Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lets build a 327 to make 400hp

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jeremy Jalopies, Apr 24, 2016.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually that jogs my memory. The machine shop squared the block and I asked about the mains and he said they were real good and he had just touched them with a hone. he also said it took .003/4 to clean the deck; so I figured he should take .015 more instead of .020. Moral is : I should have had him check it since he had all the pieces by then.

To the OP; figure in the small stuff on those heads. 1. screw in studs 2. guides or guide liners 3. best valves you can afford 4. springs and good seals 5. if the valve seats are very deep you can install new seats that will reduce chamber volume a little. Also you can do some gasket matching on your manifold and heads and maybe some bowl work. Do some reading and some of this stuff just takes patience and time.

2. I think it all takes patience and time. LOL

If you are willing to play with it you can juggle rods around to get the pistons to come out as even as possible before cutting the decks. Or you can measure the rod centers and see how close they are to correct, sometimes you have to bush them to get them closer to the correct length.

You can play with all the journals to get the clearances spot on, you can CC combustion chambers, and the list is never ending.

Most of the time with just a little care it will be more than close enough.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Had a Pro st Vega in the 80s, 327+.30 10 to 1 comp,461 202 Fuelies,480 lift hyd cam,Victor Jr w/750 dp,Turbo 400 and 538 gears it was fun on the street!

4. mutant55

mutant55

Well in my opinion if your going to put any type of performance / lopey idle camshaft in any small block, you need to look at a minimum of pinning the studs, screw in studs preferably, and a set of roller tip rockers just to cut down on the friction cause you know your going to rev it up at least once in a while right? And I hate getting caught with my pants down and pulling a stud, or losing / bending a pushrod, It just gets worse from there. A little insurance goes a long way with me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

I have 93 octane here. I run it in my daily(due to turbo car) I run it in my truck with a 355. Still looking for opinions on the cam Isky recommended. I appreciate the other suggestions updating the post. Thx

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Call Bullet Racing Cams at (662)893-5670
    link here: http://www.bulletcams.com/

This is all we use in all the engines we build, their profiles and designs flat spank everything else we have replaced or tried.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I still like Isky cams. I don't have the specs but the old Isky revmaster solid cam was a great stick shift cam, as was the 505 cam. And I would never go past .030 on a 327 block without a sonic check. JMO Lippy

8. chopt31

chopt31

the local engine builder that does 100's of hp engines a year did my 327 several years ago
    it is .030 over 11.5 forged pistons 462 heads with 2.02 valves, ported, hyd cam, dynode with 2 intakes
    scorpion intake max hp was 389, with l79 factory intake it was 416, that's with racing fuel

Kelly Burns and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just finished one for the Produce truck.

A quick overview:
    327 .040 over flat top forged pistons
    SCAT 5.7 capscrew rods
    Bottom end all balanced
    decked it .015"
    Vortec 64cc heads 1.94/1.50
    Small Howards Hydraulic Roller Cam
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl110235-10/overview/
    1.5:1 Long Slot rocker arms
    Guide Plates
    Edelbrock RPM intake and an Edelbrock AVS Thunder 650 CFM Carburetor
    Pertronix HEI, Small cap
    In front of a 2004-R running a 3.55 rear gear with a 29" tall tire.
    Should be very streetable, plus will make for a good tow vehicle for the Fly.

joel likes this.