Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 Cruise-o-matic problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wiley1905, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Wiley1905

Wiley1905

I recently purchased a 1958 Ford thunderbird. Well, almost 2 years ago. Ive been working on it all the time that I might get between work & family. I bit off a little more than I can chew, but I'm definitely catching up now... I &ave a 352 FE with a Cruise-o-matic. I only have reverse, no drives.., any suggestions?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Did the car ever move under it's own power in recent history, or is it likely that the bad transmission is the reason it was parked?

3. Wiley1905

Wiley1905

When I bought it I started it off of the solenoid & it lurched foward a bit. But I have taken the engine out since then, without the trans

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Wiley1905

Wiley1905

When I bought the car I started it from the solenoid & it lurched foward a bit. So I assumed that the trans was decent, I pulled the engine out, To rebuild it, slapped it back in, thinking I was goo to go. But when I wires it up & fired it up only went into reverse. Tried leaving it in the drive gears for a couple minutes, but to no avail

5. squirrel

squirrel

You did make sure the fluid level is correct? And the shift linkage is adjusted properly?

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

We bought a 63 Dodge 300 that had sat for a few years.
    Finally after getting it started, it needed about 15 minutes in drive, idling to "remember" what it was supposed to do.
    Good times.

Wiley1905 likes this.
  7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Forward clutch is not applying. Sounds like valve body or the forward clutch piston seal is dried up.

Wiley1905 likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hey, D2! Isn't there an 1/8th pipe threaded plug up forward on a Cruiso than can be removed and a pressure gauge applied for a test on that port?
    Many years ago, slight memory jog.....

9. Wiley1905

Wiley1905

Yes

10. Wiley1905

Wiley1905

I've been talking to alot of different people that have alot of different opinions on the matter, but everything keeps leaning towards the valve body.. thanks man

11. They're pretty simple and something is either gummed up or dried out. Get a general rebuild kit and dive into it, take lots of pictures!

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If there is (and I don't recall), then I would start there. Plug gauge in, raise rear end of car so wheels are off ground, then run car in drive right, observe pressure. If no pressure clean valve body and possibly governor. If pressure (even if on low side), then forward clutch is the problem and a complete teardown of transmission. Another approach is to remove valve body and find forward clutch passage. Then apply compressed air and listen for a thud. Thud will be there if forward clutch piston and the clutch plates are reasonably good.

13. carguy699

carguy699

the old car project has an online 58 ford shop manual with a complete cruise o matic section. it helped me a lot when I got my 58 fairlane which had forward gears but not reverse. turned out to be dried up seals in mine which required a rebuild.. fyi rebuild kits are available but hard parts can be pricey!

jim

Wiley1905 likes this.
  14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

As mentioned, my guess is a dried up forward clutch seal. As far as air checking it, make sure your only using about 15psi to apply the clutch. Any clutch will sound like it applied with 120psi to it. And I would be surprised if it turned out to be the valve body, but stranger things have happened.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is a pipe plug for a pressure gauge just forward of the shift lever pressure should read 56-68 psi @ idle in all gears.

Wiley1905 likes this.
  16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

15psi may be on the low side. If being applied by 50-60psi I would use minimum of 40psi air.

Wiley1905 likes this.