Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What belt size do I need?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tedsgoldmine, Jun 17, 2016.

1. I have a stock 1946 engine in my 1939 Standard coupe. I've bought an Offenhauser offset generator mount for the drivers side head. Can anyone tell me what size belt I'll need to order for this application?

With thanks

Gavin

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, you could run a piece of string around your pulleys, measure the string and do a net search on The Gates website and find a match. Worked for me.

3. Thanks, have done that and took it to the speed shop, put it on the gauge and got a measurement but I am hoping that someone here can offer the correct measurement of the one they are running in like set up to cross reference.

4. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

What size are your pants?

OLSKOOL32 and LOU WELLS like this.

5. I used a piece of old power cord to get a measurement for the belt in my Ford. Looked up lengths on a Dayco site, got 2 belts at NAPA and found that they will both work.

6. squirrel

squirrel

There are no V belts locally available in Brisbane? wow

7. Lots of belts here Jimmy, they all cater for the modern cars, 11 & 13mm, the rest need to be ordered in. I am just trying to save a few dollars Jimmy, like most people do, and only order in what I need...no point paying for 2nd and 3rd shorter or longer belts now is there...the rope method in the pulley is not entirely accurate...maybe you can help Jimmy, do you run a flat head in the configuration I mentioned at the top? What length belt do you run?

Gavin

8. 46' long, boot cut...does this help?

9. squirrel

squirrel

I've learned that I have to measure for every belt that I buy. The one I order is never the right size. And I agree that the rope method does not work well. I have a very long belt, that I cut, so I can wrap it around the pulleys, and mark where it overlaps one end. Then I measure it. Works right every time.

54vicky likes this.
  10. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

11. squirrel

squirrel

I should add that before I measure, I adjust the adjustment so it's 2/3 of the way to the longest belt position. So I can get the belt on, and then have some adjustment left to get it tight.

54vicky likes this.
  12. If you didn't have an old belt to cut that was sufficiently long, you might try a length of rubber hose. Maybe something with an O.D. of 1/2" or 3/8". I think the point Jim is trying to make is that you'll get a more accurate measurement than using something with a smaller diameter that fits too low in the "V" of the pulley.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Run a sting around your waist, then measure it. Go down to the local men's wear department and try some on :D
    If they don't have any that fit try Jenny Craig :D

ClayMart likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You might want to edit that. Or you're a REALLY big dude.:eek: While you're doing that, here's a handy video!

Never mind. That won't help you. But, and please don't take this personal, sometimes this Hot Rod stuff calls for getting off our asses and doing a little leg work. I've made multiple trips to the parts store to get what I need. It's part of the game, man. If you didn't have the internet or the HAMB, what would you do? Sell the car?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    54vicky likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd measure it the way Jim suggested in post 9 and 11 and then go to an industrial power and motion store rather than the parts house. something on the line of Applied motion https://www.applied.com/?page_id=5869 You might also check AG equipment suppliers as tractors and other farm equipment may run belts similar in with to the flathead belts.

The stock belt is 3/4 x 54-1/4. Gates TR24538 or CONTINENTAL 28373 That might give you a couple of numbers to work from inch wise.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  16. Hose is certainly a better idea ClayMart.
    Mental note Jimmy, I'll buy a super long 3/4 inch belt for next time.

Thanks Mr 48, I found an industrial power store who is a Gates supplier about 30mins across town...unfortunately they did not have a 3/4 belt long enough in stock but I grabbed another that does the job for now...although it is I think about an inch too long overall.

Gavin