Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Clem Waske 29 Roadster #265B

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cyclone Kevin, May 20, 2016.

1. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Yes sir! Our daughter Elizabeth Ann was born 3 weeks ago today on May 18th. She's very chill, which makes her 2 year old sister seem extra berserk. We are "adjusting", haha!

I can't see how anyone in the Club would object to a car like this wearing a plaque cause it seems like this thing is gonna be extremely LEGIT with history on top of it.

Anyhow, Christian and I will be trucking it to LARS next Saturday so we'll probably bump into you out there. Thinking of checking out Waldon's open house on Friday, too, if the Old Man will let me check out early.

:cool:

Outback, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

PS: Here's the humble beginnings I started with. Where there's a will, there's a way!

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

:cool:

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I seem to remember those humble beginnings, you did a helluva job on that T, I remember my ride in it,stellar.

Congrats on Elizabeth Ann, how kool!!! It's almost time for you to build a tub to fit the family in. :D.

Not sure if the was a meeting scheduled last night as I didn't get an email from Dave. I think that both he and Jim Miller went to TROG over the weekend and got back yesterday???

Hope to see ya over next weekend, gonna try getting that frame looking nicer, but I know that it's gonna take a while.

Keep in touch Dennis and I'm sending a shout out to Katie. We'll talk soon.
    Kevin

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Cutting off more metal today, this stuff is thick, wish that it would had nicer, I might had just repurposed it. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I think that you get the picture, "back to the old grind" literally....:D

volvobrynk and 1-SHOT like this.
  5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just proves the previous owner had access to a cutting torch and stick welder.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I hear that, only wish that he had access to a grinder:D:).

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. oj

oj

Good of you to show it in a realistic mannor, many would try to hide the 'warts'. We build to the state of the art today but I wonder what our restorers will think of our work a hundred years from now when they'll be able to formshape steel and even entry level hobbiests will have CNC capabilites with plasma steel printers. It shouldn't be embarrasing to us that we are cutting out what was state of the art.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Agreed and point well taken, who knows what the future holds for period Hot Rod enthusiasts????

9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

At least be glad the PO wasn't a good welder!

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

But the guy who did the arc welding on the brackets in the last pic was a little better than the others as he really put it on thick, gonna have to throw it in the bed of the Dakota and take it over to Cook's so I can torch that stuff off.

Dale,
    Did ya get a chance to find the Tom Vandenberg pix? Curious to see what his looked like.

CK.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

12. oj

oj

I can sympathize, somewhere under this mess there might be a frame rail I can salvage. Probably not, but I have to peel thru it anyway. Peeling back the layers is what we have to do, I can't just lop it off and replace even though it is what I'm sure will happen. DSC00100.JPG

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

As I, for the Ray Charles image I. LMAO!!!!!!

The frame image is something that I can totally relate to. The picture that I posted on the ground is after I removed a bunch of metal that was in the front rail area covering all of the steering box holes on the left and bones brackets R/L . It was a mess!!!! Even scarier than how it looks now…...

Heck I think It looks a lot better than when I started :D.

Ran the frame to Cook's after looking over, they were a little nervous about putting too much heat to it. image.jpg
    Got keep working on it, still in the truck till tomorrow ;).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Not yet. I will try and if I'm lucky, I'll bring them to LARS.

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Kool, call me on my cell when you're walking around. Can't wait to see them. Missed Mike Tuesday, not at Taco Tuesday.....must be out of town again.

16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

All joking aside I use a scarfing tip, it lays flat on the parent metal to cut the weld out and not damage it. Practice on some scrap and you will get the hang of it. If you practice you can cut one piece of sheet metal off another one just have to watch and hold it flat.
    Norton makes the best cut off wheels, they will outlast everyone else's. That's my experience after 60+ years of doing it. image.jpeg image.jpeg

volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'll have to acquaint myself with those tips.
    Thx literally for the tip.
    CK

Stogy likes this.
  18. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

Kevin, I worked with Clem for a short time at a hardware store called Handyman, in La Mesa. He did all the little signs for the different departments in the store, I ran a printing press and did all the forms, flyers and company rule books. I also went to high school with his son at Helix High in La Mesa. Clem was quite a character and kept us laughing a lot. It is great to see you re-creating his lakes car, I will be subscribed to follow along with the build. Next time you see 'Doc' tell him Lee Campbell said hello, He wouldn't know me by my real first name Malcolm.

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ok, was a rough day, hopefully I'll get those off tomorrow. Did grind more of the remnants of past brackets near the k-member mounting holes, I'm happy to get that off, under that was a 7/16" ID washer and of course a crack from one of the many non/factory drilled holes...

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

image.jpg
    Wow,
    That's great!!!! I'd love to hear all of the stories, Doc is a trip, he is part of this build and since we spoke, he calls for his update, Doc's cousin owns a clutch shop in El Cajon and is doing a flathead clutch for the car, so I'm trying to keep it all in the Waske family.
    I think Doc's camping in San Onofre right now, so when he rings I'll tell him that you commented.
    PM me if you get a moment.
    Thx,
    CK

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well went for a field trip today out to Chino and then Norco, used to be Cowpoke land over yonder, but no longer . Just looking like a bunch if stucco.......

We'll not a whole lot of progress on the frame today, but I looked at some parts that I have for it's power train. image.jpg
    This could be engine that ends up in there or maybe this one.
    image.jpg
    And this Trans image.jpg
    I had the engine with heads in this for several yrs. image.jpg
    Took it out to get this finally on the road in 2013/14.
    I've had that engine on the starting stand for a few years now, so possibly I'll set it up for heads and intake as well.
    Looking forward to that first ride in the CW AV8R.

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey there, C K, your tracking # is 1Z2R8E230304980218. Really looking forward to October.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thx Gary,
    Will look for them in the mail.
    Looking forward to seeing you in Oct.
    CK

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

image.jpg Was working on the frame today, not much in way of pix, really just making templates for filling the torched out holes where the engine is supposed to bolt to.

Was showing a young gun (David) some pix of Hot Rods and came across a picture that I'd seen many times in having this book, "The Birth Of Hot Rodding"which was written by a Carlsbad Oiler Don Cox and writer Robert Genat.

This car sure did look an awfully lot like Clem's, so I emailed it to Doc, he replied that his dad worked at a machine shop right where that picture was taken.
    He and I both looked at the pix and looked at the Carbs,Windshield an split bones. He thought that this was shot in 1945-6.

This address is not very far from where Clem, lived and where Doc has always lived. Its a good bet that this is right about the time Clem was just beginning to continually change this car.

I've never seen a color pic of the car, so that's pretty kool to see.
    Will hit it pretty hard after LARS.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  26. Looks like he painted his brakes red and also look real close I see a padded dash. Dash matches the top of the seat and doors. Cool picture Kevin keep at it. See you in a couple days.

Outback likes this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gary,
    Received the brackets today, they're pretty kool!!!! I like that style,
    Another friend had some old chromed bones, it's weird because the looked short side by side, but when I put them up to the area where they mount, they looked just right like in the pix.
    Thanx for being a part of this build.
    Here's pix of the plates and the one that were on the Clem Waske 29., Doc's gonna love em!
    CK. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

AHotRod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ALLRIGHT ! I really love that "patina".

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Looking for a chopped grille/insert w/crank hole and radiator fill and ornament. Anybody have one or know where I can pick one up that looks just like this one ? image.jpg

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@Cyclone Kevin speedway sells a shortened 32 grill shell and insert