Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 29 roadster redo. From Rat to Track!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pat, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Excellent work & attention to detail. HRP

2. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

The "Rat" thing is kind of a joke. Most on here remember the term used pretty often 15 years ago for anything unfinished! Mainly the uninformed. Reeps sold the truck several years ago to someone in Arizona? Never saw it after that.

Baumi likes this.
  3. adam401

adam401

Your metal work is outta control! Awesome roadster. I remember seeing this in Rodders Journal in the first incarnation and it was the craziest car I had ever seen

4. Pat your roadster is awesome and comes up from time to time in conversations with friends! The RJ with your car and Reeps pickup was the first issue I bought and the one that convinced me to try and build myself a Hotrod. I must have read that article a hundred times! My wife and I went to the first Santa Maria show and I was so happy to see your roadster there in person! Thanks for posting this and keep up the inspirational work!!

Mike

5. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice nose and it gets better form there back. Roger

6. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Pat your roadster has been such an inspiration, your roadster and the Reeps pickup influenced me so much. I have both copies of the TRJ magazine. I always always go back and re-read the article and drool over the photos. The exhaust pipes, your Oxygen tank, the Inline 6, the baremetal, blackwall tires man your car was it and always has been. Well enough blowing you haha, let's see more photos, so glad you're posting an update on your roadster.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is some nice metal work. Thanks for sharing the details of it as all too often we see nifty cars with no inkling of what goes into building them.

8. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm not a fan of headlights on track noses so I made my kingbees removable. The linkage on the firewall runs down to the rails then to the stands. A pin holds them in place. The pin on the bell crank locks into the tab on the firewall to hold the pins open for removal and install.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    kiwijeff, UNSHINED 2 and Okie Pete like this.
  9. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

The final resting place of the grill and the homemade Hallock. The Pallock? image.jpeg

10. Not gonna lie, I'm always all over this car whenever I see it out somewhere.

greaser_Paul27 likes this.
  11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

As always Pat, your work is a tribute to your talents and sense of styling.

Thanks for sharing it with us mere mortals.

ChuckleHead_Al likes this.
  12. Gofannon

Gofannon

Damn, I like both versions. I've had a pic on the wall of my garage for years as inspiration for my jimmy powered T, I guess I'll be updating it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

I kinda feel like it's an end to an era. -bittersweet.

14. Neat & effective solutions, and still evolving (in a great way). Inspiring build, as has been for a long time.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

15. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

DAMN NICE WORK THERE ! !

16. stingbean

stingbean

What issue of The Rodder's Journal had your roadster in it? I don't have a subscription and definitely want to buy that back issue so I can see more of this car!

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

always liked your car and it's even better with the track nose. you really can't do it justice in pictures, every little bit seems to be hand crafted. an ex friend and I were looking at it at a show many moons ago and I commented on all the little details and bracketry and what not saying how cool it was and he said all that was just a waste of time. of course everything he did was shit and probably still is.

keep up the good work.:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Haha that's funny! It is my time to waste, not anybody else's!!!

pat59, Paul, whodatsCJ7 and 2 others like this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Pat.Great fab skills.A take off on the where there`s a will there`s a way.Where theres a will,there`s a relative.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Pat likes this.
  20. HotRodHeb

HotRodHeb

Here are some pics I took of your roadster at the 2004 Stranger's car show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Pat, T-roaster and 2 others like this.
  21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very nice job. Hat's off. Gary

22. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

http://www.roddersjournal.com/shop/issue-26/

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ditto! Shades of Whitey Clayton, what a huge difference! When I saw this in TRJ, I was kinda lukewarm, but the nose, bellypan and hood take it to another level. I REALLY like the hood latch mechanism.
    Maybe TRJ should re-visit this one, its a whole different deal now.

24. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Big thanks for the Whitey Clayton reference! I feel he probably had the best sense of style and proportion of that era. And he did it with even less tools than I have. I read he didn't use bucks or an English wheel. My wheel sure helps smooth out the walnuts faster than just hammer and dolly!

kidcampbell71 and falcongeorge like this.
  25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

They've done it before with 34 coupe that one of the guys who owns TRJ has rebuilt, so why not revisit this one now?

always liked the bare metal features in the mag too, so this one double fits in!!! ;-)

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Thanks for all the comments! I'll try to post more step by step stuff. I've haven't done that much in the past. You get caught up in a idea and forget everything else! I've got a homemade English wheel built from a eBay kit with chromoly wheels that I call the Awful Tower 2. Von Dutch's louver press being #1! Sand bag and lots of hammers. H.F. Beverly sheer copy and a H.F. planishing hammer, but that thing can do more damage than good if your not careful! And several GOOD Wyss tin snips. I've tried many and I think Wyss are the best. I just can't justify the cost of a Pullmax or good planishing hammer for something that's my hobby. It just takes longer without them.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    falcongeorge likes this.
  27. stingbean

stingbean

28. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Niekamp 29 image.jpeg Eddie Dye 29 image.jpeg Kurtis "Jewel Box" midget image.jpeg image.jpeg June 1956 Motor Life image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm a big reader. Miller, Kurtis, Kuzma, Sparks, Watson, Dreyer, Deidt, Lesovsky and a bunch others. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at those shops!I read as much as I can find on them. I get a lot of ideas from books I read. Double fuel cap and nose influences.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you made your own wing nut for the gas cap! don't you have an Orchard Supply Hardware store near your house?

30. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Haha! More time wasted according to our buddy!

Fly'n Kolors and 49ratfink like this.