Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Hello! I'm new to the HAMB. I currently am working on a 4" section on my 1954 DeSoto Firedome. It was a 4 door car when I bought it. If anyone has any tips on sectioning please comment or share photos. Thank you. 20151221_185112.jpg

2. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I also am not sure how this board works. Please let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

So far, so good. Post more pictures?

volvobrynk and rytang like this.
  4. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

FB_IMG_1442891958811.jpg This is the day I drove it home. Cut the roof off a few days later.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're doing fine.

Measure 896-times, cut once.

6. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I usually measure for a few days before I cut lol.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two rows of 2" tape, inside and out.

8. I'll pitch in. I'm guessing the actual project car is the one with the panel paint job not the one in yellow seal coat. All those Krazzy lines and colors take away from the actual body shape so it's a little confusing to just look at. What I learned early on is to do a lot of lay out. The firewall is often the hardest part in a heavy section job. Also just sit in the Car and look around. Drop the front seat the 4 inches your thinking about. Where is that steering column going? What about the brake pedal? 4 inches is a lot. To do a section job well you need to locate the widest part of each body panel. That should be the center of your 4 inch section. Doors often don't need a center cut. You may be able to just raise the inner door structure and cut the 4 inches off the bottom of door skin. Do NOT lap your body panels unless you just plane to become a sculpter with Body Man in a Can. I hate that Shit! Plan how your going to access behind your rear wheel house. Often I totally remove them at the spot welds and reinstall after doing the Quarter seam. Deck lids can be a real Blister. Dropping the headlights 4 inches is going to put them right in the Grill opening. What are you going to do about that? Without a doubt there is a lot more to it than I just brought up. How far ahead of me are you?
    The Wizzard

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Huevos grande ... Welcome & good luck. Thought about making the doors about 6'' longer ?

slv63 and rytang like this.
  10. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

The photo with the crazy paint job is the day I bought the car. The photo in primer is the same car, just after I did a ton to it. I've already started the section. As far as front end and headlights, im going to reshape it all.

11. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I've thought about it... But I kinda like them. I think after taking 4" out of the doors they will look cool. If they don't, I'll just weld em shut too!

12. 4 inches off just the bottom of the front fender will just about line up the horizontal fender line with the Quarter line above the rear wheel well. Is it staying Top Less?
    The Wizzard

Roadsir likes this.
  13. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I'm not sure which route I'm going for the fenders... I definitely think cutting 4 off the bottom would be easy, but then the wheel opening would be so low. I've even thought about changing the openings front and back.

14. Welcome to the HAMB, watching!

15. chriseakin

chriseakin

I know there is a book somewhere on how to chop tops and section bodies. Measure and find the centre section where if you cut it out, the top and bottom will meet. I remember on the dream truck, they released the door skins from the bottom part of the door so they didn't have to cut and weld the skin, just trimmed off the bottom to fit the cut door frame. Maybe you could tack some pieces of tubing on inside, cut out the middle then use solid pieces through the middle, kind of like hinge pins, to keep the top and bottom pieces lined up.
    I've never done it, but if you can turn a four-door into a two-door, you can pull off a section.

volvobrynk and belair like this.
  16. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Making it a 2 door was easy! I just welded them shut lol. Actually it was a lot of work. I've seen doors done that way on monster garage. I'd much rather do that than cut the entire door in half. I've never done it before either.

17. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! My advice is to "photochop" the car first. The way I do it is to take a couple of side photos perpendicular to the car with my digital camera, print some paper copies then get out the scissors and tape. Before taking pictures I "grid" the car vertically and horizontally in 1" increments so I'll know exactly how much metal to take off. Best of luck with your project.

18. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

19. I think '54 Desotos are good looking cars. I'm looking forward to how yours comes out. I might suggest lengthening the front doors....I'm betting after it's sectioned, those skinny 4dr front doors are going to look pretty short.

Several years ago I took one of Gene Winfield's metal classes and we sectioned a '58 Impala. Gene's plan was to section 4 inches. When asked why 4" he said because it's a lot of work and if you are going to section a car, 4" is his minimum so everyone can tell it's been sectioned. LOL. Fun weekend, I learned a lot. We did the doors just as was described above....released the skin from the inner structure on the bottom half of the door, sectioned the inner structure then cut the 4" off the bottom of the outer skin and attached the skin back to the inner structure. Very easy (so much as sectioning is easy), especially when there is no body line down the middle of the door.

20. john walker

john walker

Here, hold my beer and watch this!

chryslerfan55, LeoH, Mikel50 and 3 others like this.
  21. First thing I thought when I looked at it too.

Graham Hood, chryslerfan55 and rytang like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad I found this build, good luck, please post lots of progress photos. Bob

rytang likes this.
  23. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

20160527_153821.jpg
    The long cuts made

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  24. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

20160527_173432.jpg
    Lifted in the air. Made final cuts and grinding easy.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    TCATTC, chryslerfan55, j-jock and 6 others like this.
  25. Welcome to the HAMB I will be watching Hobo Jim

chryslerfan55 and rytang like this.
  26. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you! I'm not sure how it works yet... But every time I searched something, it brought me to the HAMB... So I figured I'd give it a shot. Let people see what I'm building in my little garage all alone.

27. There is a ton of knowledge here just have to weed through some stuff there are a lot of cool builds going on and the Alliance membership is a Great value check out the vendor list for discounts. I am building a 37 Plymouth I love the odd builds looking forward to yours. Hobo Jim

chryslerfan55, volvobrynk and rytang like this.
  28. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

pretty committed there! I'll be watching to see what you come up with. looks good so far

29. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

No turning back now!! This is very cool. Keep us posted with lots of pics.

volvobrynk, mario711 and rytang like this.
  30. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

20160527_205854.jpg Lowered back down. Still have things to trim inside.