Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical front drop or lowering your model a (the Stance question)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gasolinedeniz, Jun 19, 2016.

1. So i gonna lowering my 30 coupe and wonder how much i should drop the front end? The main thing is i guess without frame modifications i cant lower the rear more then 3 inches if i am right ? Thinking about to going to use a model t rear spring and maybe remove one or two leaves . I guess i go with this one
    Medium Arch Transverse Rear Leaf Spring, Reverse Eye, 38 Inch
    Part # 91043105
    I wanna also put big an littles on it so if i go with a 4 inch dropped axle and a two inch posis superglide i will drop the front 6 plus the smaller tires. Anyone did the same and has maybe a picture of his car ? Or is it too much and i get a cartoonish look because of to much rake ?

2. So to be clear here (as you will get a lot of responses), no frame modifications right?
    With what you mentioned above, yes, a lot of rake. IMHO.
    With the T rear spring, do the axle, remove some leaves and the B&L's should work.
    By the way, I like the 7.00 16 rears over the 7.50's as they are lower and a bit wider.

John Heckman likes this.
  3. thats makes sense with the tires:) Yes no frame modifications!

4. 117harv

117harv

A 4 inch dropped axle doesn't lower the car 4 inches, it will get you a bit over 2 inches.

5. did not know that, thx

6. For clarification, is it because the total drop ends up 4" and you had about 1 3/4" to start with...?

7. okay, now i get it, thx

8. 6" is a ton without rubber rake unless you drop the rear a bunch.

I like a 4" drop axle and a few leaves removed from the stock rear spring with a rubber rake. If you bet too much drop in the front and not much in the rear it begins to look like a stink bug.

[​IMG]

9. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG] stock frame,reverse eye front stock rear,some springs removed,7.50 and 600 -16,stock front axle,mech brakes.

T-roaster, Blues4U and Firedome like this.
  10. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]rear crossmember moved back 7.5", no z,40 rear on 7 leaf a spring, reverse eye front with 4" socal axle,4.50-7.50-16.

5wcoupehunter, T-roaster and Jet96 like this.
  11. 4 inch dropped axle and reverse eye spring in the front. 7 leaf rear with reverse eye main rear. 5.50x17 and 7.50x17. No frame mods. It rubs a little on the front when pulling into drive ways with that tall of a tire.

1466369800149.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. apickup.jpg
    Got to chuckle. I am to be running one of my dad's old tube axles from the early '60s on my A sedan ('37 Style axle). Going to have to play with the spring to get it to set just right, its a 3.5" drop axle. Who knows that the hell he was thinking when he made those axles. o_O:confused::D

The pickup and the As that @Bader2 sit perfect in to my eye. Well the pickup is a little sideways. LOL

Here see if this don't help a little bit:

T-roaster and Hitchhiker like this.
  13. I like the idea with the 7.00 tires in the rear . I cant move the crossmember here in switzerland :-(

14. 7.00s and 6.00s or 5.00s is a good choice for rubber rake. If it snows there and you drive it I got a pair of 7.50x16 mud and snow tires (town and countries) here that you could snag on your way through town. ;)

if you opt for 5.00s in the front and 7.00s in the rear don't go crazy with the suspension.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it's Father's Day & Sunday, for today take the easy way to lower the front by letting some air out of the front tires

16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg 7.00 x 16 rear 5.50 x16 fronts

McTavish77 and V8-m like this.
  17. 4" dropped Super Bell with a Posies super slide with the second short leaf removed. The rear is just coil-overs and a Mopar 8&3/4 rear end. No frame mods except to notch the front for spring clearance. And the crossmember fabrication. 000820.JPG 000610.JPG 001360.jpg P2220223.JPG top2.jpg

T-roaster and catdad49 like this.
  18. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

all058.jpg 5.50x16 7.00x16

Attached Files:

• hank.jpg
      hank.jpg
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
    T-roaster likes this.
  19. 5.90x15 and 8.20x15. Axle 2-1/2" drop reverse eye front with a couple leaves out/on bottom. Reverse eye rear with a couple leaves out/on bottom.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    T-roaster likes this.
  20. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dang Russ , tires must be helium filled

21. I am guessing the photo is upside down on your setup. It is right side up on my Mac, but upside down on my iPad. I have been having that happen on my recent photo posts here. Don't know why.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's stance?:p

23. redoxide

redoxide

I cant find the post but there was a pic of a 30 coupe with perfect period stance. The builder fitted a 35 ford Front axle ( 1 1/2 inch drop over stock ) a reverse eye front spring ( anothedr 1 inch drop for the front) and a 27 T rear spring wich gave the rear end a whopping 3 inches for that single mod..

searched and searched but cant find the thread ... :(

24. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

As far as the front.. On mine I went with a mono leaf since the old stocker I reversed had no spring left to it.. Made it nice cause it comes with plates to space it either way so there is a lot of height adjustment you can get.. 3" drop on stock axle.. Running 550x16 in front cause I can't fit 600s they rub the fender braces..
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470421589.258760.jpg

Also had to notch the front part of the frame so spring wouldn't hit it since dropping it.

Back doesn't help much cause I cut it behind the cab stepped it and made it longer to support the bed.

T-roaster likes this.
  25. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

My avatar is just a rubber rake. 7.50X16 rear and MT90 Motorcycle tires on front close to 4.75-16. I will be doing a 4" drop axle and reverse eye spring and 1 leaf removed. rear will be Frankland quick change with Pete and Jakes ladder bars with coil overs.

T-roaster likes this.