Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** June 2016 Banger Meet - Time for Crickets and June bugs***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 31, 2016.

1. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

It does turn very fast but on the 28/29, unless aftermarket, there is no splash guard so water is always hitting the overflow. Running a thermostat in the upper pipe will slow it down some. If you are running a tstat check to make sure it's not backwards, ask me how I know...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. this a car or tractor? in with model a and tractor parts. Can't find any markings. mag.JPG

3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Looks to me like a splitdorf maybe off a tractor but I can't say for sure

4. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Don't see any reason why it couldn't be used on a banger.

5. here is the other side IMG_2488.JPG

6. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I bought some of the T5 to tourqe tube adapters that were being sold on here a few years back. How many of you actually run them and are they quality pieces?

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have one but haven't got my car together yet. The part is quality and fits great!!
    I hope to have mine on the road in another month or so. Working on painting the car now.

Running gear 4.jpg

Dannerr likes this.
  8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Need some thoughts on the throttle linkage. I'm using the stock A linkage that bolts on the back of the block and is hooked up to an original Fulton pedal. Replaced the old stock A throttle return spring with a new one and also had to put a second return spring for safety/FAST rules. See post #97. Problem is the amount of pressure I have to use to get the secondary to open. When I let off on the throttle, it slams back right now. There has to be a better way....I just don't know what that is.

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I think crazydaddyo was the one that made them, is that one of his adapters?

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Yes that is one of them. I know there are several people looking for one. In the T-5 to torque tube thread there was another member making an adapter for the Jeep T-5. His posts were towards the bottom of the thread. Hope this helps.

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Are you looking for more?

12. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am actually looking to sell the two I have.

Note: I have had a few PMs about these. The ones I bought from Crazydaddyo are for the later banjo rears not the A rear. I will do a ad the classifieds for them this weekend if not sold by then.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. 30ccpu

30ccpu

Hi dose anyone know who also has the over sized inlet valves? I'm after some and Charlie Yapp is out of stock.

14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I remember on the ford barn a couple of months ago there was somebody asking about one. Wish I had some extra cash I would like to have one for a future project.

15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I will have to remember to take a look.

16. 97

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Do a Goggle SI Valves
    all stainless ..... you can get any size you wish They custom make them or will sell you blanks as well

18. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

You do not need special valves from 1 of A model vendors just work out the sizes and length shape weight you want and go through some catalogs they are not hard find
    and I think you will find they are same as sold by yapp and the rest

19. hotrod holland

hotrod holland

20. hotrod holland

hotrod holland

here it is my newly built woody model a ford .

kmc777 likes this.
  21. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks Colin, I'll keep an eye out for those heated carb spacer.

22. blgitn

blgitn

23. Very kuul, Hotrod Holland! Do you have a build thread? And what's the story with the tudor behind it? :)

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I agree! Both cars look cool. What is the wagon? I would love to see some more pictures of all of them.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

It does turn very fast but on the 28/29,

the newer ones have the impeller shaved which will slow the water down .

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

When I let off on the throttle, it slams back right now

seems you got blown over . can you run a cable throttle ? or use lighter springs to satisfy you

27. PhredH

PhredH

Drove the phaeton 1000 miles from Chicagoland to Loveland CO for the MAFCA meet last week. Cruising 55 - 65 mph the whole way, no worries the entire way. Until ...20 yards from the motel parking spot and the car sputters and dies. Daughter #2 and I push the car into the spot and let it cool down for inspection.

Turns out the tubular steel intake manifold developed some significant cracks.

Recalled an earlier FordBarn post from Rex at The Forge in Loveland CO offering his shop to MAFCA attendees in distress. I brought the intake to his shop the next morning.

The guys at The Forge took my manifold, immediately weld it up, and I was back on the mountain roads that afternoon. A few hundred high altitude miles and 1000 flat land miles back to Chicagoland later, the repair is holding up well.

So ... in the words of some of the Kiwis I met at the meet, "Good on ya, Forge!"
    IMG_1764 (1).JPG IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1769.JPG
    Peace, Phred

Jet96, 29 Speedster, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you made some good friends there . maybe to much heat on long run ?? glad you got the help .

29. 97

Looks like vibration to me...hard(er) spots in the manifold around the welds . Look at Phred's post #111 the carb , air cleaner , heater are tall, also the weight of the hoses full of water from the heater bouncing would offer lots of leverage to any vibration and add cyclic stress on the neck of the manifold. The braces welded on are a good call... I think the hoses probably need a support.

Dannerr and Crazydaddyo like this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

upload_2016-6-26_19-10-53.png

I would think you could eliminate most of the extra stuff mounted on the little neck on the manifold. the next may be the fuel lines . "97" I'm tending to agree with you . simply is better . a lot of things going on there .

Dannerr likes this.