Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Check out Jay Lenos accident Last epposode/ Crash...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Jun 24, 2016.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I don't think that was the original idea... its amazing it was still running when it stopped rolling.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - pretty sure that is an upgraded later car. sure hope that Leno's shop will be involved with repairs - yep, flat track straight line ride. have looked for Leno's show, with no luck. try this link:
    autoweek.com/article/car-life/watch-jay-leno-roll-inside-hemi-under-glass

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. funk 49

funk 49

Interesting to watch,but glad no one was injured. I believe that was one of the later builds,as Mecum was running around trying to sell "if I remember right" the first two
    cars not knowing if to sell as pair or split them up.
    Funk 49

4. Out having fun-Rolling one of the most iconic 60's drag/show cars... with the original driver driving it-Priceless !
    Glad no one was hurt

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Agree, don't know why they didn't film it on the 1/8th mile, which was about 100 yards away. But gotta hand it to Jay, cool, still crackin' jokes.

Stogy likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If it we anybody else, we'd be saying how dumb they were. Glad they walked away. That's all I can say about it.

X38 and Surf City like this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Holy shit, lucky Jay Leno had his arm in given there was no window net. Things could have been a lot worse and it shows how things can go wrong in a split second! Fortunately no one was injured, apart from their pride. The car can be repaired.

8. tomcat11

tomcat11

Iconic car at the wrong track. Glad to see no one hurt. I'll bet Jay will help with the restoration.

9. PSYCHOSOLID

PSYCHOSOLID

10. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Beat me to it.

Also, I know it may be instinct to hold on to the steering wheel, but I've heard of guys hurting themselves trying to do that during a wreck.

As others said, could of been worse, hope they can find another body to replicate the car.

11. the safety equipment saved their asses!

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. JEEEEEZUS, That's scary!!!:eek:

wraymen likes this.
  13. slack

slack

Damn, Jay Leno's tough. Who'da thunk it? o_O

wraymen likes this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks for posting ! O S$$T moment for sure, nobody hurt, sure they will rebuild car. Old Timers having FUN, CAUTION !!! Do Not try this at home !

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. manyolcars

manyolcars

Actually thats one of the most awesome things Leno has ever done and they caught it on film!

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I bet when the car is rebuilt they put a tad bit more negative camber in the front end so this wont happen again.:eek:

17. Jay was very fortunate that he didn't get an arm out the window and rolled over on or torn off - that is why we have hand restraints and safety nets in cars today. What caused the whole thing was Bob turned the car too fast under speed - I almost did that at Bonneville (very easy to do when you're not focused enough)..

Just goes to show yah, we sometimes do the dumbest things when we're trying to impress others - God knows I have. Glad nobody was hurt . . . really a shame to destroy that body like this. Gotta give Jay credit - he sure is a car guy through and through.

low budget likes this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ha,Ha, Had to smile, already knowing they were going to be ok before I watched it, I thought they both handled it very well, I guarantee that ride is more memorable now than if they had only done the wheel stand.

I also had to smile at the interview at the first part, Why is it that all great ideas,songs,whatever etc. are always written down on a napkin? :D Im not sure if all this stuff really gets written on a napkin or it just sounds more romantic,to make it sound like they normally have a lifestyle of just sitting around sipping on martinis:D

The next time I have what I think is a good idea, Im going to write it on a napkin, that way maybe it will have a better chance of actually being a good idea:D.....sorry no disrespect to the guy at all, just had to share my thoughts:D

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

No, that was a replica of the original. IIRC The original 65 is still in storage, owned by Bill Shrewsberry

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  20. One of the 1st things I was taught in stock car racing.. if the car is lost, grab both of your shoulder straps duck your head and ride out the crash. A window net would have been nice.

tierod likes this.
  21. Sporty45

Sporty45

Meh, it wasn't a HAMB worthy car

:p Just kidding. Damn shame to see that happen, glad nobody got hurt!

:cool:

22. Was there a third one? A 67 sold for $300,000 in 2014. Was that this car?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Hold my prune juice and watch this!

I want to still be doing stupid shit when I'm 80.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything can happen, and usually does. I'm in the glad they're ok line too, but holy shit! 80 years young, not hurt, took it like a true racer, damn what an event. Sporty45, not directed at you as you were joking, but this stuff is what the HAMB is truly about, the experiences from the past to today, the people still doing it, the privvy of seeing it, just don't get no better.

And hey, I built a car in the 80s for a big outfit that was indeed designed on a bar napkin. I saw the original idea but it's not HAMB friendly. The guy in on it sure was though. Kool, and thanks...

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  25. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Now that Bob is 80 maybe he should think about leaving the 2500 hp wheelies to the younger guys. I'm pretty sure he'll be hearing that from his wife on a regular basis now. I'm glad that the only thing hurt was his pride. As for Jay, he can add that to his long list of automotive adventures covering the last 50+ years....

26. Life`s a Drag

Life`s a Drag

Time for bob to hang his helmet up.

27. We all do things we're not proud of - at all ages. I do hope that I make it to 80 - and can still do some stupid things . . . and only hurt my pride in doing so. :)

28. Thanks for sharing, lots of bondo!!

29. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

First of all, this is what happens when you take a car that is meant to go in a straight line and put it on an oval. That car was going to stay upright until they tried to make a left hand trun going probably 40mph with drag rubber. I can't help to think that with al of Jay's money they couldn't have found a local drag strip to film this at. What a bunch of DOPES!!!!!!!

Tudor, pat59, cretin and 1 other person like this.
  30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

It didn't start turning till it started to bounce on the rear wheels..Bob tried to correct but probably would have been better to lock the wheels ; hindsight...Also shows how well proper seat and harness works...After all was done Bob was calm and J was a card..Just about right..Wonder if skid marks were found later...:D

arkiehotrods likes this.