Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Av8 suspension (you've got to see this)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Apsencik, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Apsencik

Apsencik

Before anyone says anything, I got this thing cheap and it's a damn good car. The guy who built it did not know what he was doing. But it's got a bitchin body and one of the best running 8ba flat ties I've ever seen.

Ok. Two parts here.

1. Front axle is shot. Kingpin wiggles in the axle. Apparently previous owner (who didn't know shit, as post goes on, you'll figure this out) has the original axle dropped by okie Joe in Oklahoma. Spindles are straight but axle was not bent with enough camber. See pic. Plus, kingpin wiggles in the axle I have to replace it. So, this axle is a 48". Can I go with a 47 or 48 ? What will interfere with current set up. Car has cross steering.

2. Ok this is where it gets good. The "builder" put a stock spring on top of an s10 axle, with coilovers and some weird 4 link thing. No panhard bar. He welded some makeshift assed bracket too the diff housing. Pinion angle is terrible. Also has some weird ass jerry rigged stay ball thing. I'm ditching all this crap but keeping some. Should I keep coil overs or buggy spring. Both require much needed fab work. I just want the most reliable set up. Thanks. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466472408.911953.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466472571.408445.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466472771.381366.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466473115.147773.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    bali-rod and Stogy like this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have seen way worse...Busy rear end!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The sign in the background seems to fit pretty well...:D

55willys, Old-Soul, 41woodie and 11 others like this.
  4. 3 degrees, 30 degrees........what the difference?:eek::D
    good looking car.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. trucker1

trucker1

Maybe a 39 tranny hooked to a 36 rearend with model A brackets welded to the ends with a shortened torque tube and shaft with a model T spring. Get Vern Tardels book. It has more info than a stack Of Tex Smith books. Someone on the HAMB makes bolt on model A spring perches. Put new

6. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Are you sure the axle itself is shot and not just a case of kingpin bushings being completely worn out.

7. Apsencik

Apsencik

Doesn't really matter, don't want to screw with bending that one for camber issues. 300 bucks buys a new one.

8. trucker1

trucker1

Sorry got cut off, RE-bush your spindles and ream with a reamer from one of the suppliers. Fin a 32 or 33 to 34 wishbones intact and make a ball joint mount for the front end. The stretched ends look good from here. Glynn.

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

How's the ride with that pinon set up?

10. looks like an original build from.......what date ?

11. Apsencik

Apsencik

Rides stiff. Built in 2014.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. Apsencik

Apsencik

Would you keep the spring or coilovers ?

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

For zero money you can resize the kingpin. Its pretty easy to do. I got a nice dropped axle that was bent twice. Looked like a shallow S. A few minutes in the press and it looks great. Been on my 35 pickup for 22 years

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If that axle was bent in Oklahoma by 'Okie Joe' or Sid, better check for a bent spindle! Those guys are aces.
    (Hate to see their work go 'misunderstood' for a China Smith cast special!)

15. Apsencik

Apsencik

It was okie Joe. And the spindles are straight. Axle was bent wrong

16. Apsencik

Apsencik

It's getting replaced by a so cal or a p&j

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

you must have a lot of money to throw around. you can fix it at home for no cost

poboyross likes this.
  18. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Traditional= banjo and transverse spring.

19. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

If it's dropped wrong, Joe is the type of guy to fix it and make it right. I have one of his 5" drops and it's dead nuts. I'm not saying folks don't make mistakes, though. If you've got the money to spend, then do what trips your trigger. Time can most definitely be money, it most definitely is in my line of work.

If you don't want that Okie Joe axle, I'll pay shipping to my joint! I'm serious! :)

volvobrynk and cad-lasalle like this.
  20. When in doubt, add more..........SPRINGS!

21. My ex-wife had one of those!!

LSGUN, wraymen, dualquads and 6 others like this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A lot going on there and all wrong. For a start the wishbones need to point up and not down. Dismantle it all and do it right this time around.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. adam401

adam401

You got a lot of good stuff in one place there just looks like it needs to be sorted out. Good score.

BradinNC, volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  24. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Crikey there is some bad engineering in there. I'm with Adam good score just sort out all the bad stuff.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice looking coupe.

26. Looks like its a "grab-bag" of drive line angles too. Wow.

27. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

That rear end is amazing. Looks like someone started off with the right idea and then just kept bolting/welding stuff on. Weird. Shouldn't take too much to sort it out thought, looks like you have almost everything you need. you might want to give Joe a ring about the front axle. I've had two dropped by him both of them were spot on. I found him to be very helpful and easy to work with.
    Over all looks like a great start, not sure about the pistons as bumpers or the horn placement but you have a good starting point.

need louvers ? and volvobrynk like this.
  28. ...considering all the "bad", that's not a bad lookin car, with the rite corrections, you'll have a nice ride there, good luck.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

X2 on the Tardel book, buy it, read it, do it. Btw. lose the pistons on the front. Use a buggy spring and chuck the coil overs. My pops just got his a-v8 roadster going (built from the guidelines in Tardels book) and you cant belive how nice it rides with the buggy springs. Crummy picture of the roadster but thats all i have since its on the road.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and timwhit like this.
  30. A "modern" axle will look terribly out of place on that car.....just sayin'

Fix the one you have or if totally opposed to that axle; pick up another stock axle and send it to Anson or Joe to be dropped.