Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Super Stock & AF/X front tire size/s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Jun 20, 2016.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

I'm interested in getting a rough idea on the front tire sizes used on mid-60's Super Stock and AF/X cars such as these Bill Ireland cars (one of my favorite drivers of this era). I can find nothing of this aspect ratio today so any help on recommendations for specific tire makes and models would be great. I want to run 15"ers but I think he was running 14"s in these pictures. Bottom line, I love tall tires!

Thanks,

- EM

Attached Files:

2. earlymopar

earlymopar

I should have mentioned that if possible, I would really prefer a radial tire but in a bias-ply tire appearance. I really like the Goodyear Super Cushion look.

- EM

3. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

Not much out there in radials that look like bias-plys. I too enjoy the look of a tall front tire. We run a '63 max wedge Plymouth in N/SS. In order to get the same look, we use Morosso 29" tall front runners. They're not very HAMB friendly, but work for our car. I have also purchased at least two pair of bias-ply fronts from Coker. They look great, but are a bit shorter (27"). They don't look too good on my big B-body cars.

Attached Files:

4. marfen

marfen
    from sask

6.70-15 BF Goodrich silvertowns look right on my SS and AFX. close to 28" tall for rollout advantage. Radials dunno. They ran tallest they could get in there w/o rubbing on 4" rims.
    Those don't look like 14s in the pics, definitely 15s and the mustang is fit with American magnesium 15 x 4. Moroso front runners showed up late 60s but are not a safe tire at all for street, very light, thin.
    Get on coker site and look for tire height and width, maybe they got a bias look radial that gets the look with the right height.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'm running 6.00-15s on mine, bias ply, they seem to be the right size. If you really need something taller, go to a 6.70 or something as mentioned. I chose the size I did because it fits well on a 4.5" wide rim.

[​IMG]

6. models916

models916

7. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks much for the info Frustration. Love your 63 and those fronts look very close.
    - EM

8. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yes, I had been looking at Coker already but will go back and spend some more time.
    - EM

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

Agreed Jim. 6.70s seem about right.

- EM

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

If the tech guys look at the speed rating it's an "S" good for 112mph. They look at that in LSR, maybe not in drag racing?

12. oj

oj

The tires for superstock were taller for a very good reason. They have what another called 'rollout', this rollout will give you a running start at the beams. The 'beams' are a set of 2 lights and when you light both of them with your front tire you are 'staged'. Super stock drivers quickly figured out if they had a tall tire it takes longer for the tire to break the beam and start the clocks, thye get a running start for a bigger MPH (the ET won't change but they could get the MPH record). Some classes prefer a smaller tire (like Squirrels') to start the clocks as soon as possible, for a while it was popular to run those teenytiny airplane front tires on dragsters. An old trick is to stagger the front end, an inch is allowed, so you set the beams by your rearmost front tire and trip the clocks at the other end with your frontmost tire. If you look close at an altered or dragster you can actually see this stagger.

13. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

Here is a photo of our '63 with the 6.70 x 15" tires you mentioned. There is also a youtube video showing the car running these tires two weeks ago. Search "Frustration at Cecil". Good luck. Tommy Front Cokers.JPG

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

Look great Tommy!

- EM

Frustration likes this.