Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project 61F100UNI WilDHair customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 4rod, Aug 28, 2014.

1. 4rod

4rod

Lots more to come...placing notch, lining up draglink for shortening...shock towers need to be cut as notch will affect their placement and then on to the rear for lowering, by removing overload springs and coil springs. As well as lengthening shackles. But today I'll prep frame and clean up welds getting ready for paint. Wish I had por15 but I'll settle for rustolium. I like to mix first coat with gas to get paint thin. Let it seep into all the crannys. Then go over it with another coat. Some think the gas brings it to really harden. I know it a butch to get off ounce it cures.
    Happy Father's Day fellas!

2. 4rod

4rod

Today I went back and replaced the box housing. It didn't seem right when I looked more closely at it the box and column where not level to the cab and frame so I cut my welds and got the placement where I think it will line up better...note from a novice to a novice...always tack weld and recheck recheck and recheck before permanently welding.
    [​IMG]

3. 4rod

4rod

Lining up much better

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Any way you can turn your U bolts over, pointing down so they don't interfere with the frame? Frank

5. 4rod

4rod

Not really cause ublots strap in the springs. Notching the frame will allow for the clearance needed. On to that next thanks for asking though.

6. Gotta hand it to you, a few guys have followed a few parts of my Uni chassis build-up, but most cut corners when it gets to the hard parts...good work, and way to stay the course!

7. 4rod

4rod

Thanks Todd. That's encouraging! This stuff has to be done right as you say. I drive it daily. Taking my kids to school etc. it's getting there!!!

8. F-head

F-head

just got my 53 f100 running with 5"z in the rear and front axle on top of the springs
    raised the steering box 5". has bias ply tires ,super happy with the way it drives
    lookin good
    B

9. 4rod

4rod

Nice I'm sentimental so when taking stock parts modifying them, I appreciate it that much more.

10. 4rod

4rod

Finishing up the front end...again following safety pro cautions so took u bolt girdles and put some legs on them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All tacked up ready to finish weld polish and paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 4rod

4rod

Today I got into the backend. Removing springs and will extend the hangers. I removed all the flat overload springs three per side. I'm also removing the bottom curved spring. So running with four per pack. Also will take off the over excessive coil springs too. I'm retiring this truck from heavy loads.
    [​IMG]
    To remove the hangers it's pretty straight forward. No need to take the front off its hanger.
    [​IMG]

I was able to save one side of u blots. The other seems to have been rubbing on the springs so I'll try and re thread it.
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow I'll be extending the hanger 2 1/2 inches.
    [​IMG]

12. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to seeing how the hanger extensions work out. I'm in the exact same boat with mine.

13. 4rod

4rod

Okay started with the hangers...photos to come a little detour though the rear u bolts were in bad shape from years of rust etc... I was able to find the right die and I was able to salvage them by chasing the threads.
    [​IMG]

14. 4rod

4rod

Crookshanks thanks I'll have play by play tomorrow on the hangers. Got one all tacked but left it at work. It's really straight forward process. I'm using 3/16 stock.

15. 4rod

4rod

Getting started on hangers the measure 4"cl to cl.
    Made cut line
    [​IMG]

Using stock 3/16 made inserts you can see the amount 2.5 makes
    [​IMG]
    Both tacked and both line up measurement is 6.5 to center of holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Test fit then weld up as well as box in the back

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  16. 4rod

4rod

Welding them up and fitting boxing plates
    [​IMG]
    All welded
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Placed and still have clearance
    [​IMG]

17. 4rod

4rod

The rear is finished. Don't really have a before or after shot so you'll have to trust me... It came down a lot. 5 1/2 inches enough to cover the top of the rear tires. Running stock shocks their almost bottomed out. Prob need to get new ones also. So there you have it
    [​IMG]

18. 4rod

4rod

Because of the rear leaf removal I had to place spacers so the u blots would seat properly. Luckily I had the right size and amount...
    [​IMG]

19. 4rod

4rod

I also ended up replacing a leaf so leaving four in each pack...the bed is still pretty floaty

20. Looks like its going to be a cool truck. I think its awesome you went with the y block. I wish i did a y block in my build. I like the 302 I have, but the y blocks are just so Kool. They sound good too.
    What are your plans for the rest of the build?

21. 4rod

4rod

Voodoo, thanks, as far as the rest of the build my plans are to get it back on the road and whittle away at the body work. It's my daily driver so just getting it running...I had to do the suspension work cause the engine was out and with it back in it would be no telling when I'd get to it. I like rolling projects but usually when I take an engine out I end up tearing the whole vehicle up and it sits for ever. Not this one I told myself it's back on the road by mid july

voodookustoms likes this.
  22. Sounds like a good plan. I wanted to be able to drive my project as much as possible too. Good luck.
    Do you still have the 53 ford in your avatar?

23. 4rod

4rod

No sold that to grab a 50 shoebox 2dr sedan.

voodookustoms likes this.
  24. 4rod

4rod

Started the finishing touches on the firewall
    [​IMG]

25. Making good time on this! Nice work, man...

mario711 likes this.
  26. 4rod

4rod

Wow Todd thanks coming from you...rad

27. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Thanks for showing that hanger job. I'm getting right on it.

28. 4rod

4rod

Sure..just remember...a mistake I could have made is make sure both hangers line up and square on to long bolts. That insures their both equal in length..u don't want one side a bit taller or lower...
    Post pic when your done.

29. 4rod

4rod

Okay all welded and ground out nice n smooth ready for paint
    [​IMG]

Filled a couple of heat holes( flux core can be a drag) turned out pretty good like factory
    [​IMG]

30. I was glad to see you do that. When I did the LSR truck, I was trying to figure out a simple jig to make sure the c/l's matched. Doesn't get much easier than that!

Firewall came out really nice! You're on the home stretch with the lowering...