Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ideas for customizing 59 Ford front end

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Adriatic Machine, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Face it, the 59 Ford front end is a special kind of ugly. Has anyone done or seen some decent enhancements? I've searched here and google and not seen much. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

It could be worse....

59_Edsel_Corsair_Conv_DV-07-MBA_01.jpg

:)

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I hope we get some good responses. The factory customized it so much, its hard to imagine what else could be done 59f.jpg

4. 'Mo

'Mo

This one was for sale on the HAMB. The drawer-pull grille is especially nice.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, desotot, Tim and 8 others like this.

5. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

That 2-door looks ood with the galaxy trim and birds on the rear end with small caps.
    But i like it

6. 504640

You can't go wrong with a tube grill in your 59.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  7. I think the grill in the red and white wagon is a 59 Buick.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. 'Mo

'Mo

9. Nicely done whatever it is.

10. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Good responses, thank you. I was hoping to see some custom fabrication work around the headlights and a swapped front bumper. The rest of the car is pretty bad ass, just an awkward face lol.

11. Polishing and detailing the stock grill will do wonders.... and some tribar or Lucas headlights are a very nice custom touch. Bumper swap? The most common one is a '57 Desoto, but how about '58 Edsel split front bumpers with a small 'roll pan' filler between them?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Adriatic Machine likes this.
  12. I'm going to touch up the black in mine and see how I like it. There is someone selling tube grilles on evilBay for about $469.

13. 'Mo

'Mo

Simply painting the headlight doors body color completely changes the look on this '59, giving a clean, custom appearance.

[​IMG]

As for the bumper, why not see if someone on the Photoshop thread can help you out, perhaps with a '59 Buick bumper?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  14. A bumper without those torpedo tube parking lights would help a great deal.
    I'm interested in this because I have one and have yet to come up with anything I like.
    So far its nosing the hood and a plain ol tube grill.

Cooon and Adriatic Machine like this.
  15. manyolcars

manyolcars

59f2.jpg
    Thank you. The Customs I remember from the 60s were all about removing chrome and smoothing the car so I was kind of on the fence about adding the Galaxie trim and skirts but I do like it. The birds had to go for that smooth look. My son liked them so I left them on while he drove the car to college in another state but since I am driving it now, I took them off. I like the idea of cutting the fins off and adding more metal to elevate the fins maybe 4 inches. Got Fins? Exaggerate them, right? It wont be like Bill Hines Bat but will give that Custom look without being excessive.

Lets see more Custom ideas for this car

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamber Tuck's Ranchero with DeSoto parts. Best looking '59 Ford front ever.
    59 Ranchero desoto grill.jpg

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

18. You could take some styling cues from the '59 Bird and come up with something pretty snazzy.

[​IMG]

19. The upper moustache trim and even the grille itself tie the front of the car together. The stock grille supports the splash panel. I like the Desoto treatment above which probably eliminates the splash panel.

20. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

@Phillips yes that Desoto set up is real nice. @'Mo I see what you mean, the painted bezel looks good.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  21. 'Mo

'Mo

themoose over at the Photoshop thread was nice enough to piece these together from Buick and Ford pictures I provided (plus his own tube grille). I'm sure he would have done better on his own, but Hey, he's working for free!
    (As do all the Photoshop wizards. Kudo, Guys!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

I really like the '57 DeSoto bumper on there but those bumpers are extremely hard to find in good condition.

How about a Packard Clipper front bumper? They're clean and straight and have neat Dagmar bullets like a Cadillac. I think it looks pretty good.

59-Ford_Fairlane-500_Skyliner-DV-08_GMG_01.jpg

23. This one has the lower front fender bumps smoothed out. I like the big opening but think a different grill might suit it better. I also think that eliminating the front bumper and flipping another upper lip so that it would have the trim all the way around the opening might look good.
    [​IMG]

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have to be honest, I don't dig this front end treatment at all. The opening looks disproportionately large, the grill choice isn't really well suited for this car and looks too tall in the opening, and the narrow bumper looks too thin and light to properly balance the "weight" of the front end. Pass.

Texas57 likes this.
  25. Looks Rambleresque....

hendelec likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

very much.

Neat thread, interesting to see how difficult it is to make some cars look good!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It really is. There is a very fine line between sucks, OK, nice, very good and superb.

Texas57 likes this.
  28. [​IMG]
    1959 Canadian-built Meteor front end??

29. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

30. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I like the smoothed out fender bumps and the low bumper.