Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Law Defying Hot Rod Coverage

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

M-53 & 23 Mile Rd. The bridge was out for several months because some nitwit forgot to put the BOOM DOWN after loading the crane on the trailer. DUH!

2. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Sorry about the rabbit trail, Ryan.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

@Ryan
    Thank you for sharing the footage. That was awesome! Some people take things way too seriously.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. S.F.

S.F.

This whole thing reminds me of that one time you had the front engine dragster on the street

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ferris Bueller once said something like this:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I've always agreed with that... But I also feel like if you don't take risks and move a little faster than should sometimes, you aren't really living.

dig1.jpg

dig3.jpg

dig2.jpg

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Don`t know what all the fuss is about.People have been flying RC aircraft since about the mid 20`s.There are some current RC aircraft that are topping 250 MPH REAL speeds not scale speeds.Those are powered by true pure jet or turbine engines.Cost of some of those engines start at 10k each.Ryan.Loved the video.Sorry about the crash.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup.

8. S.F.

S.F.

HA! yeah. that.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ahh, the great philospher Ferris Bueller.....

So, tell me about this dragster Holmes.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. TRuss

TRuss

A very few people were flying RC in the very late 30s early 40s. It grew over the decades almost always being done by those insured by the AMA and at sanctioned club fields. It's been that way until recent history with people who simply don't know any better flying in dangerous or illegal places. As a result the FAA has decided to step in and start regulating model aircraft similarly to the real ones. The problem is that most of the people causing the problem are unaware of the problem they have caused while the people who have been doing the right for all of those years pay the price. I was thinking Ryan may have been a part of that group. I was wrong and I apologize. As for the 200mph turbines, those require special certification to operate and are operated in specific private club fields that can contain them. That's the fuss in a nutshell. That's what I was talking about when I messed this whole thread up. I hope that it can get back on track now.

11. Looks like it was between you and the Boss and its been settled already. he's actually a pretty forgiving fella trust me I know.

So it is a cool vid, I personally think that black and white would have been better. Uh it is color isn't it.:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Old&Low

Old&Low

13. Old&Low

Old&Low

Where I come from if it doesn't break windows 40 miles away, it's not worth talking about!

46international likes this.
  14. TRuss

TRuss

He's a class act. No question.

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

PROBLEM? Problem?
    I don't see not stinkin' problem

Ccccan't buy a drone, can't buy a drone, no drones on the salt,,,,, arrrggggg

16. So tell me would that put you on a no fly list of just a no buy list. :confused::)

Texas57 likes this.
  17. Old&Low

Old&Low

If you can't pay the freight, all that's left is to tailGATE.

18. Old&Low

Old&Low

Hey 'Beaner,' never met you but I thought you'dve died by now! Come to think of it, I thought I would've too! Good to be here.

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

Tman likes this.
  20. texdesoto

texdesoto

21. Trust me I have tried as hard as anyone to get that done. I guess I must owe a big price for something I done in a previous life. :eek: :D

By the way I am damned proud that you are here too.

22. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Darn kids and there hotrods uh err drones.

23. Better to own a drone than to be one.

autobilly and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Bluedot

Bluedot

Great video, and a great narrative to go with it, but I wanna know "the rest of the story". Looks like when the drone stopped moving, it was still hung up on that wire. How did you retrieve it without gettin' zapped, or at least risk gettin' zapped?

25. You want to be extremely careful around power lines... Besides the mentioned $100K appliance buy, I know of two other incidents that proved to be costly to the at-fault party. One was a birthday party balloon (one of the aluminized shiny ones) that got away and drifted up to the transformer serving a neighbors house (luckily just that house). The balloon shorted between the low voltage and high voltage terminals. While the balloon evaporated instantly, the ionized air it left behind allowed the short to continue for a brief instant (until a cutout cleared it), putting 7200 volts into the house. Damage included the meter (which they never found!) and meter base, the house power panel, every appliance with a clock or remote control (stuff with a remote is never really 'off'), blew a bedroom light fixture off the ceiling, two table lamps that were on went off like roman candles scorching the ceiling, and a couch cleaning (where the wife was sitting when this happened... LOL). Cost to the party-givers homeowners insurance was north of $10K. Saw another very similar incident, only a drunk hit the pole in front of the owners house. Again, about $10K in damages... to just the house.

Got drone insurance? Somehow I don't think your auto or homeowners would cover this...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Gr8laker likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey man, why do they call you "Crazy" Steve? :)

Tman likes this.
  27. Numerous incidents in my youth, usually involving cars or motorcycles... LOL. Although this was the late 60s, so it wasn't totally confined to those.... :eek:. Although I always thought I was fine, but there are many who will dispute that... and I still manage to surprise now and then even today... LOL. Older and wiser, eh?...

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but as a retired electrical worker, I'm very much aware of the dangers of electrical power, particularly high voltage. High voltage is not always predictable, and it's very unforgiving. I'd hate to see you get yourself into serious trouble or god forbid, injure or kill somebody.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  28. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.

29. Well now.....see.....that's why we STILL don't have flying cars.:D But I'm waitin'......

30. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This whole thing makes me proud. Now, How did I miss the dragster on the street thing?? AWESOME.