap. Usually they are $5-10

Sent from my SM-G935V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fire Fox likes this.
  16. I bought four n.o.s. ones for $30 each not too long ago, check the lug holes, valve stem hole, and for pitting. All of the hubcap clips are a big plus. I think the old 16 inch trim rings are a plus, even though they are mismatched

Fire Fox likes this.
  17. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a complete set of Five (the spare as well) off of a 36 Cabriolet in near perfect condition with little to no pitting, all the clips in tact on four of them and five realy good shape beauty rings for $100 three years ago.
    But if you need them, I think they are a good price.

Fire Fox likes this.
  18. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Thanks guys, I don't necessarily need them but I hate to find good NOS parts and not picking them up unless they are ridiculously priced.

19. I've got a pair of adapters to bolt wide 5s to a 4.5" ford bolt pattern. PM me if interested......

20. Budget36

Budget36

Those are artillery wheels, and generally go (in good shape) for 50-up on the Fordbarn..yes caps are mis matched, but outer rings look the same...if I needed,wanted them, I'd not be lowballing on her asking price.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did they make a narrow one for the V8-60 powered cars or was just in 1940? Bob

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The V/8 60 wheels were 3 1/2", they work well with the "Ribs". IMG_0979.JPG

Fire Fox and embyman68 like this.
  23. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Rocky, thanks for the offer, but I already have a set of adapters. I was hoping some one made an artillery 36-39 style wheel with a modern center so I could get away from the adapters.

24. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Got to get over to Budget's house and fill the front yard with "Artillery" wheels and check if he will give me a non lowball offer. Ford used those wheels for four years which still makes them like bellybuttons. If we count those wider ones used on trucks and the decades of use on race cars, now we have something! One of the shortcomings of an open forum? No!, not me, those other guys. Good luck: Fred A

25. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

FYI, regardless of the source for wide five wheels, measure the lateral runout..... I had four really nice wheels that I bought, five off of my 39 and five more from a frame that I purchased..... 14 wheels in all. Fortunately, we found 4 with minimum lateral runout to use. Two of the really nice looking wheels had tons of lateral runout. I realize that measuring runout before buying is a pain so pay with the assumption that they will wobble.

Fire Fox likes this.