Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I saw one of those where the guy put a piece of rubber hose on it , and left the last one inch for using

That way it would not cut his fingers, pretty clever idea

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You got that right DND
    When I first started as a machinist, one of the old timers showed me this, I thought he was a genius. That little deburring tool really cut down on second operation steps.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat is currently working on getting the engine together, he is going to post pics. That should be interesting, especially to the inline crowd ! All this talk about scrapers, I keep mine (over 165) hung on the roof beam. IMG_2256.JPG IMG_2258.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32, Drewfus and 3 others like this.
  4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Those aren't scrapers, they're meat cleavers! Many smart ass comments to follow, I'm sure.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When Marty scrapes babbit, he doesnt mess around!:eek::D

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

look at the one with the long handle about 3/4 of the way over to the right. Looks like something that would have been used in Henry The Eighth 's time!:eek:

brad2v likes this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Looking forward too the inline stuff too, this thread is fantastic!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465919744.054486.jpg

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, Did those meat cleavers get your attention ? You guys can delete them or not, it's not a big deal to me, I am just glad to have all of you following this thread.

1947knuck likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I may not be saying much, but I am here pretty much every day. Cool stuff!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Please keep everything in this thread.......scrapers......cleavers......whatever. And I am REALLY waiting patiently for any and all thread content about getting the six banger to wail !!

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep keep it the way it is as it is way cool, looking forward to the six banger too

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

13. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

If you want to hear a six banger wail, Google Eagle Field '16, Iacono dragster, and/or Ganahl, and you'll see and hear a pretty cool clip of the engine at left doing what it's supposed to do. You'll also get a look at the color the T roadster will be.
    I'm going to Hilborn tomorrow to try to get some better carb linkage. Then I'll be posting some pics of some rare Chevy 12 port parts.
    Pat G.

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

15. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

No, that was last year with the (very) old slicks and 3.54 gears. I'm talking about this year with the new (safer) slicks and 4.18 gears in the Q.C. I didn't post it because I was afraid it was O/T.
    Pat

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Not O/T Pat! Post it!!!!

17. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

It's an Instagram flick (with great sound) taken from my F-100 push truck by Steve Pattee. It's available on the Rodder's Journal website, as well as on Bill's SouthCity Rod & Custom Instagram site. I've tried several ways to transfer it here, but I can't figure it out. Guess I'm too old. Can one of you techies figure it out?
    PG

18. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Gracias El Hueso. Yep, that's the one. And that's what makes all that work worth it!

Pat G. (aka "Boney")

kidcampbell71 and nitrobrother like this.
  19. That is so cool I'm just going to have to watch it over and over again. And again. And ...

20. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

wmd14.JPG wmd16.JPG How come things take three times longer than you think they will? Multi-tasking is part of it. But two weeks ago I said I would show you some rare Wayne Chevy 12-port parts, so here goes.
    This project started with the engine, which I got nearly 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure the owner's name was Earl Haskins, and he had it in a track roadster in the late '40s. He was from that group (Knight Riders) who had the Hallock-windshield roadsters in Fullerton. I got it from his widow, who had it in a garden shed (with the roadster) in her backyard. She didn't know details, but they had thrown a rod (I have pieces) and put a flathead V8 in the roadster.
    But they had gathered all the parts to rebuild the Chevy. It had a new '48 Hi-Torque block, fully drilled and polished pressure-oil crank, new GMC rods, new JE pistons with hand-cut domes, what I thought was a Spalding cam, Buick straight-8 rocker arms, Wayne sprint-style headers, finned valve and side covers, and a Wayne intake with three Stromberg BXOV-2 carbs with crude home-made linkage. The cast-iron head was bare, and had lots of brazing around the outside (no cracks in deck, chambers, or ports). The very early head and covers say "WMD 225." This stands for Western Mechanical Design, Wayne Horning's original company. With steel billet #2 & 3 main caps, aluminum rocker pedestals, and parts of a dual-coil Nash ignition, this six had all the good parts, identical to the Spaldings when they ran 3 carbs (HRM cover, Feb '50).
    After storing all this for years, I decided to assemble it, since everything was "new," to see if I could sell it. I gathered new rings, bearings, Cadillac flathead V8 NOS valves, NOS chilled iron lifters, gaskets, etc. With absolutely no interest from anyone in buying it, and my Iacono dragster finally getting done, I decided to build the Spalding Bros. car around it. Yes.
    I started by taking the head to Bob McKray to pressure test, fix any external cracks, install the Cad valves, and do his usual thing. You see photos.
    I should have taken a "before" photo of the carbs/intake. But Tom Taros (former Ike dragster owner) did a beautiful job rebuilding and rejetting the carbs for alcohol, and I am making new mounting plates and linkage with Hilborn parts.
    Next I took my cam to Isky's to have Ron check its specs, and it turned out to be who-knows-what with .225 lift and less duration. Ed thought there were none of these forged steel blanks left, but found a case the next day and Ron made the cam with a Z-25 grind. Thankfully I found the now-rare chilled-iron lifters it needs, along with new Zoom gears.
    Meanwhile McKray and I decided if I'm going to build and run this thing (I've joined WRA), we'd better put some better forged pistons in it, so they are on order now at Ross. You see one of the cast, full-skirt JEs in one photo.
    T wmd01.JPG wmd03.JPG wmd05.JPG wmd06.JPG wmd07.JPG wmd09.JPG wmd10.JPG he front cover I had cast from an original when I made the one for the Iacono GMC. I machined it myself as well as hand-cut all the gaskets you see, other than the custom head gasket. I've also acquired two Nash 12-plug, dual point distributors, but haven't decided how to make a Spalding-type ignition yet.
    I think that covers the following photos. Next stop is the chrome/polishing shop. Ask if you have questions.
    Cheers, Pat

Attached Files:

21. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

WOW!!! This just gets better and better and what a treat to be able to see these rare gems....even if it is in pictures.
    Thank You Pat and Thank You Marty - Such a great build.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Thanks Pat - great to see the old stuff that's going to power the new car!

Steve

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Boney, you have gone over the top here, and taken Marty with you! Spalding roadster will live again!
    A thousand thanks for your perseverance on the Iacano GMC dragster, finally I'll get to see it right here in my own back yard! (Eagle Field)
    Finally, to 'recap' your brave restoration of your '32 roadster: Perfection as usual...
    Don't stop!

24. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Fantastic......Words fail me......

25. rooman

rooman

"Ed thought there were none of these forged steel blanks left, but found a case the next day"

What a shock that Ed would have some old stuff laying around! :) :) :)

Roo

brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Kool stuff.

Gary

27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

20160409_145043.jpg
    Wow Pat,

There sure is a whole heap of differences between your original 15 bolt head's combustion chamber, and my raw casting of an 18 bolt head that was made by the latest iteration of Wayne Manufacturing Company.

I have an original valve cover and side plate and rebuilt Buick straight rockers
    I need a blueprint of the rocker supports, then I can take my setup to the machine shop.

I'm thinkingnof a Safford and Shores tribute Model A roadster.

28. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

20140306_162153.jpg
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but where else would 12 port guys go to wett their appetite.

As you can see, this valve cover has only one breather/filler hole.

Might it be a 1st generation Wayne cover, post the WMD 225 period?

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

20160629_081446.png
    This is the car I am referring to.

1947knuck and 302GMC like this.