Register now to get rid of these ads!

My fiancés new 1936 Buick 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, May 1, 2016.

1. LBCD

LBCD

Car looks great! Avila pier vid is nice....My daughter attends Cal Poly and my family take little trips up the coast from Long Beach a few times a year. Going to try and make it to TROG in Oct....hope to see your car on the beach! I had a 35 3 window for a few years...miss that one still....settling for the dealer sign in my hallway for now.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my QMV7A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  2. Baldies

Baldies

Remarkable how that car buffed out. It looks great. With that long hood it kinda looks like a wacky racer.

3. telekenfun

telekenfun

4. Damn shes cool wanna trade?

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Those Buick sombreros look great, cool car.

6. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

7. KB, Would love to have the dual carb set up but I imagine shipping won't be too cheap and I know they are worth a pretty penny so I will end up just building one to save some coin! Yes I need to get the front lowered here soon. Just an inch maybe 2!

8. Killer sign. The 36 will be there at ROG!

lbcd likes this.
  9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Car looks great, but come clean - who gets to drive it the most?

10. telekenfun

telekenfun

Hey, If you'll post the install on your thread and pay the shipping, I'll make it a wedding present, She gets the intake and you get the exhaust! PM me your address and I'll get it sent.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is übercool!! Only on the HAMB!!!

I love this thread and the HAMB

This gesture is almost as cool the car!

Looking forward to pics!

I would go as far as saying;
    Patiently waiting for pics, and tire size. LOL

12. Kb if I could email you a hug I would!!! Your the man!! I'll message you the info now!!

13. Is equal haha

14. 'Mo

'Mo

For me, it doesn't get much better than this!

NOW, what to do? So many options with TWO great cars!
    The '36 motor is babbited, No? Your '52 has inserts, Yes?
    Mmmm...WHAT IF...
    '52 motor, reground cam (Delta), dual carbs, milled head, twin pipes, hot ignition (Pertronix or Mallory), chopped flywheel.... Car of your choice :)

Personally, I'd build this motor, put it in the '36 til the '52 was done, then switch them back. OR... By that millennium, stick a nailhead in the '52! :D

Whatever you do, good for you!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  15. I've thought this same thing.. I just rebuilt the 263 from the 52.. .30 over decked head/block re ground cam and crank new valves small head work... But the 233 in the 36 was also just rebuilt before I got it but just to stock.

Live Action!

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Well, then, I'd say you're in clover!

17. telekenfun

telekenfun

OH OH, I'm afraid I started something! Let me start by stating "nothing is as simple as it sounds".
    Secondly, be sure to multiply all labor estimates by PYE (3.14159). Thirdly, there is a lady involved.!!! Isn't it her car? Lastly, If I recall your strategy was to always have something kool to cruise in.
    Any major changes in the '36 would mean significant down time, remember PYE.
    Just, and I'm use that word loosely, just installing the compound set-up will require re-plumbing the fuel line, re-routing for dual exhaust and modifying the throttle linkage interface. Take each task and imagine a realistic time requirement to complete each. Now add those three times together and multiply by PYE. How long will the car be out of commission? Does that seem like an acceptable amount of time. What does she think of that?
    Here come some more things to consider. How original do you want to keep the '36? What limitations exist in keeping it original? Is she comfortable driving the car in original form, i.e., can she steer it into a parking spot? Does she like shifting a manual transmission? Would she be more comfortable if it had power steering and an automatic transmission. Does the car do well on today's Hi-ways? Would a taller rear gear help it keep up with traffic?
    A 263 would certainly provide more welcome power unattainable with the 233. Plus yours is already setup for an automatic. But that will require an open drive shaft and a different rear end. You are dealing with that with '52 as well. If you choose to go in this direction, you'll now have two cars down for an extended period of time.
    But two heads are better than one, Share these points with one another and you'll be on the right path.
    Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors,KB.

PS. I just returned from The "Bear Paw Festival", where they have a local car show and my wife's SUPER won the best PRE'50 Class prize. Not one person and a lot were "old-timers", picked up on the fact that it wasn't the original 248 or that "49s didn't have dual carbs! It is a 20 mile trip out there and the Buick performed beautifully. I ran in the fast lane all the way and passed nearly everyone where they all run around 75-80 Mph on a posted 65mph road. Very typical on that Hi-way. My RPM never exceeded 2200. There were a few that will really go flying by but I like to run just a little faster than the prevailing speed. I have done all the mods mentioned above and I can say that ours still retains its vintage appeal and aesthetics. Again, KB.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    LONG and firstinsteele like this.
  18. 'Mo

'Mo

Telekenfun is right!
    I didn't know the '36 motor is fresh, and assumed it would be coming out at some point.
    I was suggesting having the '52 motor ready to go in when it did.
    Thankfully, there's no need for that! (That's what I meant by your "being in the clover"! )
    Leave the '36 in "PEACE", not "PIECES"!;)

19. sololobo

sololobo

awesome Buick go gett'em

20. LONG

LONG

this winter I hope to install my factory split manifolds. just need to find a second stromberg. both cars are cool.

21. telekenfun

telekenfun

Tell me what you have going on and I can maybe help you out. What else are you missing or do know if other things are missing. Are you using Aerotypes or EEs. PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

22. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These bad boys showed up yesterday!! Thanks so much KB! I can't wait to get this setup cleaned up and installed! 1 step closer!

Live Action!

Stogy, volvobrynk, hacknwhack and 3 others like this.
  23. 'Mo

'Mo

Congratulations, LA. Too cool for words! :cool:
    Good on ya, KM! ;) Just WOW!!!

24. 'Mo

'Mo

L.A., IMHO, This build and your '52 qualify you as royalty in Buick Customs.
    Powell, Dore, Barris, Kouw, Pratt, L.A...No Chit! Preferred Parking. Heady stuff!

25. Haha thanks mo! I love Buicks. Just something about them that's does it for me! I don't plan on stopping any time soon!

Live Action!

26. LBCD

LBCD

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. GhostMN

GhostMN

Great car!!!!!!Great thread!

28. thunderroad

thunderroad
    from san mateo

It was rad to meet you while we were lining up at TROG. Also the doggies in the back seat! I had the 38 Ford kustom. Here is a few shots of my 36 buick getting a hair cut.

Attached Files:

29. Awesome car. I had a friend who owned a 38 coupe done in much the same way as yours except it was red. Looks good and I love the idea of a 263 in it. Ahh,Westergard would be proud.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and LiveActionMotorsports like this.
  30. Killer man!! I didn't notice your comment until now! Did kustom Paul chop that? I think I saw it on IG! That things is killer! Are you on Instagram?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.