Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gas Station give aways & noveltys from the past

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Remember when gas stations offered perks for fill ups?

Lets see the key chains,rulers,ice scrapes,stickers,or whatever the stations used to get the driving public do business with them,this kind of stuff is rarely seen today.

I remember having the trick or treat bag from Esso. HRP

[​IMG]
    and the fire king coffee cup.

[​IMG]

2. Remember the antenna ball? HRP

[​IMG]

Mark Hinds, Dog_Patch, belair and 5 others like this.
  3. Green stamps..... Filling those little books... LOL

Spoggie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I worked in a Union 76 station in '63. We gave away blue chip stamps. What a P.I.T.A.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Very vivid memories of those orange 76 balls HRP.
    IIRC, it was around 1966 when I first saw these, my grade school was next door to the lone 76 station in the small town where I grew up. EVERYDAY after school; we would go in there bugging the attendant for them. We had them stuck on things all over town.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. town sedan

town sedan

About 1965, I was around 4 at the time, but remember getting a plastic teepee tent at a Texico station (could have been another brand). My sister and I played all summer in that thing. Of course no photos. Guess it didn't happen -LOL!
    -Dave

7. Man,I remember the S & H Green Stamps,I made a deal with my mom that I would fill 3 books if she would let me have one,she agreed and my tongue was sore and had a crappy taste in my mouth,I was able to get real cheap made hatchet that I still have in my tool box.

[​IMG]

I remember Shaw's Shell offered them and later on Top Value stamps. HRP

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  8. In the late fifties Standard Oil of Kentucky offered China for a small cost with fill up. One piece at a time of course. We have the set my Mom eventually completed. If you guys really want a pic of a set of china, I'll be glad to throw one up. Tim

9. I remember the tiger tail from Esso, the plastic Dinosaur from Sinclair and a set of stick on plastic horse shoes from I believe Gulf. My dad got pissed at me for sticking them on his Stude trunk.

10. There you go,I remember the tiger tail sticker I stuck on my dad's car,wow was he perturbed. HRP

olcurmdgeon and dana barlow like this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

All through high school, and for a while afterwards, I worked at a Standard Chevron Dealership (66-71-; then I got my invitation to go play war with my Uncle). I remember the "flatware" that was "sold" cheap to customers filling up. The spoons-forks-knives were "gold plated". Everyone of us had to carry a spoon to show to the customers. I actually wore the gold plating off the spoon just from handling it, taking it out of my shirt pocket, putting it back ion my shirt pocket. What a bunch of cr*p! I was glad when that promotion was over. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

deadbeat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. I don't remember the tail sticker but every one gave out stickers of some sort. I wish I would have kept some. The tail I remember was a kind of like a stuffed animal's tail with a string attached and you were supposed to put it on your gas cap or bumper. We hung them from the antenna or on the back of our bikes. iu.jpg

13. These were the stickers that pissed the old man off. iuPR10P9Q9.jpg
    I guess I would have been pissed off too.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Wow,marbles,I'll bet the kids in the family helped mom and dad decide where they would purchase gasoline.

[​IMG]

We didn't have Flying A gasoline in my neck of the woods.HRP

LOU WELLS, deadbeat and dana barlow like this.
  16. Another ESSO key chain give away,the other was my uncles used car lot. HRP

[​IMG]

17. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I remember real cheap ice scrapers and little calendars you hooked to the sun visor.

dan31 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. About 72-73ish ARCO had a "NOAH'S ARC" sp? And every time you filled up, you got one set of animals. Guess where I always wanted to go? I'de like to see a picture of those if anybody has them. I would be able to spot that stuff like it was yesterday!
    Stamps= books and books full- wish I could redeem them! and 76 balls= about 15 or so with different logos.....

HOTRODPRIMER and Katuna like this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Up here in BC we had the Esso tiger trial, the Gulf horseshoes, the Chevron F310 stickers, but my dad was loyal to Shell. I think we still have one of those brownish/Amber barrel shape glasses. What I miss are the free road maps, looking at the route along the way on our summer vacations, and adding up the little red mile numbers only to say "are we there yet?".

HOTRODPRIMER and wraymen like this.
  20. Noah's Ark toys from ARCO. HRP

[​IMG]

21. BINGO! Thanks!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. How about Sinclair's Dino piggy bank.

[​IMG]

Or Marathon Oils B. C. Comics glasses. HRP

[​IMG]

Dog_Patch and wraymen like this.
  23. Sinclair also had some inflatable Dinosaurs. My grandmother lived down the street from one and gave me a bunch of them. I also have a wallet from a gas station in DC with the Capital Dome embossed on it. Lord knows where it is now and what station it was from.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

My wife often brags about scoring one of these TEXACO fireman's helmet's! Joe

b18a3970e10e2b63d57147b0f0cb36d9.jpg

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

What fuel company gave away the tanker trucks? I remember seeing them on top of the pumps when Dad was getting a fill up. Joe

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. 41 C28

41 C28

I recall in the 60's Sohio stations in Ohio would post a giant poster on the window of license plate numbers.
    If you found your number you won something, cash I think. I never found mine or ever heard of anyone else finding theirs.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Hess had the tankers,as did Texaco but they were not free.

Here is a Hess key chain bottle opener.HRP

[​IMG]

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I was working for Standard Oil of California in the Baldwin Hills oil field in 1965. With 8 gallons of gas and I believe a small sum (maybe $2) you got a place setting of flatware. These were not gold, as I was engaged at the time so I purchased 8 sets plus 8 ice tea spoons and a few extra pieces. We had SOE ( Std oil Employee) credit cards which were good for 10% off but it came out of your paycheck. We still have 7 ice tea spoons left today. Actually not too bad looking.

Dog_Patch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. trollst

trollst

I have a couple tumblers from esso with tigers on them, big drink glasses, enough for a full coke or pepsi or.....stashed away in mrs trolls favorite hiding space. They're at least fifty years old, I'll try to dig them out for a pic. Never seen anything like them, definitely rare.

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. GTS225

GTS225

(Referancing post 22 by HRP) I remember having a soap carving of that same Sinclair dinosaur, in the box. Where it's at today, I've no clue.

Roger

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.