Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Remote full flow oil filters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jun 14, 2016.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Have a nice '40 Ford coupe that I bought and really like just about everything and since I'm approaching 79 years old, I bought rather than start a build I might never be able to finish!
    Has a SBF (Windsor), and due to other changes the oil filter is in a very tight spot, so the builder used a very small filter. In fact, it's the same filter as Ford now uses on many of it's 4 cylinder engines, and the can is only about 3" long and the same OD. There is NO room for a larger filter in the OEM location.
    A filter this small isn't to my liking as to flow capacity or capacity to hold particles and I want to go to a remote for room to use a full size filter.
    Anybody have any good or bad experiences with any particular setup on going to a remote? Years ago I installed a dual remote on my OT Duramax diesel that uses a huge bypass filter plus a much larger than OEM full flow. But there ain't near that much room under this car, LOL!

2. I have used remotes on several cars and trucks in the past. I think one of them I used was made by Trans Dapt. Never had any problems , they worked very well, and made filter changes painless.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used them on my GMC 6's for years. As for the adapter on the block and the remote one I try not to use any 90* fittings. I like the sweeps. I also look inside the filter adapter and grind the sharp edges. Any hard 90* lowers oil pressure. Good Luck.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

Good ideas from jimmy six. I have used many remotes over the years on EarlyHemi engines and never had a problem. I like to use Aeroquip fc-332 hose and a push-on fitting. They won't leak and don't require a clamp...very clean look. Do not use any 90° fitting as they cause a lot of restriction and, I'd recommend '-8' as a minimum hose size. Try to keep the hose to 48" or less.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

C5TE 6384-A Ford filter adaptor, basicaly bolts in place of stock filter and filter then screws on horizontally hugging the block..Maybe from a truck application..

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^Ford Motorsports offers a 90* adapter....may be the same as referenced above. I was going to recommend the same. I have used the remote style a few times out of necessity, but prefer the type referenced here for your application. No hoses, takes up less room.

Ray

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Olscrounger turned me on to this set up on 40's. It works great, although mines got an SBCin it instead of an SBF, it would be similar. Mounts inside of left front fender to frame rail. Make sure to use good blue push lok hose or equivalent. image.jpg Edit: Man she's dirty under there.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I can see advantages to both setups, and the same for disadvantages.
    Unfortunately life interfered today and I didn't even make it to the shop today. Maybe tomorrow I can get over and take a looksee.
    Will the angle type work both to left and right, space permitting?
    Thx for the info. .I just don't like that damn "peanut" filter.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes the angle type will rotate to any angle to suit..

11. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I did one on a small block Corvette, 283, and after everything was mounted, hoses connected, did not have any oil pressure at the gauge. Never did figure it out. The motor ran and ran but without any oil pressure. Must of had some pressure, because the motor never locked up. Reason for the change, was because the old style filter can was in the way of the headers.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yikes - hope headers were worth it

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Some early ford 300s came with a 90 degree adapter.