Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Belair Full driveline swap underway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flutnie, Apr 25, 2016.

1. flutnie

flutnie

Well as of a week or so ago my original Powerglide has no reverse. (something on reverse drum broke off) So the cost to fix is near 2000.00!!!! no way.. So I have a donor 1975 corvette with a new 350 in it. Along with a th400 trans!! I also sourced a sweet 10 bolt rear from a 1996 Chevy S10 Blazer. I found one with 3:73 gears and Posi! So It begins... I know there is a bunch of right ups on this swap but I had a few questions...
    What are the best motor mount/trans cross member kits?
    What are the most cost effective way of tackling this swap?
    What have people done about a shifter (doesn't have to use the stock column shifter)
    What have people used to hook up the throttle linkage to stock gas pedal?
    Is there any extra parts like hoses and stuff (part numbers please) that just fit in work instead of the ol trial and error method

P.S. Will sell stock rear diff, Engine, and trans(Core of course).. Engine runs well with good oil pressure..

2. aaggie

aaggie

The TH400 is bigger than aTH350 and doesn't fit the frame without a lot of fabricating. A TH350 will clear the floor tunnel and the tailshaft clears the frame cross member. As far as shifter and throttle cable I would go with Lokar. The spring perches need to be redrilled so the axle centers in the wheel well. The stock perch hole for the spring tie bolt is offset so the torque tube can actually move. Good luck with the build it will be worth the hassle.

3. Also the rear springs are 2 inches wide and the ones from the s10 are 2 1/2 inch wide. really the mounts should be replaced with the proper width spring pad. I have a rear swap kit new in the box to use a late model rear on the original springs if you need one, ill hook ya up. in ended up using a chassis engineering rear spring kit for my 51 when I swapped the rear.

4. Also I use a lokar shifter in mine with the bench seat lever, works great. Mine had a reall crappy gas pedal out of an old truck in and I just swapped it out with a spoon pedal bolted to the firewall. Unless your radiator is tip top I would look at upgrading it. Chevs of the 40's sells a nice aluminum one that I used and it cools great with a mild small block, and it's less than 300 bucks.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nothing is cheap, or easy - yep, get a 350 or 200R4 trans - if you use a 350 the 3:73 rears gears would be way too low - but, would work with the 200R4 take a look at Speedway Motors & Summit Racing for motor mounts, crossmember, etc

6. X2 on that. My 51 has a 3:73 rear from a monte carlo and its a little too steep for easy highway cruising. I drive it daily but mostly on back roads so it

7. flutnie

flutnie

Thanks for the input... I was excited at first to find the 3:73 gears because that is what is in the 1975 corvette that I'm taking the motor and trans from. Maybe a gear swap will be in the future.
    Now for the th400...
    Walton Fab says there crossmember will fit a th400 trans. Is there a lot of fab work to make it fit the car? other than the crossmember? I think there about the same size as a 700r.

8. flutnie

flutnie

[​IMG]

Out she comes...

9. flutnie

flutnie

10. flutnie

flutnie

[​IMG]

Who wants to buy it?

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Now that you have the 6 and glide out, you could easily unbolt the glide and have it repaired, a lot easier to flip if it works.
    Try these:-
    http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/0203sc-eight/
    http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/135-0506-power-brake-1949-chevy/
    http://www.50chevy.com/category/how-to-articles
    Are you retaining OEM front end or upgrading as column will require modification / replacement?
    What about brakes, firewall or under floor?
    There are a few threads on the HAMB on this swap and firewall brake conversions.

12. flutnie

flutnie

I was going to keep the front original for now. I will have to trim the fire wall and under floor just enough to fit the small block.
    I am going to have to figure out something to do with the parking brake, whether I try to use some of the stock parts or a whole new system..

13. I have nothing usefull to ad but am really interested in seeing what you do to make the stock throttle pedal work. As well as what you do with the e-brake. I'm planning on doing a V8 swap to my '51 next winter.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 700R4 will also fit under the stock floor, and work well with the 3.73's. More gears are more better.

Walton Fab makes beyond top-notch stuff. Their top-swing pedal assembly is hella-tight, and worth every penny.

Stock e-brake has to go, as do the firewall reinforcements.
    [​IMG]
    Exhaust will be snug near the column. Smog manifolds work, if you plug the air injection tube holes.

15. flutnie

flutnie

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Made some progress in the last few days..

16. flutnie

flutnie

17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Walton is the expert on these cars. Frantic Fred uses his kits on Chevrolets.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. sunbeam

sunbeam

You need to remember that the bolt that holds the rear springs together is not centered in the wheel well like most cars. you will need to drill another hole in the axle pad to center the axle.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You might want to keep/sell the stock transmission cooler separately. They do not make them any more, and they are hard to find in good shape. For those that don't know, it's the thing spliced into the lower radiator hose, and is mounted just in front of the fuel pump. As far as swapping in the V-8, it's been well covered on the forum, so I won't go into how we did ours, again. You should look up the You Tube videos by the guy with the 53 powered by an LS motor, and drag races the car; it looks almost stock. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Do you know what the alternator mount came from?

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Those are alternator mounts from a 68 to 72 Chevy pickup. They work great and are usually easy to find in the bone yard. they may have come on the Vettes too... but I'm pretty sure a 75 Vette uses a long water pump and those brackets only work with a short pump. The same exact bracket setup I have on my 51. Just remember with those brackets they only ever seem to clear stock valve covers. Allmost all the short finned aftermarket covers will hit the alternator. The stock Vette finned covers fit fine..... and don't even think about tall valve covers.

23. flutnie

flutnie

It's all a stock 75 l82 corvette setup

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

A 75 corvette used a short pump?

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not just A short pump, but a Corvette-specific short pump.

26. That's right. I forgot the vette used that large hub pump. Same brackets are on the trucks. I must have 5 or 6 of them I've taken off from parting out those trucks.

27. flutnie

flutnie

Shes back on the road!! drives nice and runs great!!! Thanks for all the input and help