Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tuning a flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by zurawski, Jun 30, 2016.

1. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

I have a 1951 ford flathead and it's running great but I need some tuning help, if anyone has any tips or information it would be great. I would like to take it to a car show in 5 days. It has 3 stromberg 97s with progressive linkages.

2. JonF

JonF

The easy answer is to block off the 2 end carbs and run on the middle one.

3. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

But what about when I want them to open

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can use a blockoff plate at bases and install plugs in fuel lines to the outside carbs. Leave all the linkage hooked up as is. The base of a 97 is taller than the butterflys, so they will rotate with no interference. If you cut the block plates just smaller than the gasket you cant even see it. Just make sure the plate goes between the carb and gasket, not between the gasket and manifold and don't forget to plug the fuel lines (an allen head pipe plug or set screw will go in deep enough to hook your line back up the carb nipple) so your accelerator pump aint pumping fuel everytime you hit the throttle. Great thing is its all easily reversible, so you can dial in the 3 carb setup when you have more time.

5. Does it have the stock distributer?The loadamatic will not work well with 3 carbs.Tell us more about the engine.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

^^^^^What he said. If the loadamatic is in it those carbs will never work right.

7. Raunchy

Raunchy

If it's running great why would you want to do anything to it??

56shoebox, Flathead Dave and wbrw32 like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have three 97s with progressive linkage on a 8Ba that run nice. I much prefer them all running together on my application. Buy a vacuum tester that looks like this and use it to calibrate the carbs to be sure they are pulling the same. Have they ever ran well together or is this a new installation? Jet sizes? There are guys on here that know their Stromberg's.
    upload_2016-6-30_15-38-23.png

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it's running great don't be a sucker, leave it alone. If it is not running great tell us what is wrong and maybe someone will know what to do.

If you just want to keep it running great you could clean and adjust the spark plugs and points, check over the ignition, and let it go at that.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you must tinker (tamper) with things, do it now, leaving a 4-day 'safety net' to undo any wrongdoings before the show!
    Running good now...an improvement might be a 'bonanza', but a downturn would almost certainly result in frustration and disappointment.:cool:

I recently watched an old clip of Dr. Joyce Brothers. She was advising a young man determined to 'tune' a British car with dual carbs, a Triumph TR3...he was lost in the synchronizing of the 2, and became 'overheated', damn near threw a fit!
    Dr. Joyce was soothing, and had the right answer, as always...
    "Just try and find a good mechanic that 'understands'.
    ...and can fix multiple carburetor problems!"
    Good advice. :p

11. matter

matter

I worked in a foreign car shop as a kid, SU carbs on a TR-3 certainly try a mechanic's patience!
    Of course, so did watching Dr. Brothers...

12. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

It ran once it's new install and a regular points distributer I have adjustable main jets on all 3

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's running well so threat it like a sore dick, don't fuck with it...
    To really be safe you can trailer the car to the show....Now what fun would that be...

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

While you have the plugs out 'read' them and see how the mixture is. If they are light tan and burning nice leave the carbs alone.

15. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

I agree I will be checking the plugs and it is not running good it starts but I have to check somethings els out before I can leave it running I am just researching befor I start tuning