Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Dadgum Rant......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jun 26, 2016.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sorry about the mixed up quote @56don
    Cripes @3wLarry, who needs the Guido brothers, we got you Larry.

kiwijeff, 56don and 3wLarry like this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Took me forever to make the jump over there, but afterI saw the commercial possibilities it was the clear path. Thing is, most guys think of FB and think of what they are told it is, female selfies and pictures of what women had for lunch. Truth is, what ever is posted comes from your group of friends, and most of my friends on FB are people that I have known for years from here. My FB feed is 80% hot rods, 15% political, and 5% cute animal vids... 'Cause I dig that sort of thing! It also operates in real time, which means that about 90% of local Phoenix hot rod stuff now runs through FB instead of here, so stuff happens much more spontaneously.

Anyway, I'm not trying to lure you away from here, just letting you know it's not the "fay" kinda thing that lots of us "older generation" guys think it is.

Back to the good stuff....
    Pete Eastwood was stylin' in his '15 depot hack...
    DSC07470.JPG DSC07473.JPG
    Every bit of weird old speed stuff you could think of was on the ground Saturday.
    DSC07477.JPG DSC07479.JPG DSC07481.JPG
    How often do you get to not only see an Offy in it's natural habitat, but Kurtis aluminum work too?
    DSC07483.JPG DSC07485.JPG

ALGON, Take me away!
    Sad thing? years ago we had a monthly swap here in Phoenix that was spectacular. My constant neighbor had one of these that he carried around for over a year for 200.00. I kept saying that I would buy it if I sold enough. One month I sold 195.00 worth, and he would come off 200.00... Long before EFI conversions, it would have been coffee table stuff.

DSC07486.JPG

Ever see a for real Carson top in it's original state? A rare look at how these things were built.
    DSC07488.JPG DSC07490.JPG

Lots cool old roundy round stuff out there this year. Lots of over head 'banger stuff too. DSC07494.JPG

This 'forty Standard was Scrump-dilly-ishouis! DSC07497.JPG

Full frontal... DSC07499.JPG

The early morning light sucked to photograph this thing though... DSC07498.JPG

kiwijeff, enloe, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  3. Dang !!! Young fuc#er pictures to the rescue. :) Great reset !

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The other thing I have to wonder.... I've personally been so busy the last year or two, that i haven't had the time to go to every single hot rod event like i used to. Last year, for the first time in almost thirty years I missed L.A.R.S., for example. Wish I was getting rich, but that push is just to keep the lights on and the mortgage fed... Can't help but wonder if others are in the same-o, same-o shape.

Like I said, roundy round stuff was thick....
    DSC07500.JPG

Stude! DSC07502.JPG DSC07501.JPG DSC07503.JPG

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! DSC07505.JPG

One half of the "Forever Fours" club display. DSC07506.JPG

Coby's Econoline DSC07509.JPG

Scandihoovian modern? DSC07510.JPG

Wish I'da never sold mine... DSC07513.JPG DSC07512.JPG

kiwijeff, Squablow, oldsjoe and 5 others like this.
  5. I try to post stuff when I get to a show or an event, which isn't as often as I'd like. 'Recently got on FB and usually I post the same stuff over there as here, figure maybe a slightly different audience. I'm thinking about dropping my FB account due to the constant barrage of political content. It's not that I don't follow politics and have an opinion; rather that the level of misinformation and outright partisan lies on there is overwhelming. I've also noticed that the level of knowledge about hot rodding, particularly "traditional" stuff is much, much better on here.

Y'all are right about the demise of good event coverage here...sure wish it would come back. And by the way, the pics on this thread are much appreciated. And while I have the floor, one more thing...Larry, hope you're on the way to recovery. Hang in there.

Malcolm, Stogy, volvobrynk and 5 others like this.
  6. Good luck with that,my brother in laws wife passed away last year and he has sent many request to FB pleading with them to delete her profile,no such luck. HRP

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Still more stuff...

This thing was cool on every level. Been looking at the Rod&Custom feature from '64 or '65 my entire life, never figured I'd see the real deal. DSC07515.JPG DSC07516.JPG DSC07517.JPG DSC07518.JPG DSC07519.JPG DSC07520.JPG DSC07529.JPG

Lotsa cool little projects for sale...Kinda glad I didn't drag my modified over to sell this year, as there was no shortage for sale... DSC07527.JPG

I am sooooooo not a custom guy, but this car was chopped by Bill Hines about 15 years ago, and has the nicest modified roofline I have ever seen. After a many year hiatus from L.A., it's back again.... The second photo is it in it's previous life in maroon base coat. DSC07523.JPG HinesShoebox04-vi.jpg

'Course there is always other things to occupy your thoughts at L.A.R.S. Being a Trumper-0-phile, there is always lots of 'em around. This one needed a slightly larger front wheel, but, damn. DSC07525.JPG DSC07533.JPG

kiwijeff, enloe, Squablow and 9 others like this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say it ain't so, ya flippin tease! I've been waiting for that moment in time ya know. The silly side of gasser madness can follow it.
    Any that are offended by the gasser comment, well...

9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Interesting. I don`t Facebook, but I started on Instagram at the beginning of the year. I really can say that all the positive photos that come in my feed are exciting. No complaining, just examples of cool stuff. I also post things that I have been doing in the shop, and they seem to be well received. And it really is easy and quick to do. The sniping that goes on here can get very wearing at times, and the Instagram feed does not have that. In fact it has made me more optimistic than I ever have been about the future of what I do. So many young guys are on those other sites, and they are really doing neat stuff. And if Fay Butler, Wray Schelin, Cole Foster, Bill Ganahl, etc, as well as some hugely talented guys I`d never heard of are posting........well, I`m okay with that, for sure......

Oh--and Chip---I didn`t make it to LARS this year either, but plan to celebrate a Birthday milestone next year by being there. And maybe the Roundup too. And maybe I will post pics.........Maybe they will only be on Instagram. Or if Larry complains enough, I`ll figure out how to put `em here...:D

missmuriel, Tim, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  10. BTW,ever notice Larry bitches about the lack of coverage,TROG,GNRS and LARS and magically the photos start to appear.

Just proves the old adage "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Thanks Larry. HRP

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man,that is one sweat ride, but that is about the smallest steering wheels I have ever seen on a driver. HRP

12. brady1929

brady1929

Git um Larry!

117harv and 3wLarry like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Ten, fifteen years ago, it was all so new and fresh....now we've seen almost all of it before, so there is not so much motivation to post pics of (mostly) the same cars yet again.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

posting pictures here gets old after a while. I had a photobucket account with thousands of pictures that I had posted here over the years, now they are all red X's. before they changed how photos get loaded here it was a major project, you need to resize them, load them to photo bucket and load them up. after 2 hours of doing all that, you had to come back and bump them to the top over and over, or your efforts would only be seen by 100 people.

there used to be 4 of us who posted pics from the S.F. Bay Area shows, now there is no one. I just kind of got burned out on photography all together. I can't even remember the last time I brought my camera to a show. must be getting old and slowing down.

3wLarry likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live local and the show and day just isn't what it once was. I know the area has changed and things have moved but it once could be covered with ease but not so anymore. Highlight of the day is now breakfast at Flo's at the Chino Airport instead of the begining of the day. The guys I go with decided this was the last one...

missmuriel likes this.
  16. slammed

slammed

Yep on the FB. I see Dennis McPhails art updates, Cole's neat stuff & very attractive Island girl, Nad's folks post car, bands & crazy stuff daily. The old guard has a place there. This place lost al lot of event coverage of the gatherings that where the reason THIS place was born. The grown up part now has a handful of daily 'gate keeps' that steer thing their way. Their way. So it's a few minutes here and back to over there. I hear you Larry.........the coverages are not like they once were......

3wLarry and need louvers ? like this.
  17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Larry, hope this is brightening your day a bit. Get to feelin' better soon!

This one is a bit self serving. After GNRS in '14, Dave Benes called out of the blue and told me he had unsuccessfully stalked me all weekend. His purpose was to ask me about louvering the hood and deck for his on going '49 Merc project. A week later, he drove the hood and deck over from Arcadia California, and turned around and headed home. After cover louvering the hood and deck here, I have posted this car many times in black primer, good to see it painted. DSC07537.JPG

Four rows per side. I angled them to match the back edge of the hood, meaning that each is tipped on centerline. A slight amount of "ray" drawn into the pattern keeps the dreaded "Rows look wider at the front than at the back" optical illusion at bay... Lots of time in layout on this one... DSC07536.JPG

The deck lid also had the same details applied. The pattern at the front shares the exact same spacing as the back edge of the hood, which means the louvers when viewed from above flow from the front to the back cohesively. At the back of the deck, the pattern tapers to match the outside dimensions of the deck lid... Oh, and the vents are tipped so they match side to side as well, so ya look at them from the side and they line up too, even compensating for the compound curves of the decklid... DSC07540.JPG

Kinda like this... DSC07538.JPG

Enough commercials!
    My buddy Ronnie brought his cute little Modified over for the show. DSC07545.JPG

This is friend Brian Bauer's car. ElPolacko accuses me of filming the same three cars every year, and he is right! This happens to be one of them... Debbie and Dennis Kyle's deuce is another. Pay attention, 'cause five minutes later something happened involving this car that was pretty cool. DSC07544.JPG

Moments after shooting my yearly shot of Brian's car, I found myself inside building #4 in front of ElPolacko's first "Big Boy", inside, actual dealer space! Busy as hell, I had to wait with my congrats, and standing out side the booth, I stuck up a conversation with an older gent that was also waiting to see Steve.

The gent's name is Keith Young, and he was looking for some chassis parts for a '29 on '32 rails he was putting together, powered by a Wayne headed Chevy six... SAY NO MORE! Ya got pictures? Heck yes he did! A bit more discussion revealed the fact that Kieth had been collecting Wayne Chevy heads since the mid fifties, when the intro of the small block made them obsolete over night. Let's just say he has several.... More discussion revealed that Kieth has a '39 Chevy coupe with a Wayne headed six that I have lusted after since the April '92 Rod&Custom when it was featured, and that the Wayne headed six in the '29 on '32 rails project came directly from the Safford & Shores drag roadster when it was parted in '59 or so.

At this point, I'm standing there slack jawed, and Kieth is sort of staring at me, wondering what the hell is wrong with his new found acquaintance... His next statement was something to the effect of "That was a cool little race car, wonder what happened to the rest of it". My response? I just snapped a picture of it out side in the show! Yup, Brian Bauer's little orange car above IS the former Safford & Shores drag roadster from the '50s!!! Stuff that only happens at roadster show!!! DSC07551.JPG

After playing salesman a bit at Steve and Joel's booth for a bit, I wandered back into the heat (it was 104 at that point, and Pomona was dying... For this Arizonan, it was pretty much just what we would call "Tuesday") the first thing to catch my eye was Danny Zank's old red, Larry Bragga built '29... Still one of the best in my book. DSC07555.JPG

kiwijeff, enloe, oldsjoe and 8 others like this.
  18. slammed

slammed

PS that dose of vintage tin from the AZ fella was what the doctor ordered (ZING, beaches'!!) Larry, lock-n-load! Let's put the dump back on track!!

3wLarry likes this.
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Maybe the "Bitchy wheel get's the grease?"! Sorry Larry, effective is effective!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've resisted the FB thing for two reasons; 1, My wife, kids and even my Mom can't put their freakin' phones down. Every few minutes it's, "Awww, look at this". Sh!t. They are obsessed. and 2, even though I don't have an account my Mom, sister, brother and even my wife have received contacts from some of my old GFs and I sure don't want that pot stirred!
    At the rate things change these days, I won't be surprised if we get a Dear John post from Ryan saying it was nice but no longer viable. I hope not but like I said, things change. Media changes and people's interests change.
    I guess I haven't figured out how to take good digital pictures - I've had 3 nice digital cameras and for some reason my pics at shows are not something I would proudly post. Chrome and shiny seem to confuse my camera. (and me)
    Thanks to all who do post event coverage, and thanks to 3W for starting this conversation and getting some nice photos posted.
    Get well soon Larry!

oldsjoe, 3wLarry and need louvers ? like this.
  21. Rand Man

Rand Man

I agree, it has been slow here lately. I don't really have a lot to contribute right now. Nothing car-related going on around here. All work and no play make Randy a dull boy.

For those that can post some coverage, please do!!!

It is very much appreciated!!!

need louvers ? and 3wLarry like this.
  22. Can't speak for others, but I only went on Sunday (too busy working on the new car to have it done in time for SEMA), and it was so freakin hot that most of the time I have at least one drink in my hands, if not two, and couldn't bother fussin with the camera. But then I DROVE my SHOW PONY there (and a roadster going down the freeway in 110° weather really isn't that much fun) so Larry would probably piss about my pics anyway ;)

3wLarry likes this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This F@cking awesome, I like flathead as much as the next guy, but 12 port Wayne heads are the coolest thing, actually them and Jimmy 302 is the coolest common odd-thing in my book!
    That are not so rare people can't relate to them, but not so common every one has one.
    But if that guy has more then to he is either a horder or a Semi-God!

I still remember the story from on here of the six shooter threads of guys being set straight, even in T buckets , by crusty old Chevys with a Hot Stovebolt or a Jimmy.
    Is there any chance he need louvers? (Pun intended) and will let you post pics of a 27 on 32, with Wayne heads and everything, that would be awesome!!

I even swear that I saw a green channeled roadster in one of the pics you gave us, chip?
    That most clearly be a survivor, very few people have the b@lls to do a channeled roadster these days, although I'm trying to convince a guy on here to go era perfect and do just that, only time will tell.

Cudo's for a job well-done on that Merc! Going from being a nice car to, a very nice car with awesome hood and trunk!

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

An chance of any story on this?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466972145.812522.jpg

Or this

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466972167.428510.jpg

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So next, I sauntered, (moseyed maybe?) across to the NHRA museum. Being the giant 12 year old I am, the very first thing I do is run straight back to the greatest museum display ever, the one that shows nitro used through a single cylinder, from fire up, to staging, through a typical 3-4 second run! As recorded later by hotrodron Carlsten. He somehow managed to omit my gigles as I pressed the button time after time...

Holy Crap! It's The Albertson Olds car!!! DSC07558.JPG

The Chrisman car was well represented too! DSC07557.JPG

The digger room... DSC07562.JPG

Drag bikes abound, including Dean Lowe's salt/drag S90 Honda! Being a Honda Horizontal -0-phile, it's favorite! DSC07564.JPG DSC07565.JPG DSC07566.JPG

Soon it was time for my moment of worship.... Anybody that know's me know's my love of the Ivo 'Bucket. More specifically, the Roland version of the same. But, yearly I make my pilgrimage to the museum to give thanks... DSC07570.JPG DSC07571.JPG DSC07572.JPG

Oh, and the clone of the Grabowski car was right next door. DSC07575.JPG

Then again, Isky's car was right across the way... Sorry, my camera was freaking out in the mid to low light. DSC07581.JPG

And Chet Herbert's "Beast III" was in the main hall (Haul?) DSC07579.JPG

And the Chrisman/Cannon "Hustler I" was quietly peaking around the corner... DSC07583.JPG

There is something absolutely magical and to me, and as silly as it sounds "spriritual" about a trip to the NHRA museum. History surrounds me everywhere when I am in there, and it's all of the history of the sport/hobby that has been with me from the cradle, and will be with me 'till they bury me. In a very strange way, after attending L.A.R.S. for almost 2/3rds of my life, this show and museum is a part of the history of me...

kiwijeff, Squablow, slack and 5 others like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll never get someone to explain Facebook. You come to the HAMB and are told to join FB so you can read stuff that should be here in the first place. How many people take their new Fords to the local dealership for service and get sent to the Chevy dealership down the road? Bob

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    kiwijeff, lothiandon1940 and 3wLarry like this.
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Can't tell ya much about the green car. It seems to be a recent build, and was in the newly re-upped HOP UP Parking corral for the traditionally minded folk. stunning in the morning sun though!

The other car I can't tell a bunch about! That's Tom Cobb's car from the late forties and early fifties.One of the first cars to play with the GMC supercharger, it a was a street/lakes car that held another very heavy distinction... It is half of the very first, modern "Drag Race"! It was towed up to Goleta, ( just North of Ventura) to match race with another hot street car at the Goleta airport. Since a quarter mile of pavement was all that was available that day, that was the length decided on that morning in '48 or '49. Soon after, Goleta was the scene of the first weekly drags in history! Not too long after, Pappy Hart got going with Santa Anna, and stuff exploded!

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

MANY thanks for all the pics bubba...mucho appreciated

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quiet, huh, that thing is loud just sit'n there.
    If you ever have an opportunity to hear the Hustler run, take it, unreal.
    Thanks Chip.

3wLarry likes this.