Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Clem Waske 29 Roadster #265B

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cyclone Kevin, May 20, 2016.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

image.jpg Here is one of the rear. It's kinda hard to really see this from an I-Phone 4 . That's how I'm posting these.

I'm not too sure if this is Clem's, 29,
    But I like a lot of the style it had.
    image.jpg
    This one for sure though is his below image.jpg This pic shows the changes to the cowl/doors in the above image, the lower image is with the cowl-doors intact about 1945.
    image.jpg
    Clem's wife as a Car Hop...
    image.jpg
    And Clem as a young gun with even younger gun in arms image.jpg
    And Clem in 1992 still messing with flattys. image.jpg

Sorry Bruce, really couldn't find any of the inside/dash area. His son "Doc" brought over a bunch if items for me to view . It was mind boggling!!!
    He's going to look for more. What a great family!!! Doc's wife is a gear head too ;).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Great photos CK, thanks for sharing them

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bruce,
    We talked about it over the phone, he just got back to S.D. now. I took him for a ride in the 34, and his wife in the OHV 32, When they're around again, It'll be the Flatty 32, then we all can work on the 29 to make him apart of the build as well. You're idea is a Great one!!!

I only wish that I'd contacted him 19 yrs ago when I got the body, but heck I didn't know a thing about it or who owned it then. So now it's time to really get to work on making this build happen, Now I'll I need is an original K-Member and a Model A rear Cross Member so I can work on the chassis. I may have to make all of this again if I can't find it. Any ideas????

Thx,
    Kevin

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

No Problem Mark,
    You've been here and seen the body for years, Isn't cool to be able to see what it was in the past. I hope Jimmy B is looking in as well, perhaps he's seen that 32 before. That sucker is the Kats Meow and you know how many Kats we have!!!!!
    Hey Can I use your rear x-member that's been @ Oscar's for awhile ;).
    Thx,
    CK.

5. I know a painter that can donate some paint skills to that piece of history there.:oops:

6. Kevin I know I have seen a picture of this low 32 before I remember the drawing of the goat and the words smokey jr on the passenger cowl. I want to say it was here on the hamb in the 49s period correct thread or from jimmy bs collection maybe I will look into it again and try and figure out where I have seen it. And your right that is a bada$$ standing car. Low and good looking. I wonder how well it went down the roads of the 40s though... Was it bouncing all around or did it ride like a Cadillac... Or hell even a Packard in those days..

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

We'll have to find that image, Give me a ring when you get a moment, I'm going to really that need painter ;). Stovebolt gave me the Go-Ahead on the rear x-member so I'll work that A-section onto the drop down part of the rear center, so I can run the QC. The other thing needed is a K-member, I bet you can find one….. You have the best skills ever for Tin Hunting and you don't even need a Hunting license ;).

I wonder if I could get it together by TROG-West. Boy, That'd be something………
    As for that Deuce Roadster , Here's another shot. That lil guy who's now 72 doesn't seem like the ride is too rough ;). image.jpg image.jpg
    Below is the current example of a "Doane Clone" that's Cyclone QC and Speed Equipped. It sits right at its wells also. IMG_2781.PNG That car was advertised for $105k in Hemmings a while ago. It is also a very kool rod. (By the looks of it I'd say that Doane got his idea for lowering his roadster from Clem's since this was about 1945-46 a full 5-6 years before Doane took his off the road for the Mexican Road Race that he didn't continue the build for as it was cancelled, he went out and bought a 55 Bird and made a pretty damn nice fowl!!!!) ;).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    kidcampbell71, Stovebolt and Stogy like this.
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well I decided to get the frame out to see just what I have to do to it.
    It's a lot uglier than I remember and that's after I cut off nasty slag brackets for the split bones.

Here's a shot image.jpg
    And another couple,
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    She's a rough one........ Boy do I have my work cut out for me or what??????

Outback, Stovebolt and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. bct

bct

That's a bit of a project.

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yup, sure is, 84 yrs. of an extremely hard life with too many hack-gineers….. Have the rear cross member from an A bone to graft into the drop down area so the center doesn't go above the rivet height on the tops of the side rails. Now I'll I've got to get is a K-member or the center x from a 33-34 to graft into that whacked frame. Luckily the front horns get chopped off so that isn't any big deal.

The left rail has a whole extra steering box mounting area, so the 2nd one will definitely get filled, any hole that shouldn't be there will be filled. Yes, It looks like hell right now, but we'll see if I can make it look a lot better.;):D.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Stogy likes this.
  11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another great History lesson from Sou. Cal. Hey, Bud, we talked a while back about Elmer's exploits with his roadster decades back. I was wondering if you would call me at your leisure. I want to talk to you about the Pasadena Roadster Club. I am retired, so feel free to call anytime. My cell is 210-414-4831. Thanks a lot. Gary Addcox

paintslinger805 likes this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Cool story. Looking forward to this.

13. Bader2

Bader2

Great historical car kev! Get after it!

14. I wonder what elmer he's talking about:rolleyes: Maybe my grandpa....;)

Outback and Stogy like this.
  15. Kevin theres a guy on the hamb selling 32 parts and has a k member for 500. Little pricy but you never know what he would really take. I will find it again and let you know.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

There is also a great guy storing a ruff one in my shed that I'd like to talk to if Kevin would like.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hi Gary, Bruce & Wyatt,
    I'll call ya a little later Gary, looking forward to talking to you, Bruce-Yup, he's talking about "Elmer-age". What a great guy!!!

Wyatt,
    I'd be so down for that K-Member no matter if it's ruff or tuff;).
    Thanks for all your help with the Hyper-Sonic Deuce. I'm not vey good at doing build threads, other than the one that I did when building the drive-in , so bear with me as we all take the road back to the lakes together.:D
    image.jpg

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'm finally going to.. Thanks for your encouragement. Still digging all of your history posts. Keep up the great work.

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, indeed, paintslinger. I was referring to your Grampaw. What a life he has led ! Makes me jealous.

Outback likes this.
  20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Was looking @ some pix after taking to Bruce, Later Gary and then Doc,
    Thanx guys for the phone chats…. You're all keeping me lit to get to the next lap of this build.
    Doc gave me a little more history of how Clem would drag him over to a few junk yards as he knew everyone in town. He then said that they go over to Jerauld's Speed Shop = Nat'l City,CA. which Doc said was a muffler shop as well and they change out pipes, make headers.

He said that Clem rarely kept the same speed equipment on and would swap out heads/intakes,carbs,ignition and wheel/tires even the 32 to the A body that we're bringing back all in the name of speed gain. I understand that guys did that kind of stuff all the time, an example would be Randy Shinn who just just changed out a whole Deuce Roadster and went with a record breaking 27 T-ster.

Some guys who wanted to go faster even swapped out to coupes for better aerodynamics, hence we have the Pierson and the John Langhorne Model 40 Coupes- the latter becoming the infamous So-Cal Coupe. Since SCTA wouldn't let the roofs run, Russetta was formed as well as others like Cal-Neva.

Clem decided that an A-body would be a dual purpose racer - driver, I have a cool little note in his writing that how he told the story of Gow Jobs and the cops. In short, he said that even if the cops knew that you and your Gow were cool, other guys who'd just strip the bumpers, fenders, running boards and relocate the lights, then go tear up the town and the car would be a total stocker,but to the un-educated would look like a Hot Rod=in short just a jalopy(no offense Ryan ;)).
    IMG_5934.JPG
    (circa 1941. copyright Clem Waske, property of Doc Waske-used with permission).
    If the cops didn't bust em all then the cops would get reamed…… It was a shame, but the truth.

Here's another image of Clem towing the A to the lakes, I understand that something petered out on the tow car and the racer basically powered the tow car by actually pushing it to the lakes. Shades of Bonnneville Boomer!!!!! Except a couple of years earlier.
    IMG_5873.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Stogy, Stovebolt and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

image.jpg Just thought that I'd post a pic of all the cut off stuff from the frame over 84 yrs of Hot Rod-ification....
    Have small children leave the room when viewing this mayhem, no frame should have endured such carnage. ;).

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOLY VINTAGE ROADSTER PICS ! ! Looks as if you are breaking new ground again with yet another History lesson. To me, it would be such an honor to meet Elmer and to have known Clem. I wish I could tell Clem about his taste in cars, ladies, and even the scenic background. He really was a fortunate guy. I so enjoyed El Mirage, but the most fun was talking with the Pasadena boys for an hour. all the while standing on that hallowed ground. After sharing a conversation with you about your car, the PRC, Elmer's car, and his Grandson, I can't believe I didn't connect the dots when I stopped and talked to the boys from Pasadena. You know, a mind is a terrible thing.......to lose ! Anyhoo, I'll be monitoring both Elmer's and Clem's stories. Happy motoring out there in Roadsterland. It is 650 pm, I have a full tank of fuel, a pouch of REDMAN(not really), a beautiful sky, and I'm on a mission for GOD, so I am going for a cruise. Take it easy, and will be talking to you soon. By the way, that last photo illustrates what should constitute as a felony in any state. Reckon there is a statute of limitations on frame assault ? What the Hell were people thinking ?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Outback, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my two cents, Cyclone, so here is really no help in your decision. Most rodders were working stiffs without trust funds in the '40s and '50s, so used split 'bones because they were "cheap", yet the hairpins appeared on many rods and racecars simultaneously. No help. Question: What do you prefer ? YOUR decision is the final, most important one. Either way will fall under the "traditional" category, IMHO.

Outback likes this.
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gary,
    Kool read!!!! Bruce is doing a great job on the Elmer-age Roadster, I've gotta catch up to him :D;)
    I've been collecting parts for mine for a long while, still don't have em all.
    So you like Clem's taste-As do I, He was a sign painter by trade, could pull great lines for lettering and did a great job on cartoons too. He definitely looks like he had a way with the dolls. Great taste in build too.

It's way too bad that we missed you out there after you drove all the way from San Antonio.
    I was there though. Maybe perhaps the CW Roadster will make a return visit???? IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG
    Here's a shot of the frame on the saw horses. image.jpg image.jpg

Outback, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It'll be the split bones just like Clem's as this car has to look like it did when he last ran it on the lakes.
    If it didn't have a history, then it would be fair game….. I really do like the ones in the rendering though quite a bit.
    The bracket Clem used was a pretty cool bracket for mounting the front bones to, I do need a set of bones and the brackets…. IMG_5899.JPG
    So that's where we're at Gary. I know that I don't have as set of these around…..

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Cyclone. I was out in my garage late tonight and found a pair of steel brackets that closely resemble what 'bones hook to off the side of the frame. If you want them, I will gladly send 'em to you if you will buy me a beer when I see you. I would feel really good to contribute to the resurrection of the C.W. I was told they haven't been on a car since the '50s. They attach to the frame with 4 bolts and have a tapered bung on the other end.

27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow, Kevin super awesome car and look forward to the build . It couldn't have gone to a better home my friend so so cool!

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Heck Gary , I won't just buy ya a beer, how about a 30 pack of your favorite, so we could knock down a few :).

Continental John,
    Thanks for the words, It's been along time, how's the Hot Rods and you doing? I hope great! This has been in the build line for a while as I was getting other stuff done, but since those projects have become useable it was time to really focus on this 29 A that I have had ever since the days of Primer Mag (e-Zine) and the beginning of the HAMB.

It's funny how we envision how something will be or how it was. This Hot Rod had always eluded me in images and vision. I'd see this build as a track nosed a along the lines of the 3 most famous A's.
    My idea was to incorporate all of the elements that I liked about the 3. When I found out about it lakes history, I still was at a quandary at just what to build and collect for parts. This has been going on for 13 yrs I'd guess.
    Only last year did I finally decide to work on the body and fix the rust that was rearing it's ugly self. The body is pretty much handled except for all the final prep, it's not going to be perfect or a show car, just what Clem had in the late 40's.
    Working on the frame now, boy what were later owners of that frame thinking????? Going to make roadworthy again- hopefully soon.
    Thanx,
    CK:D

Pat and volvobrynk like this.
  29. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

The frame you're starting with makes the one I started with for my T Roadster look good! I spent many nights after work undoing bad before I could start moving forward.

Pretty damn cool uncovering the history of this body after all this time you've been sitting on it.

Good luck with the project. I don't think Clem will mind if you hang a PRC plaque on it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Dennis,
    How ya been, is there new bundle of joy in the house yet? If so Congrats to Katie & you.

Yes that frame scares anyone who looks it over, but we've both been there before.... We'll just right the wrongs and bring her back so she can be reliable once again.

Although Clem was a San Diego Road Rambler and later a So Cal Roadster Club Member his son "Doc" gives his blessing to its rebirth, I hope the other guys in our PRC are good with me hanging my plaque on it when she's a runner again?

Thanks for the good words and hope to see ya soon.

CK.