Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A grille inserts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I'm trying to actually talk my father in law out of this idea but I need some pictures of Model A or other similar types grilles that have had an insert or some type of mesh installed over the radiator.

This is actually for his 30 Chevy but it's the same basic style as an A with an exposed radiator. Naturally they're less protected but I think, with that type of shell, they look much cleaner naked.

Show me what you've got; good, bad or ugly.

[​IMG]

Texas Webb likes this.
  2. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]you'd never know theres an aluminum rad underneath there.

3. Canuck

Canuck

Trying this out on mine, hope to protect the rad from stone damage.
    20160220_112211.jpg
    So far doesn't seem to be having a impact on cooling.

Canuck

poboyross likes this.
  4. ^^ I like that a lot, I made one out of #4 stainless mesh to also stop my radiator core from whistling......didn't work but will stop bugs and stones, they are a good idea. JW

5. A Chevy with a Flathead,thats balls.Fine looking coupe.

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Webb-Thanks. Dare to be different. It's what happens when a 70 year old Ford guy buys his first Chevy.

Hiboy-???

7. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

This is of great interest to me as I live in the Southeast USA (FL) and we have Love Bug season in which a pair of mated bugs fly around by the millions, and they love the roadways for some reason. They will clog a naked rad. in just a few miles. I am building a 29 A RPU and need a good insert other than screen door material. What sources are out there?

8. be creative......or, spray your rad with RAID!

9. If you go with grill you want something simple...Here it is with a 32 Chevy insert
    32 insert.jpg

10. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Hey thanks Moose! That's the one I was looking at IF we go that route. Personally I still like it without. I may revisit this with you as the build gets closer to completion. Maybe once we get the fenders and light bar & lights on it, the insert will grow on me.

11. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Gary- That's pretty slick actually. I love your peaked axle. I'm going to go back and read how you did it but you must have a LOT of patience!

I think on ours, whether it's something like what you did or a fancy insert like the 32 Chevy Moose showed, I think it would look better if the shell was body colored. I have another shell just for that. Maybe that's what my problem is with it. It needs contrast. Either shiny shell/black radiator or black shell/shiny insert.

12. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

[​IMG]

For those who are wondering, this is the 32 Chevy insert material. Pretty but $$$$!

13. Here is the Ravens when it is clean.

[​IMG]

And this is what it normally look like.
    [​IMG]

my experience is that most people don't get up close and personal with a car if you have one that you drive. Show cars now that is a different story. His is just expanded metal that he bought at the hardware store.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Refrigerator rack... 50\'s show rod 009.JPG 100_0248.JPG

poboyross and Just Gary like this.
  15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is stainless steel shaker screen with a 1/4" rod around the edge image.jpeg

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

This is hard to see, but it's heavy gauge expanded sheet metal with a million holes in it. I think you could bounce a brick off this stuff!
    Running a Ford 302 behind a stock Model A radiator, it worked great.
    Biggest problem was I bought it direct from the manufacturer and had to buy a 4x8 sheet for $60.( which I cut up and sold or gave to other people.) Still cheaper than a new radiator! August 2008 224.jpg

17. Woven stainless steel mesh (maybe .065 wire) from the McMaster-Carr catalogue. Lots of wire sizes and opening sizes to choose from.

18. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Yeah, I've looked at the mesh in the McMaster-Carr bible. You guys are coming up with too nice of ideas! Remember, I'm trying to talk my father in law OUT of this .

Maybe I could make a screen that clips on for traveling.

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Nice thing about most of what's been offered is it's barely noticeable. I painted mine flat black and like magic it's gone! (almost).
    The worst thing is the one they sell in the restorer catalogs- looks like you drove through a chrome chain link fence !

20. LOL ain't that the truth. :D :D :D

@scrap metal 48 I really like the refrigerator rack. Looks good. ;)

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

#4 stainless steel mesh made into an insert and mounted inside the shell . Details in my build thread.
    20160619_132540.jpg

dalesnyder likes this.
  22. What the heck we might as well take a look at that combo too....

32 insert black.jpg

23. poboyross likes this.
  24. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

2016-06-19 20.35.20.jpg 2016-06-19 20.40.53.jpg

I made this from a screen door grille that I picked up at the hardware store. If it can protect a screen door from a dog it should be able to keep a few stones out of a radiator.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  25. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Oh, I kinda like that. See, it was a contrast thing. I like it with a black shell regardless of whether it has an insert or not.

Thanks Moose!