Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Air shock question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Brodie, Jun 18, 2016.

1. 55Brodie

55Brodie

For my 62 Impala. ...does anyone know of a source for a brass or other metal Schrader valve fill tee?

2. funk 49

funk 49

[​IMG]Imperial supply sells all sorts of brass and d.o.t. air fittings.
    Funk 49

3. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Thanks Funk, but it needs to be a tee with threads that fit the 1/8" nylon shock fill line connectors.

4. Sporty45

Sporty45

5. funk 49

funk 49

Exactly what I was getting at. There are multiple style brass blocks and fittings. I can't do all the homework without seeing the equation.
    Funk 49

6. 55Brodie

55Brodie

[QUOTE="funk 49, post: 11575283, member: 130032"Exactly what I was getting at. There are multiple style brass blocks and fittings. I can't do all the homework without seeing the equation.
    Funk 49[/QUOTE]
    I'm quite capable of doing my own homework. You obviously have never seen an air shock (not air bag) setup.

7. badshifter

badshifter

8. funk 49

funk 49

I was trying to help,not start a pissing match. Depending upon how you need to mount this set up, if it is all 90 degree, push in or compression, There are multiple ways of doing this,and I was trying to direct you to a place with enough selections for you to get started and make your own choices. As far as knowing the difference between air shocks and air bags, I believe my '55 chevy truck has air shocks,and my Freightliner has air bags.
    Funk 49

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The shock mounts on cars are just like everything else on them, manufacturer designed to the strength for the USE FOR WHICH THEY WERE DESIGNED, and very little more. In 60 plus years of working on hot rods and just plain cars, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times I've seen and often repaired the damaged mounts and brackets designed for shocks and then overstressed with air shocks.
    If you're trying to do a low rider, do it the right way with hydraulics and properly built brackets and related. If you're just needing additional load capacity, get stiffer springs, or air bags intended to use with the springs. You'll save yourself damage in the long run.

H380 likes this.
  10. Sporty45

Sporty45

Great attitude for people who are trying to help. :rolleyes:

clem, funk 49 and H380 like this.
  11. I'm making popcorn.

clem likes this.
  12. [QUOTE="funk 49, post: 11575310, member: 130032". As far as knowing the difference between air shocks and air bags, I believe my '55 chevy truck has air shocks,and my Freightliner has air bags.
    Funk 49[/QUOTE]
    Unless your 55 has Gabriel Hi Jackers on it..it DOES NOT have air shocks..more than likely just plain old oil filled hyd shocks.

13. You can buy them in copper for commercial refrigeration. They will hold more pressure than you will ever throw at a set of air shocks.

Personally unless they are on a pickup truck I like to run mine separate. That way I can preload my chassis the way I want to.

Anyway you can find what you want from the refrigeration industry.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like individuals or one line on each shock I keep them at a recommended 20#. I remember 64-5 El Caminos having one Schrader valve on the tray behind the seat. I have installed mine right at the rear license plate ez to air, the plastic line and fittings came with my kit but were the same as the one we had at the power plant where I worked. Line was good for 250# and we used it at 130. The plastic line was Eastman. Used properly air shocks are a plus to me. Mounting any shock to a body floor even reinforced is just stupid. They need a frame to frame cross frame or off the frame. Good Luck.

15. go single lines. as you go around a corner with the t line air goes to the opposite side of the compressed shock. this causes a lot of body roll. its a uncomfortable and unsafe ride.

16. 55Brodie

55Brodie

17. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Okay, truce everyone. I must be getting crabby in my old age, but when you ask what time is it and you get told how to make a watch, it kind of gets to you.
    The car is not a lowrider. I just got it 5 months ago and am working on knocking off the barnacles. The shocks are like new but at some point the brass fill valve tee got the Schrader valve's head scrubbed off. It was/is mounted on the lower rear bumper flange pointing down. I will have no need to separately inflate the shocks. I will probably never run more than 20psi in the shocks.
    Thanks to all.

18. thunderplex

thunderplex

pat59 likes this.
  19. DSmoke

DSmoke

When I did air ride on my bike I got all my brass DOT fitting at the local truck supply shop. I am located in a heavy trucking/warehouse area. I also think that my Gabrieles came with a plastic T with a schrader valve, here is one:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ytCIA-wlok5GRd8nLqKcpOJiV5kODam-MMaAkUy8P8HAQ

Interesting comment above about the T, I am now curious about the air going to the other shock, never thought about that.