Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffd1988, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

So, to recap so far:

Porters!
    No, Smithys!
    Mellowtones!
    No, Walkers!
    Magnaflows!
    No! Thrush!

etc

2. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Flow masters?
    40 sieries? May be a bit to rumbleish or delta 50 sieries? The lower the number on these the louder they are.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Trouble is, you won't know until you install some. My experience has been mufflers that sound good on one car may not please your ear on your car. Took three different mufflers on my 40 to please me.

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

You mean like these?;)
    [​IMG]

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Muttley

Muttley

I have a pair of Powerstick's on my Comet, it sounds great.

flatheadpete likes this.
  6. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

? I never heard of this lol

7. I don't see a zerk fitting on them Muffler Bearings
    Speed Gems!
    I have the Teflon ones, Been using them for Years.!

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home.!

8. My brother gave me a set of 12" Cherry Bombs and I installed them on my Flathead.
    It was pretty bad, didn't sound to good, just loud.
    Ordered some Brockman Mellow Tones 24" (not steel packed).
    Brock will make them the way you want.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. There are a lot of factors involved when it comes to the difference between a great sounding set of pipes and just a loud or the loudest pipes around.
    I ran glass packs on both the 48 and my old 51 Merc that had a 350 Olds in it at the time and back in the CB radio days I often got hailed and given a compliment on the great sounding pipes going down the road. Both had full exhaust clear out the back with 2-1/4 inch pipes. Neither was annoying on the road and both had trips from Washington State to Central Texas on them with open windows and no AC to deaden the sound. Both sounded pretty good if you rapped the pipes too.

Had burned out glass packs and pipes that exited in front of the wheels on my OT truck for years and it was just loud and annoying and would tire you out on a road trip. It got Turbos of some sort and pipes to the back corners of the bumper and life is good with that one now.

I'm going glass packs on the 48 and the Model A as I want both to sound like what I remember from the 50s and 60s when you heard a great set of pipes an not a 70's street machine.

10. I run Glass packs on my Merc/sbc pipes all the way to the Rear Bumper
    and everybody tell's me it sounds Goood
    they are giving me the Thumb's up
    Back in the Day I ran Smittys, I ran a 57 olds J2 engine in the Merc!
    that was Load
    I took them off after awhile
    Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home!

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

You need to tell us what these mufflers are going on. A flathead powered Model A? A small block Chevy powered '40 Ford? A blown big block in a T bucket? Or an SBC in your avatar truck. They all call for different exhaust treatments.
    My Model A tudor had a SBC with a small cam and got Smitty's glass packs. It sounded perfect.
    My F100 with a mild 302 actually has 4 cheap turbo mufflers on it to make it sound right.
    My '56 Chevy just got Walker Sound FX mufflers - it sounds weird. I think the 2 1/2" system is too big for the wimpy motor. Gonna change it. (the wimpy motor that is) My step-son's El Camino sounds great with them but he has more motor.
    In my opinion, Flowmasters are better suited to the muscle car and wannabe street racer crowd. Especially the 40 and 50 series.

12. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

My parts guys just laugh when I ask for muffler bearings, now I have a picture to show them! lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I ditched my Cherry Bombs a couple of months ago and went with Dynomax 20" ovals. I'm very happy, I can talk in the car now. Quiet around town, had a nice roar when I stick my foot through the firewall.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I ran all new exhaust on my '50 Ford with a 302. 2 1/4" Powerstick mufflers. Sounds great and they're made in Michigan!

hotrodharry2 and Muttley like this.
  15. Muttley

Muttley

Right on, I'm really happy with my set too.

16. GLASS PACKS AND EAR PLUGS

BRAPPPPPPPPPPPP POP POP POP POP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have installed the hushpower ones for folks and they sounded good

17. image.jpeg I run resonators(not mufflers) from a high dollar NISSAN sports car that are stainless and they flow great and are not loud but look thru them and they look straight thru with minimal baffles but sound very nice.Not loud but MELLOW! Flatheads Forever!

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

dual straight pipes, no mufflers on my Y block

19. Mufflers ??????:confused:

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Kook's race mufflers (only thing that would fit). Haven't fired it yet, but might be louder than stock.
    [​IMG]

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Of course! Better is Chrysler imperial from mid 60's..

22. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I've got Porters and long pipes out the back. Cutouts just in case it wasn't rumbling enough!
    IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0780.JPG

23. Kenny P

Kenny P

An exhaust thread, and only one video?
    Lets hear 'em!!!

24. stimpy

stimpy

in order to get a flow master to sound nice is one you have to have a crossover pipe 3/4the size of the mian pipes abut 24-36" back from the header end , and then put the muffler as far back as possible . I run 3" duals on my BBC with 2 chamber flowmaster deltas on a pick up and when done this way it doesnt drum and not annoying for long trips the mufflers are right infront of the axle and the exaust is side exit behind the wheel with a slashed tip ( which also helps ) I had oval megaphones on it and it actually made it sound better but flattened out the exhaust note like a fish tail . ( made a thocking sound vs a pop ) but he best I have had was the old Maremont corvair turbo mufflers , nice deep rumble out the pipe . not in the car .