Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Av8 suspension (you've got to see this)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Apsencik, Jun 20, 2016.

1. mustangsix

mustangsix

I like the look of the car. If it were mine, I would tear it down and build it back right instead of trying to fix this or that.

You can save that front axle. Rear end, I would just remove and start over. Engine and trans mounts too.

Apsencik likes this.
  2. Apsencik

Apsencik

Called joe today. He is going to repair the axle. Didn't know it could be saved but he said yes. And at no charge. Apparently when he dropped it, the guy didn't send any spindles with it.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is pretty damn presumptuous given you're at least once removed from the axle transaction.

I'm glad Joe is going to fix it for you—that dude is solid. But I'm not convinced he was responsible for any "wrongness" in the first place. And I think it's lame to just toss statements like this out into the ether to be found later by someone who doesn't have the entire story.

If it actually was wrong and Joe claimed full responsibility for the issue thats different, but it doesn't read that way to me.

Good luck with the car.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I completely agree with Kevin Lee. You need to pay Okie Joe for his work. There is no way thats his fault

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. belair

belair

Kudos to Okie Joe. Be careful whose name you throw around.

117harv, Bandit Billy and volvobrynk like this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is there any chance that you can find the driveline angels for us?

It looks like he started out will all the right intentions, and somehow ended up in...
    Albuquerque, or how was that's bugs bunny quote?

But if you could redo the front mount for the rear wishbone, and ditch the coil overs before the transverse spring! That would be the best route to me, and maybe post an pic of where the rear wishbone goes too the axle, that would be nice too.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think that axle could make a left toin at Albaquoike.

BradinNC, belair, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  8. Apsencik

Apsencik

Never said it was his fault. The axle was bent wrong due to the previous owner not sending the spindles with it. I know this because I talked to Joe. He offers camber changes on all his bent axles free of charge. Personally I don't give a damn what your feelings on the subject are.

9. Are those front wish bone brackets hanging on with just one bolt? Even if there is two, that still needs to be corrected, if the caster angle is wrong after that the bones will need to be pie cut and rewelded.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. Apsencik

Apsencik

There's 2 there. But they need welded to frame

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. verde742

verde742

as we say: Pictures or it didn't happen ?"

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it was built by "Poser's Rod Shop"...(see what I did there?) Lots of problems, but not the least of which the approach to the topic and replies. Getting the most from this site usually inspires a nicer exchange of ideas between the OP and participants. Just sayin...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Nice looking car. I'll buy a pile of good parts put together wrong for cheap all day long. That's the beauty of guys that watch TV shows and think it's as easy as it looks. They buy a catalog of parts and realize they have no idea what they are doing and then their wives make them get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

BradinNC, ClarkH, poboyross and 4 others like this.
  14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe go back and objectively read what you wrote to see where I could have drawn that conclusion.

Also, don't care that you don't care.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe did my axle. I checked it with my jig and tooling when I got it. It was perfect. He took care of supplying me spindles, and dropping the steering arms, too.

I am not surprised that he is standing by his products. He is that kind of guy.

Others take note: This is how you build relationships with customers that last for life.

Now stop bickering everyone. The important thing is that it is getting fixed.

C. John Stutzer and volvobrynk like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you were nearby, I'd help you get that all worked out. It is totally fixable.

I would ditch the coil-overs, and replace the "suspension" in the rear with a set of Pete and Jake's ladder bars, correcting the pinion angle in the process.

If the frame is not already boxed, box it. A good K-member would be nice, too.

[​IMG]

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bushings don't come into play if the king pin holes in the axle are stretched oblong. Install the king pins in the axle, heat the ends cherry red, then gently tap the holes to reshape them around the king pin. Carefully remove king pins before ends have a chance to cool. When axle cools, it is repaired. Most rodders send a tweaked axle like yours down the road and start fresh. Might be as inexpensive to do just that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Must be more to this deal; can't think of any reason the spindles would be needed to get the camber right.

Andy likes this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I think it's wonderfull that Joe redo the axle! And all the other bitching and moaning should stay in the past, building and fixing hot rods take president!

I've been wondering why okie joe and Sid ain't on here?
    HAMBer are where they get the biggest customer base in one swoop.

Keep at it, lad!

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  20. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looking at those pictures I am real confused about the rear wishbone set up. I would split them and ditch that crazy mount. Better yet look for a banjo rear and a trans. More Traditional.

21. alchemy

alchemy

Darn right! The end of every axle should be the same angle, dropped or not.

22. Ya; but a 5 speed behind a flathead works pretty good; and while the S10 rear is not very pretty, it probably has a decent gear ratio to go with the 5 spd.
    Just clean all the weird stuff off it and start again with some ladder bars since it's already modern. Maybe look at the engine mounting too, possibly looks low in back. Good looking car; hope their isn't much more strange stuff for you to deal with.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That is true. I do like the idea of a 5 speed and am going to be running one on my coupe. Keeping that rear with a ladder bar set up would be the least work and least expensive.

24. all very easy to re -engineer. maybe just run an 40s open drive banjo rear?? and build off that?

that car is so Bad Ass. And looks worth the effort.
    Rad Bobbed fenders to boot

good luck with it

25. Apsencik

Apsencik

I'm going with the open banjo. Keeping 5 spd. With the s10 in OD it's a little gutless due to high gears. 411s would work great and keep rpms where they need to be. I'm not running 90 mph everywhere I go but I like to cruise at hey speed. Joe said he needs spindles due to there being some variation in the way FoMoCo made them. He's the expert not me so I believe him when he says it. He also said that he can repair the kingpin boss by heating it, peening it and reboring it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

Joe needs the spindles so he can bend the arms, not bend the axle.

need louvers ? and RICH B like this.
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Throw the coil overs as far as you possibly can! Now, not sure why this is not widely understood, but if you have your shackles in their correct geometry, a panhard par shouldn't be needed with an early ford cross spring. Yours looks pretty close to the needed 45 degrees. Someone else up the line said it looks like they just kept adding stuff to the rear end.... Yup! So, ditch the coil overs replace them with a quality oil shock. take the upper bars and mounts off the "four link" (mini trucker and race car term, by the way. Old speak is four bars), correct your driveline angles, which may require moving the front mount up a bit, and add a single torque rod. Done!

Do not throw a dropped stock axle away, especially for a So-Cal until that looks like an out cast piece from a poorly made (think Hawk, Testors, Entex, or super early Monogram) model car kit. The current aftermarket dropped I-beams look wrong from as far out as outer space.... And you rally don't want the people reviewing the photos from the Hubble Space Telescope laughing at you in your pride and joy, correct? Talk to Okie Joe and have him shring the king pin end a bit and ream it for you and all will be well.

volvobrynk, RICH B and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. sjm1340

sjm1340
    from New Jersey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29. sjm1340

sjm1340
    from New Jersey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Blow it apart and make it yours. Fixing shit is what the kid with the Honda up the street would do. This is Hot Rodding.

volvobrynk and need louvers ? like this.